New Rifle - Barrett Fieldcraft

I've been modifying a Remington Model 700 throughout the year preparing it for a mountain hunt. McMillan Edge Tech, Trigger Tech, shortened barrel, glass bed, muzzle break, etc. The 700 kept it's factory barrel due to the fact that it was a shooter and I was running out of time.

40978316104_55b5f3816e_z.jpg

Last Thursday I noticed the stock had cracked and started to split.

29026391707_0539a34d00_z.jpg

Of course McMillan said ship them the stock and they would repair it. Since my hunt is in 6 weeks and I need to be shooting and I have no idea how long the repair will take, I "panicked" and made a few purchases last Friday. I don't know how this forum feels about Bud's Gun Shop, but I've got to give them a shout-out. Not only did they price match another online store for a $300 reduction, the .30-06 Fieldcraft was delivered in one business day on Monday.

43964455501_8c5f5ce673_z.jpg

I put it all together last night. I can't wait to shoot it. The rifle feels amazing in my hands. As picky as I am with my firearms (hence the semi-custom Remington's), Barrett seems to have put together a rifle that checks most all my boxes for what I wanted with this mountain gun.

30095955318_0a4b042b70_z.jpg

I should get some solid trigger time this weekend. 178 grain Hornady ELD-X will be the first bullet down the tube. If the guns meets it's accuracy guarantee, I'll have real hard time deciding which rifle to keep once the McMillan is returned. Either way, I'm going to have fun shooting, and I'll likely have a very capable lightweight 30-06 for sale soon.

Attachments

• 40978316104_55b5f3816e_z.jpg
    40978316104_55b5f3816e_z.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 107
I think those Barretts hit the mark for a lot of guys that really want a lightweight rifle without spending a fortune. I'd love to get one in a short action caliber. Looking forward to seeing how yours shoots!

Nice choice, I think you're going to like that setup. I have really been enjoying my SHV 3-10. Are those talley rings you put it in?

OP
dreamingWest
Yep, Talley 30mm Low. And for any future Fieldcraft buyers, a coupon card came in the box with the gun for free Talley rings in your choice of size.

OP
dreamingWest
Barrett Fieldcraft Impression after Day 1 Shooting:

Thank God for a 73 degree mid-August day in north Texas. This weather was unexpected and maybe that luck carried through to this particular rifle. I’ll try not to speak in too much hyperbole, but it was a great day. The Barrett Fieldcraft in 30-06 exceeded all my expectations. Never have I had such a fuss free rifle-scope-ammo combination from day 1. I was able to accomplish initial sight-in, field shooting, and dope confirmation all in the first day with very little effort. The rifle, paired with a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42, Talley 30mm low rings, and Hornady Precision Hunter 178 grain ELD-X worked great together. Throughout the shooting sessions it really made me question all that time spent in the reload shed and back and forth between a gunsmith on previous rifles and builds.

I started at the bench where I have targets at 50 and 100 yards. I also have a chronograph here so I could get good data for longer ranges later. Looking through the bore, I figured I’d hit paper at 100. I was wrong. Shot 1 missed paper. So I used the 50 yard gong for shot 2 and 3. Shot 4 and 5 got me close to the bull at 100. I adjusted for a rough 200 yard zero, and shot a group with shots 6, 7, and 8:

30116084378_4e16bcaee4_z.jpg

Sub ½ MOA with a 10X scope, no-lead sled, factory ammo, and a brand new barrel made me happy. And before anyone gives me hell about a 3–shot group, fair enough, I typically shoot 5. But on this morning, I just wasn’t ready to kill the buzz. I tweaked the scope for shot 9 and then went inside out of the rain to give the rifle its first cleaning. The Precision Hunter ammo averaged 2770 fps out of the 24” barrel. I’m sure I could speed this up to 2850-2900 with handloads, but I’m not sure I’ll take the time.

Once the rain let up I headed to the field for some longer shooting. I ended up shooting 17 more shots between 200 and 500 yards. My 800 yards target is blocked from view right now (we need to cut hay), but this rifle is meant for 500 yards and in. Again, this process was completely hassle free. Once I confirmed zero at 200:
Moved to 300, dial 2.4 MOA, shoot.
Moved to 400, dial 5.2 MOA, shoot.
Moved to 500, dial 8.2 MOA, shoot.
This was the typical 1st shot result when changing ranges:

29047366197_4252096c26_z.jpg

Using Hornady’s published G7 BC and 2770 fps with the Shooter App, I was near the bull with every shot. Like with the weather, maybe I was just getting lucky today, but it sure doesn’t feel like luck with this rifle. I think Barrett has hit it out of the park with their first hunting rifle. I think for folks looking for a great lightweight or mountain rifle, the Barrett Fieldcraft is an easy button. And if you care to dial your drops out past 300 yards, pair it with a compact Nightforce and it gets stress free.

Other Notes:
-Recoil on the bench felt worse than in the field. I think my form on the bench was probably poor. It reminded me of a stout 12 gauge 3” duck hunting load. Fine for hunting, not ideal for long range precision. That said, recoil really wasn’t a problem while shooting prone in the field.

-Cleaning the gun after the first 9 shots took more patches than expected. Cleaning the gun the second time after 17 more shots again took more patches than I expected but it did seem to clean up faster than the first time. With more shooting I’ll be interested to see how close it gets to my custom .260 regarding ease of cleaning.

-I think Barrett’s stress relieving process for their barrels is the real deal. This is a thin barrel, but I never experienced anything to make me suspect the barrel was hot and walking. This is also the first rifle I’ve shot with a fully bedded barrel so that could help as well. But I never really shot the barrel hot and don’t plan to. 3-5 shots at a time was all I was doing.

-10X is adequate magnification for 500 yards. However, for me, it’s pushing it if I’m trying to be really precise.

-Barrett opted to not weld or solder their bolt knob. This allows for a very small but perceptible wobble of the knob. When you’re shooting, this is a non-issue.

All together, this Fieldcraft and Nightforce combo seems like a rock solid, peanut butter and jelly combination for me. It gives me great vibes which unfortunately I can’t always say about my gear.

OP
dreamingWest
How did you crack the stock? Lead sled?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy, this McMillan very well could be a lead sled casualty. I’ve used a lead sled (with care) for years now during load development. However, I noticed the cracked stock after a day of field shooting, so I can’t say for sure. I know I never dropped the gun. Can’t say for sure about my gunsmith but I didn’t notice any damaged when picking it up from him.

To be clear. For the review above regarding the Fieldcraft, a lead sled was not used.

OP
dreamingWest
Is that the base of the recoil pad or the stock that failed?

McMillan looked at the images and stated they would repair the recoil pad. I'm not sure if the dark layer between the pad and painted stock is considered recoil pad or stock. I did see what looked like a little glass fibers in the cracked area.

Sodbuster

WKR
Had similar results with my Barrett 6.5. I have shot mine out to 850 yards several times and these rifles just shoot.
Thinking about a second one.

hodgeman

WKR
I've got to admit your experience with Barrett mirrors mine...absolutely the easiest rifle to get shooting right out of the box.

Bolt on a scope and start shooting 1/2" groups.

Just wait till you try load development...I can't find a load my 6.5 won't shoot- from 100gr Partitions to 143s...it shoots them all.

Skeeter

FNG
Nice! Would you mind sharing the store name you price checked against Buds. Been thinking of getting one myself.

OP
dreamingWest
Nice! Would you mind sharing the store name you price checked against Buds. Been thinking of getting one myself.

Cheaper Than Dirt. I went with Bud's because they already had my local FFL in their system.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
What does that rifle/scope combo weigh? I’ve been looking at getting a Montana in 280 AI for a while now and was able to handle a Barrett at the gun shop the other night and it has got me thinking.

I lust after my buddy's fieldcraft in 30-06, it's a sleek and beautifully executed rifle.

If they made one in .300WM or even better a .338WM sign me up, but I will probably get a .338 Kimber Montana.

Painless

FNG
My 6.5 Creed Fieldcraft is stupid good, it shoots 147 ELD-M and 143 ELD-X's into tiny knots, I went with an SWFA 6X and was hitting steel at 500 yards with ease. I have several custom rifles and if I were starting over I would have just gone with the Fieldcraft.