My Alamo Precision Rifles Ultralight 28 Nosler LR rifle's first 3 shots

jeffpg

WKR
Just wanted to share with you guys how my first 3 shots of load development went. A lot of thought and time went into this build and it turned out exactly how I envisioned it for years before it became a reality. A big shout out to Robert and the guys at APR of Hurst, Texas. I can't imagine a better outfit to have build your dream rifle. I wanted the lightest, most accurate long range rifle we could come up with and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

APR 28 Nosler Ultralight LR Custom Rifle
26" PROOF Research Light Sendero 1-8 Twist
Threaded 5/8x24 w/ Titanium Muzzle Brake
Pierce Titanium Action w/ Titanium Bolt
Titanium Recoil Lug
Jewell Trigger
APR BDL Bottom Metal
Manners EH3 Midnight Camo stock

The naked rifle weight = 5lbs 15.9oz

Leupold VX 6 3-18x44mm CDS T-MOA reticle
Hawkins Precision Long Range Hybrid rings

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 396
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 404
  • January05-E.jpg
    January05-E.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 310
  • January05-C.jpg
    January05-C.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 258
  • January05-D.jpg
    January05-D.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 298
I keep following these guys. they are local to me and seem to build great rigs. I need to stop in their shop some time and meet them. I am in the market for a custom rig built very similar to this. let us know how it shoots!

Great shop- and great group of guys-- they've done work on a few of my rifles and I finally bought a full up custom 22-250ai from them that shoots lights out. If you are around DFW I'd definitely make your way over to Hurst, TX.

Great looking rifle. What kind of velocity are you getting out of those 195's?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
Thanks guys, I have been building this rifle for many years in my mind... I was waiting for the perfect cartridge and builder to come along and I discovered both at about the same time. The results have indeed created a permanent grin and I am in love with this rifle. It handles, looks and shoots like a dream to me so there's literally nothing left to desire. I drew a New Mexico elk tag this year and can't wait for October to get here. I also got in on the Spartan Precision group buy and have their bipod and sling which should really compliment the rifle.

I had very limited time to shoot the rifle, as I was home for only a few days in between traveling to and from different states for work, and had several different things to take care of during my short time off. Therefore, I neglected to set up my chronograph for the initial load testing. When I get back home again that will definitely be a priority.

I do have another custom long range rifle built on the 28 Nosler, and the 80.5 grain load of Retumbo that I shoot in it, with the same 26" length bbl gives me 3050 at the muzzle. The load shown above that I started with was a step down from that at 78.5 grains of Retumbo, and to be honest although I have always been somewhat of a speed freak (without sacrificing accuracy of course), I am not quite as interested in it's speed as I am in the sub 1/4" group it delivered! I am guessing that this 78.5 load will come in at about 2950-2975 fps, possibly a bit less until the bore gets broken in.

I'll post up the next couple of 3 shot groups that utilized 80.5 and 82.5 grains of powder asap.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
That is SWEET! If you don’t want to post, could you PM me the cost of that build?

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
I checked my build ticket, and I also checked in with Robert at APR before sharing this publicly. To duplicate my build would put you in the ballpark of about $4500.00. I'd be mighty surprised if you can get the same quality of components, much less the customer service and attention to detail that I experienced for that amount anywhere else. That's just my sincere personal opinion. I wouldn't think of using anyone else. These guys are simply legit.

Alamo Precision Rifles

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
Here is the second 3 shot group of load testing from the new rifle. This is the same 80.5 grain load that I shoot out of my other custom 28 Nosler. It's a fairly mild load for the cartridge that produces 3050 fps with the 195 Berger EOL. I feel that this load is certainly acceptable and warrants possible further testing down the line, depending on what the outcome of the next level up powder charge delivers in the long run.

thumbnail2.jpg

Wapiti1

WKR
How long is the magazine? Did you have Alamo do any special throating for the 195's?

Very nice rifle. Well planned and executed.

Jeremy

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
Thanks for the kind words and the interest shown in my build. I consider it a very personal expression of what I wanted to create for back country hunting and it’s my pleasure to share it with you fellows. Sorry that I’m just getting back to this but I’ve been traveling and I’m currently out of town working.

I don’t recollect the magazine length off hand. APR did indeed throat for the 195 Berger. It has worked very well in my other 28 Nosler rifle and I don’t know of any bullet that’s out there that I’d rather shoot.

Danny1788

FNG
What COAL are you running with the 195? how far off the lands are you? or a base to Ogive measurement?

OP
jeffpg

jeffpg

WKR
7463EA88-93BC-4A72-A212-F97E4DBC8803.jpg

This third load of 82.5 grains of Retumbo has my interest. The first and second loads of 78.5 & 80.5 are nice, but this hotter charge also put 2 bullets into the same hole. I’m hoping the flyer was a fluke. I’ll see later with more testing after I’m home from work.

elkguide

WKR
View attachment 77844

This third load of 82.5 grains of Retumbo has my interest. The first and second loads of 78.5 & 80.5 are nice, but this hotter charge also put 2 bullets into the same hole. I’m hoping the flyer was a fluke. I’ll see later with more testing after I’m home from work.

Definitely has some real potential!