Going budget rifle...opinions

I have what I think would be in interesting conversation piece. As a new out west hunter with one western hunt under my belt I am looking at setting up a rifle more suited to the spot and stalk methods of western hunting. That being said I am building a custom gun set up just for this in the near future.
The idea I have in my mind though for fun is taking a rifle that I got for nearly nothing through some wheeling and dealing, and turning it into a lightweight gun that would thrive for western hunting. The rifle is a mossberg patriot chambered in 30-06, and topped with a vortex viper hs scope. The rifle has proven very reliable, and I consistently can shoot moa with this rifle. Also the more I dig into it, it is actually a decently light platform.
So if I was to sink a little money into this via a stock upgrade, cerakote, change the scope out for a smaller, lighter leupold, and put a muzzle brake on it ( I'm not afraid to admit I'm a little recoil sensitive ) I think I could get this gun right around the 7lb. mark scoped, maybe even a little lighter.
Any thoughts or opinions on this?
Again this is more for fun and to see your thoughts, but if it ends up making sense I would actually build this rifle

Apollo117

WKR
I think it's a good idea and definitely doable. Do you know if the Mossberg uses the same action screw spacing as one of the more major rifle actions? I mean, does the Mossberg use the same action screw spacing as say a Rem 700? I have no clue, but if it does then you're in luck with finding a lightweight aftermarket stock.

A lightweight Leupold will definitely help. You may want to look into shortening the barrel too. An 18" barrel on a 30'06 doesn't give up much, but it will reduce weight and make the rifle slightly easier to carry.

If you decide to proceed with this project, please give updates!

OP
44maghunter
Yes I forgot to put shortening the barrel in my original post but I would go between 18" or 20" and I am not sure on the action screw spacing yet, I have heard they are similar to Howa but I haven't verified that yet

TauPhi111

WKR
There are several rifles out there that are Howa actions (Weatherby Vanguard, S&W 1500) but I can't remember the is Mossberg is one of them. If they are, then there are several ultralight stock options out there. The barrel chop will definitely help too. I'd go 20".

OP
44maghunter
I am trying to research and figure out if it is howa or not. I know the action itself definitely is not howa, but I've read a few sources that state the action bolts are the same spacing. The stock is definitely going to be the limiting factor on this build. I'm hoping I can find something that works as I think this would be a cool project, something you don't see every day that's for sure

JWP58

WKR
I would leave it as is, or get a lightweight scope/rings and call it good. I would then determine what you really want and go from there. Having multiple rifles isn't a bad thing, right tool/right job.

OP
44maghunter
I would leave it as is, or get a lightweight scope/rings and call it good. I would then determine what you really want and go from there. Having multiple rifles isn't a bad thing, right tool/right job.

I already know what I really want and am building it.
This Mossberg would just be a fun side project to see what can really be done with a budget gun for dirt cheap, I got this gun for almost nothing so I don't mind putting a little money into to have some fun.
I may very well end up just leaving it, I just posted this up to see any cool ideas or thoughts on it

A 7 lb .30-06 with a shorter barrel that shoots well is the ideal rifle in my book. If you like the gun I wouldn’t worry about resale and spending some $ on it, but I wouldn’t dump so much into it that you could have bought something better either.

I put a removable brake on my .30-06 to make it more enjoyable sighting in and working up loads off the bench, but the single best thing I did to overcome my propensity for flinching was spending a lot of time behind my .223. I was sighting in and working up loads with my muzzleloader last week, and the recoil from a 6 lb gun pushing a 300 gr bullet is very unpleasant, especially working your way towards 20 rounds. Even though I was grunting curse words after each shot I didn’t have any issues with flinching.

OP
44maghunter
A 7 lb .30-06 with a shorter barrel that shoots well is the ideal rifle in my book. If you like the gun I wouldn’t worry about resale and spending some $ on it, but I wouldn’t dump so much into it that you could have bought something better either.

I put a removable brake on my .30-06 to make it more enjoyable sighting in and working up loads off the bench, but the single best thing I did to overcome my propensity for flinching was spending a lot of time behind my .223. I was sighting in and working up loads with my muzzleloader last week, and the recoil from a 6 lb gun pushing a 300 gr bullet is very unpleasant, especially working your way towards 20 rounds. Even though I was grunting curse words after each shot I didn’t have any issues with flinching.

If it took a ton of money I definitely wouldn't do it, that would defy my whole purpose so no worries there. And I do practice with smaller calibers often as well. And I totally agree with you on the ideal gun

OP
44maghunter
Shortening the barrel will make it louder, something to think about if you are battling the flinch.

I can deal with the noise, it's my shoulder that is the problem. Injury from my younger days as lol. It's not terrible, just I can feel an average weight 30-06 after about 8 rounds, then it starts getting unpleasant

OP
44maghunter
Little update. The action is not even close to the Howa. The action itself is actually very similar to a remington 700 but it has a WAY smaller action bolt spacing. I've contacted a few companies and nobody makes anything for an aftermarket stock for this rifle. So I ordered mossbergs factory synthetic stock and it arrived yesterday. While the stock did shave off almost 1/2 pound from the walnut stock currently on the rifle, it just wasn't what I was looking for...was plenty rigid feeling, but at the same time just felt not right, so I am returning it.

sorry your'e hitting road blocks. That is very easy to do when building off anything other than 700 and tikka actions. I was in a nearly identical spot with a savage.

OP
44maghunter
sorry your'e hitting road blocks. That is very easy to do when building off anything other than 700 and tikka actions. I was in a nearly identical spot with a savage.

Yea I figured it was going to be tough, this is exactly why my "actual" rifle build is off of a tikka action. The mossberg is great as is for a wi deer gun so if I cant make this happen it's really no skin off my bones. Just thought it would be cool and different and a fun little project.
Either way this gun will be harvesting some meat so it's a win no matter what