Airline cases

ofl0926

WKR
Evening everyone.
So I’m going on an out of state rifle hunt this year. I’m looking at some rifle cases. I’m looking at pelican, vault by pelican and Lakewood. What do you guys use? Also should i bring one rifle or two rifles? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Boyt double rifle case. It's housed my rifles for many NA hunts and been to 3 continents over the last 6 years. Very tough case. The Pelican 1750 would by my second choice. Also tough as nails.

One rifle. Two scopes. It is pretty hard to kill a rifle, but scopes can be a little more troublesome.

Make sure you get two sets of non-TSA locks for the case. You're not supposed to use TSA locks on firearms cases, but they occasionally, for no known reason, cut your locks off.

Jeremy

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Boyt double rifle case. It's housed my rifles for many NA hunts and been to 3 continents over the last 6 years. Very tough case. The Pelican 1750 would by my second choice. Also tough as nails.

One rifle. Two scopes. It is pretty hard to kill a rifle, but scopes can be a little more troublesome.

Make sure you get two sets of non-TSA locks for the case. You're not supposed to use TSA locks on firearms cases, but they occasionally, for no known reason, cut your locks off.

Jeremy

Do you have a link to the specific case you use?
I never thought about two scopes and one rifle vs two rifles. Good point.
Thanks for the heads up on the locks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idig4au

WKR
Pelican 1750 with foam tightly cut around rifle and other items. Been on multiple flights without issue.

x2 for bringing a spare master lock. I've had issues twice with locks getting damaged. Mostly when flying up north????

Wapiti1

WKR
Here are the ones I suggested:

https://boytharness.com/product/h51-double-long-gun-case-2/

Cabelas sells the Boyt case under the Cabelas brand for a lot less.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...ouble-long-gun-hard-case/1318394.uts?slotId=6

The Pelican 1750;
1750 Protector Long Case | Pelican

I've used both and they both work well. I do pull out the middle foam leaving the lid and bottom foam. My rifle goes in a soft case, then into the hard case. I pack clothes and other hunting goodies around the rifle until it weighs 49.9 lbs. Things like tripods, shooting sticks, trekking poles, etc. are a lot easier to pack into the rifle case than my other luggage. YMMV on this. It is just my preferred packing method.

Pack the extra riflescope with your rifle. All other optics/camera go in your carry on. The riflescope will freak out some TSA agents even though it is perfectly fine to carry on, so just avoid the drama.

Jeremy

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was glancing around the other day, the pelican are highly rated. Another I can across that looked somewhat interesting was the seahorse SE1530 Seahorse-SE1530-Waterproof-Protective-Long-Equipment-Case-Wheels

The few reviews I found seemed favorable, sounds like a little more mid panel flex that comparable pelican cases but that may or maynot be a problem depending on your application and how you pack it.

rayporter

WKR
get a good one.

they can destroy about anything. I spotted what looked like a pelican in the dumpster at the supershoot a few years ago all busted up. it had one end missing.

I shipped a rifle once in a good case all taped up in a cardboard box, it arrived with the barrel sticking out. no damage but.......

FWIW the boyt/cabelas are bigger than the pelicans and can be easier to get two rifles or two rifles and handguns into if you are ever traveling with a buddy.