Help with budget Tikka build

Found the "Tikka deals" thread yesterday and couldn't help but pick up a T3 Lite in 270 Win. Im a rifle novice in almost every aspect. Living in Ohio we cant hunt much with a rifle, so my experience is minimal compared to archery gear.

Id like to set this up for Black Bear, Antelope, Mule deer, etc. The distance shots are taken on game will depend on how much practice i can get in, or how much practice my wife gets in before the hunt. I would like this rifle setup as bomb proof as possible and be as usable as possible with a factory load. I have $400 in the gun, i would like to keep a scope and mounts within $400 as well.

What power and brands are most of you guys running? Any simple things i can do when setting up to maximize accuracy?

Thanks for the help guys!

JWP58

WKR
Swfa fixed 6 or 10x mil/mil (or moa if you prefer). On sale they are almost a no brainer (got mine for 239).

Apollo117

WKR
I just bought a Tikka T3 Superlite chambered in .270 from the classifieds a few weeks ago. I topped it with Talley two piece low scope base/rings and a Burris Fullfield 3x9.

I've only shot about 12 rounds through it to sight in. It shoots the 130 grain Hornady Superformance alright. It shoots the 130 grain Winchester Powercore very well.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex Diamondback HP is a pretty nice scope for the price. Not a big fan of fixed power scopes for hunting (as someone recommended above).

Vortex Diamondback HP is a pretty nice scope for the price. Not a big fan of fixed power scopes for hunting (as someone recommended above).

The Diamondback HP underperforms when it comes to low light situations. If you gotta stay under 400 i’d recommend something Leupold. Their under $400 stuff is hard to beat.

Muttly

WKR
DNZ one piece mount, likely be able to find a used SWFA 3-9x42, for close to or a bit over your budget, if you have a little wiggle room.
Cover a fair bit of ground, but, be a wee bit heavy, likely 7 lbs, 12-13 ounces with that combo. And FFP, which you may not like for hunting...

ljalberta

WKR
I will third the Leupold recommendation. In that price range I would go with some Talley lightweight rings and a Leupold VX3i. It would probably be around $400-$450 I'd guess. I think the VX3 you also notice a worthwhile improvement over te lower Leupold series. I've also tried the Vortex Diamondback, Diamondback HP, Viper, Viper HS, and a few Bushnells in that price range. The pick for me is a VX3i.

OP
M
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I will probably stay away from the vortex stuff, just because i feel like their quality has gone down some in the last few years, to the point id hate to trust it to much. At least that has been my experience with multiple pairs of their binos.

Ill look into the Leupold stuff, going over budget a little isnt the end of the world if it bumps me up to a better level of equipment.

Another recommendation for the VX-3i in that price range. I have 2 of them and like them quite a bit. You can get a 3.5-10x with the CDS for around $350, and less if you are patient and keep an eye out. DNZ one-piece mount is about $45, and you have a pretty good setup for under $400.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
DNZ one piece mount, likely be able to find a used SWFA 3-9x42, for close to or a bit over your budget, if you have a little wiggle room.

^^^This is good advice ^^^

I would go with the fixed 6X or 10X SWFA over anything Vortex or Leupold in the sub $400 price range.

OP
M
So eBay had 15% off today and I pulled the trigger on a leupold 3.5x10-40 vx3i and a set of DNZ 1 piece rings. Total came to $320. Looking forward to getting it mounted and start the process of finding a ammo combo it likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk