Help with Steyr ProHunter in .300 WM

archp625

WKR
I purchased a Steyr ProHunter in .300 WM. I am now ready to mount a scope on this gun. The scope has a 42mm objective and a 1" tube. What are my options for mounting this scope to the gun?

I see most people use the Talley 2 piece rings. My problem is with all my research some people say you have to use the high rings so the bolt handle wont hit your optic where others say a medium will work. I would like to use the medium so the scope is not to high about the barrel.

I would have to order the rings, so it will be a pain in the butt for trial and error.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Apollo117

WKR
I have a Burris Fullfield E1 3x9 40mm. I just bought a set of Talley two piece low rings. I plan on installing this weekend. I'll let you know how the lows work.

Wapiti1

WKR
It is scope dependent on the diameter of the power change ring or eyepiece. Mediums will work with most scopes. If in doubt, order both heights and return a set.

I would suggest the DNZ one piece rings over the Talley's. I've seen a couple of Talley's crack. The DNZ's are stout for an aluminum ring. Browning A-bolt rings/bases work on a Steyr Prohunter.

Jeremy

hodgeman

WKR
The Steyr SBS 96 action has a 70 degree bolt lift. I doubt very seriously you'll hit the eyepiece with medium (or even low) mounts unless you're using a scope with an enormous eye box. For reference, a Tikka T3 has a 75 degree bolt lift.

Apollo117

WKR
It is scope dependent on the diameter of the power change ring or eyepiece. Mediums will work with most scopes. If in doubt, order both heights and return a set.

I would suggest the DNZ one piece rings over the Talley's. I've seen a couple of Talley's crack. The DNZ's are stout for an aluminum ring. Browning A-bolt rings/bases work on a Steyr Prohunter.

Jeremy
Does DNZ make a one piece from 7075 aluminum alloy? I specifically chose Talley because they use 7075 instead of the softer 6000 series aluminum.

Just curious. I have a DNZ mount on a Savage that works just fine. Not sure it really matters on a non-magnum.

Wapiti1

WKR
DNZ uses 6061T6 for their one piece integral rings. My take is that Talley makes them a little too thin on the ring cap. I've seen two crack on non-magnum rifles, but the scopes were heavy Nightforces.

Jeremy

Apollo117

WKR
Were you able to install the rigs and scope this weekend? How did it go?
I was able to install. Sorry I did not take pics, I was in a hurry.

The Talley two piece lows gave me about 3/8" clearance between the bell of the scope and the barrel. There's plenty of clearance between the bolt and scope body when cycling the bolt. For reference, the scope is a Burris Fullfield E1 illuminated reticle, 3x9 40mm, 1" tube.

So far I am impressed with the fit, finish and quality of the Talley rings. We'll see how they hold up long term.

I used blue Loctite on all the screws and tightened the Talley's with a Wheeler torque wrench according to the recommended specs on Talley's website. So, if these rings fail I can't blame it on improper installation.

I zeroed my Tikka after installation. The groups are very similar to what I was getting before the Talley's. I trust the Talley's more than the windage adjustable Leupold bases and rings that were originally on the rifle.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Thanks for the update Apollo117. I got talked into DNZ rings because they had them in stock. I picked some up this week in medium. I'm hoping to get them on today or tomorrow.

Apollo117

WKR
Welcome. I've got a set of DNZ lows on my Savage model 16 LWH. I like them. Let us know how it goes.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Apollo117, I tried tonight and it did not go well. As I have read the bolt handle touches the eyepiece of the scope. I am mounting a Nikon monarch 5 3-15 x 42. I was afraid of this with any rings. One other note was if it did work, the scope was a little higher that I would like. Do you guys have any other options? It just barely touches it. I’m thinking a 20 MOA rail then some rings.

Apollo117

WKR
Apollo117, I tried tonight and it did not go well. As I have read the bolt handle touches the eyepiece of the scope. I am mounting a Nikon monarch 5 3-15 x 42. I was afraid of this with any rings. One other note was if it did work, the scope was a little higher that I would like. Do you guys have any other options? It just barely touches it. I’m thinking a 20 MOA rail then some rings.
Yikes. Sorry to hear that archp625. I've had that happen with scopes in the past. I hope I didn't steer you in the wrong direction.

Yes. I think you may need a base to mount the rings to in order for the bolt to clear the scope body. I'm thinking the ring height isn't the issue so much as the bolt throw. Raising the scope with taller rings or a base is the solution either way.

You may look into a DIY cheek riser, or purchasing a cheek riser. This will counter act raising the scope. I have a Savage model 14 that I tried several sets of rings before settling on a set of high rings just to clear the ridiculously sized bolt knob. I cut a section of pipe insulation, then used Velcro and a butt stock shell holder to keep the insulation in place. There is just barely enough scope clearance. It's not a pretty cheek riser, but it works.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
No man, not at all. Not harm done at all. I can return them an move on. This gun is starting to be a pain in the butt and I haven't even shot it yet. I'm going to call Steyr and see what that have to say. Surely someone can help.