Tikka T3 Super Lite 7mm Rem Mag Mountain Rifle

Justin has been doing some load development for me. She is getting tight!

Any load data that Justin would be willing to divulge? Also, do the HSM rounds with the 168 Bergers fit in the stock Tikka mag?

I just got a tikka in 7mm mag and this thread was really helpful to me in my selection of components.

Thanks!

Any load data that Justin would be willing to divulge? Also, do the HSM rounds with the 168 Bergers fit in the stock Tikka mag?

I just got a tikka in 7mm mag and this thread was really helpful to me in my selection of components.

Thanks!

Not sure about the load data... but I have a Tikka T3X Lite 7mm mag and the HSM 168gr Bergers do indeed fit in the mag just fine. Also, they've shot really well for me!

mt100gr.

WKR
I will chime in here as I piggybacked on this thread and put together a T3 Superlite a lot like Brock's.

I too had great luck with the HSM ammo. Very consistent and well under MOA for 3 and 5 shot groups.

I started handloading for this rifle.with the 168 classic hunter. I didn't play with it much as the initial load worked very well. I used the spec COL of 3.29/ CCI 250 primers and Retumbo and H1000. I tested up to max charges but found better performance about a grain of powder shy of max. ( Berger Manual ) again, I didn't play with seating depth at the top of.the ladder, I just reduced the charge to where I was seeing the best accuracy.

Last winter I switched to the 168 HVLD. I stayed with Retumbo and H1000 for powders and found that Win WLRM primers worked.best for me. I measured my distance to the lands and tried to find accuracy close to.there but ended up going all the way back to where the HSM ammo is seated and working back further. Currently I am long jumping the VLD .130 off the lands in my rifle. I have been happy with Retumbo and am under max.

This load round right at 2950.

I think I may be able to iron out a few consistency issues if I went back to H1000 but have been squandering that for my 300.

Either way, I would recommend starting with the HSM ammo for a baseline and find some H1000 and Retumbo.

As always, work up the loads in your rifle.

I know its not my 7mm, but my .260 Tikka shoots(and by shoots I mean sub-quarter MOA shoots) 140 bergers at SAAMI length, which is way off the lands. Don't automatically think you have to jam them right up next to the lands for these VLDs to shoot!

Thanks guys. I was just asking because my new T3X shot cheap Winchester ammo ~1 MOA when I broke her in so I figure she can shoot much better with real ammo. I tried some initial load development with the 162 gr Hornady HPBT Match bullets (similar ogive to Berger VLD) with 55.0 gr IMR 4350 to COL of 3.300" and couldn't get them to group at all. Figured it might be the jump. I've reseated another batch to 0.020" off the lands and will see where that puts me. Otherwise, I'll just spend the money for Bergers cuz everyone seems to be shooting those well.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Another factory ammo option that might be lights out is the new Hornady ELDX in 7mm Rem Mag. Looks like these come in the 162 ELDX. Worth a try as they are about $10-12 cheaper per box than the HSM Bergers.

I'll give em a run and report back. Just picked up a lightly used SuperLite in 7Mag for $600. Couldn't say no.

brn2hnt

WKR
My T3x SL has loved everything I run through it so far. Hornady 139 gr american whitetail and 162 ELD-X in their precision hunter line. The precision hunter rounds shot a .778" group at 200 and still held less than MOA to 550, the farthest I've ever shot at a range, though it's given me the itch to go find some rocks in the hills when thew weather gets better. Now that the range isn't flooded anymore I hope to continue testing handloads. So far have only pressure tested some 160 gr partitions over H100, but have some 150 gr Sciroccos and 175 gr Partitions to play with as well.

RECCE

FNG
I am interested in purchasing a Tikka T3x LITE 7MM Rem Mag and installing a Area 419 Hellfire Muzzle Brake. Can anyone provide the muzzle diameter or recommend the correct thread pitch to use for the brake. I would like to purchase the muzzle brake now and give the gunsmith everything at once. Thank you for your input.

270quest

WKR
T3x superlite 7...GAP painted stock with vertical grip (not in pic), Warne pic base, swfa SS 6x, 162’s at 3000 behind H1000...its rang 8” steel at 800...it’s a keeper.3FEFF24E-C7DD-4F64-A2AD-759D55C7280D.jpegF2826574-02A5-4494-A4E9-6838B403F819.jpeg

Attachments

• F96F69EB-AD1A-4485-AF62-7FF15B2FEDF9.jpeg
    F96F69EB-AD1A-4485-AF62-7FF15B2FEDF9.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 78

NorCalFD

FNG
Anyone tried duracoat for the T3 stock? I know it’s popular for poly handguns but how about the wear and tear on a rifle stock?

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just thought I would post a little about this gun. I will not be taking this rifle in the field with me this season. I bought a new gun.

This gun has been excellent and I was very happy with everything. Once I got rid of the vortex and put a Nightforce on there, it really performed. This rifle killed over a dozen animals in 5 or so years.

Anyway, glad this thread is still going!

Brock

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
Just thought I would post a little about this gun. I will not be taking this rifle in the field with me this season. I bought a new gun.

This gun has been excellent and I was very happy with everything. Once I got rid of the vortex and put a Nightforce on there, it really performed. This rifle killed over a dozen animals in 5 or so years.

Anyway, glad this thread is still going!

Brock

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

well, where are the pics of the new 1st stringer?

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know the outside diameter of the superlite barrels? And going off that, any options for a (somewhat) seamless brake?

If I recall correctly it is a 0.625" muzzle, but I will dig my 6.5cm out of the safe and measure this Friday.

Ross Brakes is what I hear recommended the most for what you're after, they will taper their brakes to match the muzzle diameter you give them, and if you provide a thread protector with 12 o'clock marked they can turn it so it will be properly timed when tightened so you're not stuck using crush/peel washers.

If I recall correctly it is a 0.625" muzzle, but I will dig my 6.5cm out of the safe and measure this Friday.

Ross Brakes is what I hear recommended the most for what you're after, they will taper their brakes to match the muzzle diameter you give them, and if you provide a thread protector with 12 o'clock marked they can turn it so it will be properly timed when tightened so you're not stuck using crush/peel washers.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

mt100gr.

WKR
T3x superlite 7...GAP painted stock with vertical grip (not in pic), Warne pic base, swfa SS 6x, 162’s at 3000 behind H1000...its rang 8” steel at 800...it’s a keeper.View attachment 92230View attachment 92226

How does that 8" steel look thru the 6x at 800?

I put together a rifle on this thread a few years ago and right now i am trying to figure out a new scope. I have a 6x on a Superlite '06 and a 10x on a CTR. I have had them out side by side and I just can't commit. My 7mm is a hunting rifle and i have always used variable power scopes for hunting (the 30-06 always gets left at home...)

I have looked thru the 6x and 10x at everything I can think of to compare to a deer sized target, just not at 800 yards yet.

270quest

WKR
How does that 8" steel look thru the 6x at 800?

I put together a rifle on this thread a few years ago and right now i am trying to figure out a new scope. I have a 6x on a Superlite '06 and a 10x on a CTR. I have had them out side by side and I just can't commit. My 7mm is a hunting rifle and i have always used variable power scopes for hunting (the 30-06 always gets left at home...)

I have looked thru the 6x and 10x at everything I can think of to compare to a deer sized target, just not at 800 yards yet.

Truth be told, 8" steel at 800 thru the 6x is really pushing it....I shoot quite a bit and that really stretches by ability. However this rifle is a 5-600 yard hunting rifle and the 6x is plenty. My other tikka (6.5 creed) runs a 3-10x42 SHV and for a hunting scope, that one is really hard to beat - checks every box I need. Sometime down the road I will upgrade the 6x SS to another 3-10 SHV.

mt100gr.

WKR
Truth be told, 8" steel at 800 thru the 6x is really pushing it....I shoot quite a bit and that really stretches by ability. However this rifle is a 5-600 yard hunting rifle and the 6x is plenty. My other tikka (6.5 creed) runs a 3-10x42 SHV and for a hunting scope, that one is really hard to beat - checks every box I need. Sometime down the road I will upgrade the 6x SS to another 3-10 SHV.

Good stuff. Thank you. You have illustrated my dilemma to a tee. And we clearly have similar good taste. that 3-10 SHV is also on a 6.5 T3x and another SHV is my front runner to go on the 7mm.
As badly as I'd like to keep it simple with a fixed 6x, like you, the SHV checks all the boxes as a hunting scope. To keep with the theme of this thread - the work horse of this herd, my 7mm that I set up years ago just like the OP, is what compelled me to replace a number of rifles with Tikkas. 20190209_125207.jpg

Doghed

WKR
Anyone tried duracoat for the T3 stock? I know it’s popular for poly handguns but how about the wear and tear on a rifle stock?

I've coated two T3 factory stocks. One with Krylon Fusion and the other with the 'can-within-a can' Duracoat product (the barrel, bolt and action were Cerakoted). The fusion wore through on the stock where my scruffy face cheek weld is. The Duracoat is still holding up and it is a smoother/nicer looking finish IMO.

I just finished Duracoating my turkey gun yesterday. I've only used colors out of their tactical flat product line.