Tikka T3 Super Lite 7mm Rem Mag Mountain Rifle

simpy16

FNG
simpy16,
A .270 will work fine for elk. The 7mm is better all around in my opinion but both will work. The .300 wsm or .300 win mag are also great all around options.

Also, I have shot both the .300wsm and the 7mm mag in a Tikka T3 and they are okay without brakes. With that said, I would put a brake on every rifle if I could afford it.

Why would you put a brake on every rifle if you could?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Why would you not? haha

With a brake I can keep my target in my scope better after the shot which helps with follow up shots. I can spot my own hits and misses which is a really big plus with long range shooting. With a brake even the mildest rifle is more fun to shoot.

Right now I have my custom 6.5-06 Ackley and my buddy's 7mm Tikka at Hells Canyon Armory getting Micro Bastard brakes installed.

IMAG0034_zpsr69ydflr.jpg

When they are done with those, I'm sending my R15 VTR over for a brake. And maybe my Tikka .243.

This is the brake I'm thinking for my R15. https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.co...ucts_id=1570&zenid=qhccqhq8f8op87m1ev02g5d1u6

Last edited:
OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
So for you brake users, do you then carry ear plugs with you when you are hunting?

I texted littlebuf the other day saying I am packing my custom ear plugs. They weigh nothing and roll into my ears in a split second. Its a must I think.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't carry earplugs hunting. I should carry them all the time whether I'm shooting with a brake or not.

I was just talking to my friend about this the other day. He was laying prone next to my brother when he shot an elk with his 30-378 with a brake and Ryan mentioned that he didn't even notice that it was loud. This has been my experience using brakes for hunting also.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
So for you brake users, do you then carry ear plugs with you when you are hunting?

I usually don't. I've got a Defensive Edge brake on my .300wm and love shooting it. People complain at the range occasionally but it's loud when you're at the gun range. It happens.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't carry earplugs hunting. I should carry them all the time whether I'm shooting with a brake or not.

I was just talking to my friend about this the other day. He was laying prone next to my brother when he shot an elk with his 30-378 with a brake and Ryan mentioned that he didn't even notice that it was loud. This has been my experience using brakes for hunting also.

I don't remember the noise of you shooting at the bear last year and I was right next to you. I think when you are hunting and taking a shot your adrenaline is pumping so much that you don't hear the shot but in reality the damage is being done to your hearing. Thinking back, all the years I have duck hunted I have never worn ear protection and after a good morning of shooting I would have a pounding headache. I realized it was from the shooting. I think its good practice to have it and I am going to start be better about it.

Tanner

WKR
I toted a T3 Super Lite 7mm Rem Mag around this season hunting bucks, too... Nice rifle. I traded it as I wasn't crazy at all about the bottom "metal" as I tend to be really hard on rifles. It drove me crazy not having enough latitude in the mag box to be able to reach the lands, but that thing shot like a MoFo for weighing 7.2lbs scoped.

500 yards....162 A-Max and 7828

This buck ate a 168 VLD at 215 yards. Not much of a fair test but it did the job extremely quickly.

Of course I had to paint it up, too.

I'll own another Tikka, no doubt. Probably a 243 or .308 for my sister to blast stuff with. Really nicely put together rigs.

Tanner

cleatus

FNG
Sweet rifle. I have the exact same rifle but with a leupold vx3 4.5-14. I broke mine in with cheap remmington 150gr. Corelocks and was impressed so much I'm still shooting them. Shooting 1 moa at 400 yards. Haven't shot any farther yet. For the money them Tikkas are hard to beat.

I'm a little late with ear protection comments but this is what I use:
Gun Range, sighting in, or when shooting a lot I like these inexpensive disposable foam plugs. They really do a great job blocking the noise:

When hunting I will carry and use either of these two. The unit with the rubber fins is very quick to install and gives adequate protection if you are in a hurry. The foam pieces give better hearing protection but take longer to roll up, insert, and wait to expand and obturate the ear canal.

All of these are cheap and easily found at your local hardware store.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well we finally had some nice weather so my girlfriend and I headed into the mountains to do some shooting. I shot another 20 rounds out of the Tikka and was pretty happy with it towards the end. Same factory HSM ammo.

This group is shots 33, 34 & 35 out of this gun.

This group is shots 36, 37 & 38 out of this gun. I am really happy with this one.

ST52v

WKR
Nice job !! I am assuming you are holding on the corners of the orange square? How far? What was the wind doing?

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice job !! I am assuming you are holding on the corners of the orange square? How far? What was the wind doing?

Yep I was shooting for that orange corner square. 100 yards and the wind wasn't a factor. I was shooting down a lane that was protected on both sides by some trees.