Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

The model 92 Backcountry rifle is one of the newest offerings from Cooper Firearms. It features a lightweight action weighing only 11 ounces, and a lightweight stock weighing just 20 ounces, both of which are manufactured by Cooper. With careful selection of materials, we’ve been able to produce an ultra light rifle capable of chambering belted magnum calibers that weighs just 5.75 pounds, or 92 ounces, serving as its namesake. Jewell triggers were chosen for this rifle, as we feel they offer the most adjustability and well, it’s the best trigger you can put on a rifle. Sporting a 24 inch light contour fluted barrel, the rifle balances nicely. At the end of the barrel is a Cooper-designed muzzle brake that tames recoil amazingly. This rifle features a three round detachable magazine and a 7075 aluminum trigger guard to reduce weight further. In addition to being incredibly light, the Backcountry rifle comes standard with an all-stainless steel action to resist even the nastiest of weather. Traditional chromoly is also available upon request. All calibers in the 30-06 family as well as belted magnum family are available up to .338 caliber, as well as the 6.5x284 Norma. Lastly, this rifle will carry the same accuracy guarantee as all Cooper centerfire rifles up to .338 caliber, which is ½ MOA at 100 yards.

M92 Backcountry
• lightweight Cooper model 92 action
• Jewell trigger
• 24” fluted barrel with muzzlebrake
• Detachable three round magazine
• Advanced composite lightweight Cooper stock
• all-stainless steel action (chromoly available on request)
• all standard long action and belted magnum (up to 338 caliber) calibers available
• 5.75 lbs
• ½ MOA accuracy guarantee

elkguide

WKR
Do I really "NEED" another rifle???????????????????????????????????????

Be strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an incredible sounding rifle!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the rifle I have been dreaming of since I had to watch some legal rams walk away that I could not close the gap on. An accurate, light weight rilfe in .300 wm. Many others have tried, but nothing beats the specifications on this rifle in terms of price and accuracy. You might get a local smith to build you one that is close, but a Cooper is a Cooper..

I was REALLY jacked up about getting a chance to review this rifle. However, I drew a once in a lifetime sheep tag for this fall. I put in for 3 tags, 2 rifle, one archery. As a rifle hunter who shoots a bow for fun, I was stunned to draw DS140. With that said I won't be packing a rifle in sheep country this fall.

So Luke is going to take over the review on the Cooper Model 92 Backcountry. If I could have designed the perfect rifle the following would be it, and it is what I ordered from Cooper. I ordered up a full stainless rifle, 300 wm, earth tone stock, with an extra mag. I'm not sure how far down the production line the rifle got so Luke may change things up a bit. But, you know Luke will test it hard and you will get a good review. And the rifle will go on a mountain hunt, exactly as it is designed for.

Oh, and in case you missed it.. That rifle is FREAKING 92ozs!!!!!! Man do I want to get my hands on that rifle!!! : (

But I am in no position to complain, I have an amazing sheep tag to pursue. So my Xpedition X7 gets the nod for sheep country this October. Maybe Luke will let me see it when he gets one in hand. : )

Clarktar

WKR
Luke will probably cut the barrel down to 18 inches and have it bored out!!! 😆

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
From what I hear on that sheep tag, that is a good trade off Matt. Thanks to you for getting this entire project off the ground. What comes around goes around.

Looking forward to Luke's thoughts on this gun. I'm a little jealous myself

Clarktar, that's funny and the first thing I asked Luke when I called him but he said he'd suffer through the "long" barrel.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Haha nope I will "suffer" through with the 24" barrel PLUS extra length for the muzzlebrake. Just got off the phone with Glen and going to order it up in 300 WM. Hope it's hear in time for my brooks range fly out packraft sheep hunt in August but regardless it will be going on a mountain goat hunt in October and a deer hunt in November and another possible mountain goat hunt next March. So hope to run it through the paces and see what I think. Should be fun to see how it shoots. Hoping I get it sooner than later.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well I just heard that Vortex is getting a shipment of their new Razor LH line of scopes in the next couple months so I got my name on the list to get one on order for me. Figure a 16 oz scope that goes 3-15X with a 42 mm objective should marry up quite well to the 300 WM Cooper 92. Just hope the rifle is here in enough time to let me sight it in prior to going sheep hunting mid August.

We shall see.....looking forward to having a chance to use it to tip over a couple critters if the good Lord is nice enough to put some animals in my path that are dumb enough that even I can kill. ;)

Link to the scope I chose to throw on this Cooper 92:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-lh-3-15x42-hsr4-riflescope

Last edited:
I'm not seeing this up on their website yet, are they shipping any 92's yet? Also curious about price. From what I remember, it was under $3k?

choovhntr

WKR
It is on their website under the "our rifles" tab. Scroll to "new for 2016," gives the specs and price. $2795. I don't know if they are taking orders on them yet but I am very curious to see some reviews when people get them in hand. Hope this helped/

Jimbo V

WKR
I ordered a HD LH from them a month or so ago they told me I should get it mid summer. Needless to say I got a fed ex tracking number from them on Friday. I haven't ordered anything else so I hope it's the scope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is on their website under the "our rifles" tab. Scroll to "new for 2016," gives the specs and price. $2795. I don't know if they are taking orders on them yet but I am very curious to see some reviews when people get them in hand. Hope this helped/

Found it, sorry about that, I looked for 15 mins all over, just never clicked on the new for 2016 page.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spoke with Cooper this week. The model 92 is coming alone well. First ones are almost ready to ship out!
Some minor changes from the initial concept.
All 92s will be full stainless and feature a fluted barrel. Below are some pictures. Really like the look of that earth tone stock!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Unfortunately, there is not currently a LH version available but we hope to be able to offer one next year. Stay tuned! As an aside, the first orders to be filled will be for a chain of stores called Scheels. They will be shipping to those stores sometime in May or maybe early June at the latest. They got their orders in first & so will be done first. The other orders will be trickling out after those. Please know that current lead time for one ordered from scratch will be six months minimum & more likely to be eight months!

So good looking! Awesome.

I have 3 rifles I am looking at; Kimber Mountain Ascent, Christensen Ridgeline, and this model 92. I have been pretty dead set on the 300 WSM as my caliber of chioce, but the WSM is not available with cooper....

I am looking for the ultimate Deer/Mosse/Sheep/Goat caliber in the 92, which caliber would you choose?