Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right on!!! Looking forward to testing mine out and glad to hear they are getting them done sooner than later!!! Sounds like it will easily be here in time for me to get it dialed in for August sheep hunt that kicks off the fall season.

Good looking rifles no doubt!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
So good looking! Awesome.

I have 3 rifles I am looking at; Kimber Mountain Ascent, Christensen Ridgeline, and this model 92. I have been pretty dead set on the 300 WSM as my caliber of chioce, but the WSM is not available with cooper....

I am looking for the ultimate Deer/Mosse/Sheep/Goat caliber in the 92, which caliber would you choose?

I chose 300 WM as the ballistics very similar to the 300 WM and you don't get any weight savings or extra round in the mag by going to 30-06. So kinda made it a no brainer for me.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also choose 300 WM. Seems like one of the ideal all around calibers, should work perfect for what you are doing. Only problem I am having is finding Winchester branded brass..... :(

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know what the maximum length for a 300 WM cartridge will be that still fits in the mag box?

I asked Cooper:
"It's approx. 3.66" & may not be ideal for people wanting to shoot extremely long bullets seated way out. The chamber will also only have a standard throat length."

Hope that helps.

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
So I stopped by Scheels today as I had heard they would be the first stores to receive the Model 92. Lo and behold two shiny new Model 92's sat front and center in the Cooper display. Well...I can now say I'm the proud new owner of one of the very first Model 92 Backcountry rifles produced, chambered in the venerable 6.5-284!!!!

pldawg

FNG
Cool. I picked mine up from the dealer I ordered it from last week. I was out fire forming brass earlier this week for my 280ai model 92. Loving it so far

View attachment IMG_5708.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5707.JPG
    IMG_5707.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
So I stopped by Scheels today as I had heard they would be the first stores to receive the Model 92. Lo and behold two shiny new Model 92's sat front and center in the Cooper display. Well...I can now say I'm the proud new owner of one of the very first Model 92 Backcountry rifles produced, chambered in the venerable 6.5-284!!!!

Damn that's nice!

choovhntr

WKR
Which sheels may I ask? I was on a call list for the Reno store and haven't heard from them. How do you like the rifle so far? Looks great.

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
Billings, MT. They said they got them in on Tuesday. I haven't shot it yet, I'm still deciding on a scope and have to get some loads made up. I wasn't really expecting to get one this soon so I'm a little behind, ha. I'm debating between the Swaro Z3 or Z5 w/BRH reticle.

Billings, MT. They said they got them in on Tuesday. I haven't shot it yet, I'm still deciding on a scope and have to get some loads made up. I wasn't really expecting to get one this soon so I'm a little behind, ha. I'm debating between the Swaro Z3 or Z5 w/BRH reticle.

Nice choice, just have magnification and dollars to debate between there.

choovhntr

WKR
Well my hold on a model 92 in 300 mag was about to end. So I said screw it and bought it unseen from scheels Reno. Should be shipping next week. Very excited to get my hands on it and see how it shoots.

pldawg

FNG
Mine doesn't seem to like 4831SC with Accubond long range 150 bullets. There was one 5 shot group at 100 yards that was a little under an inch and if I was going hunting tomorrow it would do, but still working up loads. Actually a little dissapointed in those loads as they seemed to average a 2 1/2" group with the exception of 57 grains of powder. But I have another 50 rounds loaded with a stepped powder charges with RL22 and the same bullet all ready to go now so we'll see how that does.