Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input from everybody, seeing mixed reviews on the 1/2" moa. claims, as a whole is everybody happy with the rifle?,..looking at getting one, in 6.5, leaning toward the 26 Nosler, know its a barrel burner, but figure if it should start opening up to much down the road, just re-barrel. Looked at the z-5, 3.5-18 yesterday, appealing at under 16 oz. I reload like most, to be able to fine tune a load, and develop a lead free round for my home state (ca.). Thanks for any and all input...
Mike

choovhntr

WKR
Happy with mine so far. Do wish the magazine would clip in a little sturdier. Haven't gotten confirmation from cooper but read somewhere that they only charge like $150 to re-barrel one of their rifles. At that cost I wouldn't worry too much about burning them out with the 26 nosler.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Happy with mine so far. Do wish the magazine would clip in a little sturdier. Haven't gotten confirmation from cooper but read somewhere that they only charge like $150 to re-barrel one of their rifles. At that cost I wouldn't worry too much about burning them out with the 26 nosler.

Give Cooper a call. I had some issues with my magazines and they walked me through how to bend the internal mag well spring to solve my issue! I'm not sure if that would work for your issue, but it sure solved mine! Worth a phone call! :)

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
If you are ever down near the Bay Area you can come check mine out. It's a 300wm but it would give you an idea
Thanks for the offer,... don't get down that direction very often, found a place in Redding who is a dealer for cooper, might be making a run up there if they got one on the rack, to be able to check it out/ order. Thanks for your input.
Mike

pldawg

FNG
I'm certainly happy with mine. Not sure if you're referencing my earlier posts about trying to achieve the 1/2 moa accuracy as your basis for concern about the accuracy but my issues were directly attributed to the actions screws being loose. I have been a bow hunter for 25 years and this is my first rifle...so likely that issue wouldn't have happened for someone that knew what they were doing!!

That being said Cooper helped me with it over the phone and were very helpful. I have killed two elk with mine so far in a 280ai, with the second one about 360 yards.

I am using the hornady eld-x 162 grain and shot a nice .506" group at 200 yards with that load. So almost 1/4moa at 200 I'm definitely getting the advertised and expected results.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Just food for thought, got confirmation from cooper, that the 92 is not available in 26 Nosler, or any of the Nosler rounds, (26,28,30 etc.).. just a heads up, said they wouldn't work in the magazine... but they do make it in the ole 264 win. mag.
Mike

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Just food for thought, got confirmation from cooper, that the 92 is not available in 26 Nosler, or any of the Nosler rounds, (26,28,30 etc.).. just a heads up, said they wouldn't work in the magazine... but they do make it in the ole 264 win. mag.
Mike

Any word if Cooper is going to make a short action version of this? I've got an itch for a lightweight 7-08.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Any word if Cooper is going to make a short action version of this? I've got an itch for a lightweight 7-08.

Cooper told me in 2014 that they weren't doing Short Mags due to royalty issues. If that has changed, I missed it. Anyone?

Oh you meant short actions. I should read the post. I just emailed them. Let you know soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm certainly happy with mine. Not sure if you're referencing my earlier posts about trying to achieve the 1/2 moa accuracy as your basis for concern about the accuracy but my issues were directly attributed to the actions screws being loose. I have been a bow hunter for 25 years and this is my first rifle...so likely that issue wouldn't have happened for someone that knew what they were doing!!

That being said Cooper helped me with it over the phone and were very helpful. I have killed two elk with mine so far in a 280ai, with the second one about 360 yards.

I am using the hornady eld-x 162 grain and shot a nice .506" group at 200 yards with that load. So almost 1/4moa at 200 I'm definitely getting the advertised and expected results.

Same here. 280AI shooting .625 " groups at 200 yards. You need one to test Robby? 😄

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Glenn got back to me:

"We have discussed doing a short action ultralight rifle & I believe that we will but unfortunately I have no idea when. Personally I think it would be awesome in 6.5 CRDMR though I have a soft spot for the 338 Federal too."

Sneaky, Ryan & Tanya's doing the test on the 92 this year. I'm not much for a tester, I just know what works for buck hunting. Ryan will put the squeeze on a 92's max performance.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I can't believe you're turning down the opportunity to play with one. Still mad about the pirate spotter comment? lol

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just took the Cooper 92 out to 1077 yards yesterday...went 2 for 3...which obviously is due to me not being used to shooting so far. Regardless the 757 yard target was stupid easy. Liking the rifle more now that we got a load dialed in. Also helps when shooting in only 2-3 mph winds to make this newb able to hit ;)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Just took the Cooper 92 out to 1077 yards yesterday...went 2 for 3...which obviously is due to me not being used to shooting so far. Regardless the 757 yard target was stupid easy. Liking the rifle more now that we got a load dialed in. Also helps when shooting in only 2-3 mph winds to make this newb able to hit ;)

Video..... Pictures........ Target :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Video..... Pictures........ Target :)

Going again next month...will do better documenting...it was 10 degrees and I just was wanting to shoot.

I am 1 for 1 on a 2'X2' steel square target at one mile (1778 yards) now though....and will never shoot that far again just to maintain 100%

Longer/warmer sunnier days will yield better video through and pics ;)

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought I would post a quick update on my experiences with the Cooper Model 92. I really like the trigger.. I mean REALLY... Its going to cost me some money as know all of my rifles are going to move to Jewells.... :) Anybody know of the best place to pick up a few? My Dad and brother have Rem 700s affected by the recall and are probably going to go the Jewell route as well.

Still struggling a bit to get the load I want dialed in, I'm going to try a few more things so interested in loads that work for .300 WM. Also want the larger grain bullets vs. the lighter side.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My buddy finally was able to get 212s and H-1000 to work. Also it shoots way better with a suppressor on the end of the barrel than the brake.