Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My buddy finally was able to get 212s and H-1000 to work. Also it shoots way better with a suppressor on the end of the barrel than the brake.
Any chance he has the load details? Maybe you can connect us somehow? Thanks Luke!!

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I just got mine in 300 WM on Monday.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Going to shoot some factory Federal Trophy Bonded Tips for the initial break-in. I'm not much for handloading so hopefully it goes well.

Looking forward to using it on a Stone Sheep in August!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just got mine in 300 WM on Monday.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Going to shoot some factory Federal Trophy Bonded Tips for the initial break-in. I'm not much for handloading so hopefully it goes well.

Looking forward to using it on a Stone Sheep in August!

Looking forward to your report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garyw

FNG
There is a cooper model 92 backcountry in 7mm RM for sale on Long range hunting on line magazine for $2475.00. You can see some of the information on the rifle for sale on this thread starting with post #139 thru post #157. Gary (8nbait) has help me a lot with mine.

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
I've been following this thread closely as well as reading anything and everything else I can find on the Cooper Backcountry. My better half is wanting to get a me 30th birthday present and initially wanted to get me a Wilson Combat 1911 but I'm really not that big into shooting handguns and would rather have something that I can use and one day pass along to my kids one day. So enter Cooper Rifles, I told her if she was going to spend that kind of money on a gun for me that this would be exactly what I wanted in a 300 WM engraved "Dirty Thirty". So whats the best way to order one of these? Local dealer or call Cooper direct? I'm not worried about the wait time but want to get it in a black/tan stock. The only reason I'm wanting a 300WM is to shoot heavier bullets and have a solid 30 caliber ultralight hunting rifle on hand other than my 30-06. Have guys been getting heavier hunting bullets to shoot well with this (I'm partial to Nosler Accubonds and would like to shoot 180gr).

It seems for the most part guys are getting these to shoot lights out with little issue and some trial and error on the reloading bench and the folks having problems get them resolved quickly by Cooper's great customer service. I understand these guns are primarily for guys that reload but are there any guys getting good results with factory loads? I'm in the process of getting into reloading (currently have a friend help with it using his set up) and will be getting my own setup in the near future now that I have the space to do it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You won't be sorry for buying a Cooper. I would call them and ask for the closest dealer.

I just got Tanya a 92 in 7mm and shot a box of Remington 150s. I was not trying real hard and shot a 3/4 inch group.

I'm about to start a thread on her Cooper too.

Call Trader Brothers in Lolo MT they are right down the road from Cooper and there was a thread not long ago a couple members ordered from them and were happy. I believe they checked into a few others also and came back to Trader Brothers.

mtmuley

WKR
907to406, You are about 4 hours from Cooper's facility if you are in Bozeman. Jump in the rig and head over to Stevensville and order your rifle in person. THAT would be something. Bring a flyrod if you fish. The Bitterroot is awesome. mtmuley

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
907to406, You are about 4 hours from Cooper's facility if you are in Bozeman. Jump in the rig and head over to Stevensville and order your rifle in person. THAT would be something. Bring a flyrod if you fish. The Bitterroot is awesome. mtmuley

This is pretty much what I was thinking of doing. My girl and I are both avid fly fishers (Bozeman makes for a great home base) and haven't fished the water over there in quite some time so it would make for a fun little road trip plus getting to see their facility in person would be a great experience!

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
You won't be sorry for buying a Cooper. I would call them and ask for the closest dealer.

I just got Tanya a 92 in 7mm and shot a box of Remington 150s. I was not trying real hard and shot a 3/4 inch group.

I'm about to start a thread on her Cooper too.

Ryan, good to hear that! can't wait to read the thread. I've been like a sponge the last couple weeks trying to soak up everything I can about these rifles. I really would love to have a 7mm and am on the fence about getting one over the 300WM but think a 30cal for my thirtieth would be pretty cool.

mtmuley

WKR
The new facility is only a couple years old or so. A lot bigger than the old one. Neat deal to meet the folks building your rifle. I live about 7 miles from their facility. Good luck. mtmuley

choovhntr

WKR
Been playing around with my rifle some more and thought some folks might benefit from a few things I've found. My 92 is in 300win mag and I have been shooting the ABM 215 hybrids out of it. Acurracy is still not .5 MOA but close. I got around to measuring the chamber and mine is 2.885 ish to the ogive. ABM 215's have been measuring 2.840. Would love to try seating them a little closer to the lands and see what happens but I'm not fully set up yet for reloading. Cooper stated the mag length is 3.66. Mine came in closer to 3.71. ABM OAL is right where they claimed it 3.60. This leaves a little room to seat the bullets closer to the lands and still feed from the mag. As far as mounts go, I decided to switch from the warne bases and TPS HTRs to talleys. Really wanted some Hawkins long range hybrids for the 20MOA but he doesn't make them for cooper rifles. Called talley and they referred me to Laiers customs. Basically he takes the talley lw and mills them out to whatever MOA you want for whatever rifle you have. It's a one man shop and I have to say Jeremy was great to work with. Easy going and takes the time to do thing right. I highly suggest giving him a call if your looking to do what I did. Plus now he has all the measurements for the 92. More to come as I play around some more and get my reloading stuff back in order.

ianpadron

WKR
Finally got mine today!

How'd you get yours chambered in 6.5-300??? I emailed a couple months back asking if a Model 92 was offered in 26 Nosler and was told only standard calibers at the time. Maybe 6.5-300 WBY is considered standard???

Anywho...that is one SWEET looking rifle, the tan and stainless is pretty slick my man.

They will build in any standard or belted magnum case up to 340 Weatherby, no noslers or ultramags. Mine took 15 months to get. Thanks