Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

Bkaufmann

FNG
This whole threads got me wanting to spend lots of money. In the process of selling multiple guns to fund a cooper. Is anybody using a scope as big as a 6-24x50? I know it probably doesn't make a ton of sense to get such a light gun, just to off set it with a massive scope but... priorities.

choovhntr

WKR
Yeah I have been running a nxs 5.5-22 x 50 on my 300 win mag. It does feel a little counterproductive but that's the scope I had on hand and wanted to see how far I could push the cooper without having to worry about turrets not tracking. Rifle comes in a few ounces under 8lbs and balances alright. A little front heavy. I may go to a vx6 hd when more reviews start to come out and save another 12 oz. I did run into a couple snags with the combo but they were a fairly simple fix. Shoot me a pm if you want some more info.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just thought I would post a quick update on my Cooper M92. Its been a bit of a challenge to find a load for it. However, I think I got her on the right track now. We took the stock off and noticed a few spots where it appear the action was rubbing. Some minor shaving on the stockm a re-assembly, and it started taking a shine to the 200gr Hornady ELD-X factory ammo. Enough so that that we are just going to leave it that way and run that ammo this fall. This winter I will dig deeper and see if I can improve it even more with hand loads. My buddy is taking it on his first sheep hunt here in just a few weeks and I'll run it later in the season. Lots of rifles out there in the light weight camp these days. However, I have yet to find a .300 WM competitor that is the 92oz camp.

ianpadron

WKR
Just thought I would post a quick update on my Cooper M92. Its been a bit of a challenge to find a load for it. However, I think I got her on the right track now. We took the stock off and noticed a few spots where it appear the action was rubbing. Some minor shaving on the stockm a re-assembly, and it started taking a shine to the 200gr Hornady ELD-X factory ammo. Enough so that that we are just going to leave it that way and run that ammo this fall. This winter I will dig deeper and see if I can improve it even more with hand loads. My buddy is taking it on his first sheep hunt here in just a few weeks and I'll run it later in the season. Lots of rifles out there in the light weight camp these days. However, I have yet to find a .300 WM competitor that is the 92oz camp.
Would definitely be nice if a rifle with that price tag didn't require any tinkering at home.

Great job getting it to shoot, but man, I'd be pissed with a rough action or rubbing stock on a basically custom rifle!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

choovhntr

WKR

Good to hear. Just picked up a box of those myself. Haven't had a chance to try them yet though. What kind of groups did you end up getting?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would definitely be nice if a rifle with that price tag didn't require any tinkering at home.

Great job getting it to shoot, but man, I'd be pissed with a rough action or rubbing stock on a basically custom rifle!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Mine was one of the first few off the line. And it could be that I had originally over tightened the action screws. To many variables for me to know for sure. It's working now and I'm good with the process so far.

treillw

WKR
Has anybody been able to get the 212 eld-x and 215 bergers to shoot good out of the .300 win mag M92?

Would anybody relatively close to Helena MT have a .300 win mag that I could try out? I'd like my wife to be able to shoot the gun too and I'm a little worried about recoil for her.

How much would the recoil drop off if I used a lighter bullet for her? I'm thinking something in the 168 grain range. I could load up practice rounds for her with 168s and lower powder and then give her hotter loads when she won't notice the recoil hunting.

Last edited:

choovhntr

WKR
I've shot the ABM 215gr bergers out of mine and they do pretty good. I got a little under 1 MOA at 200 off a bipod and jacket rear rest. I'm pretty sure my skill level was limiting the potential somewhat as well. I go into a little more detail in post 193 of this thread.

treillw

WKR
I've shot the ABM 215gr bergers out of mine and they do pretty good. I got a little under 1 MOA at 200 off a bipod and jacket rear rest. I'm pretty sure my skill level was limiting the potential somewhat as well. I go into a little more detail in post 193 of this thread.

Good to know, thank you! I'm sure there is more potential for accuracy in there if you start playing with the reloads. Good to hear that the mag box is long enough for seating the bergers deep.

kbase13

FNG
Thinking of getting a backcountry in .300wm. Does anyone have any information on how the gun shoots with factory loads? I haven't gotten into reloading and I see a ton of the replies on this thread are about accuracy with custom loads. I'm just concerned if I will be able to get enough accuracy out of this rifle with factory loads to make it worth it compared to a lower priced rifle.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Don't know about the 300win mag. But I have one in 7 RM that's a tack driver with Hornady162 ELDx (factory) and Hornaday 180 match (reloads). Had a lot of doubt about this rifle at first but now I have full confidence in it.

I'm doing a video for rokslide on this rifle. I did have an accuracy issue when I first got it. Sent it back to Cooper and they said it had a knick in the crown. After getting it back and running it through its paces the rifle will shoot sub .5 groups.

b622ed44df275b7758e480d1c63b9c72.jpg

Wife’s bear at 50 yards.
[video=youtube_share;y-JcvzKjr-A]https://youtu.be/y-JcvzKjr-A[/video]

8498a3d833648000eb06627d5f66ce0d.jpg

My buck at 440 yards

Last edited:

kbase13

FNG
Thanks Ryan, that's the kind of information I was hoping to hear. I've been going back and forth about getting one for about a month now. It seems that if there is an issue Cooper stands behind their warranty and will do everything they can to help you get the rifle shooting to your satisfaction.

Huntmore

FNG
Anyone have updates on hunting load performance. Just got my Backcountry today in 300wm and hope to find a load that will shoot the advertized .5 MOA with a 180-200 gr Bullet.

sodak

FNG
My Cooper 56 .300WM liked the same powder for a 180gr load the same as they used for their test load on the card. I always thought 300’s liked running near full load capacity. I kept seating depth to listed in the Nosler load book (ACcubonds).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have updates on hunting load performance. Just got my Backcountry today in 300wm and hope to find a load that will shoot the advertized .5 MOA with a 180-200 gr Bullet.
I struggled a bit with hand loads. Got busy and and tried a few factory loads. Best grouping I have had so far is with the Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr ELD-X factory ammo. Hoping to work up a load with the 212gr ELD-X bullets at some point.

choovhntr

WKR
My 300 was not a fan of the hornady precision hunter 200 gr ELDX. Believe it or not it shoots cheapo Winchester super x 180gr ammo into 1/3 MOA.

choovhntr

WKR
Interesting how rifles can differ. Glad you found a load it likes.

I know. I was blown away at how bad they shot after you posting good results with your rifle. I was hoping to stay with the abm 215’s but haven’t been able to get any more for six months. A guess they moved their factory. Ammo was supposed to get released in October but still no word. May try those hammer bullets next.