45-70

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a H&R single shot since I was a kid and I've bought and sold some marlins. It's a great round if you reload but if I had to buy every round I'd probably look for something more economical.

So would a feller be better off buying a Henry over a newer off the shelf Marlin? The wife has an octagon Henry in 22... I think I shoot it more than she does! It'd a gopher killer out to a hundo! Is there much difference in performance between the GG's 18" barrel and longer barrels? Is it enough to I worry about? Kinda in the same boat. 85% of my spot is heavy timber a couple open parks where a scoped rifle would be better. But mainly everything inside buck fifty. And I haven't bought a gun this year!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
So would a feller be better off buying a Henry over a newer off the shelf Marlin? The wife has an octagon Henry in 22... I think I shoot it more than she does! It'd a gopher killer out to a hundo! Is there much difference in performance between the GG's 18" barrel and longer barrels? Is it enough to I worry about? Kinda in the same boat. 85% of my spot is heavy timber a couple open parks where a scoped rifle would be better. But mainly everything inside buck fifty. And I haven't bought a gun this year!

Straight wall calibers like the 45-70 do not really gain anything with a long barrel. I'm having to pull from memory but I believe the difference between an 18" and a 24" barrel was like 34 fps...total. Not per inch. People only like the long barrels because they are history-true and because they really help with perceived recoil and muzzle blast.

I had been planning to buy a 45-70 for some time and like you I had to decide between a Henry or a Marlin. I've owned a few Marlin 336 in the past but they were all older, JM stamped models. A few buddies have the newer models and I am FAR from OK with their workmanship. Over the weekend I finally got to put my hands on the Henry All Weather 45-70 and I bought it. The fit, finish and feel of the gun is far superior and it was only about $50 more than the Marlin Guide model. I really like the fact it does not have a loading gate, but it's tube feed. The Henry also does not have a cross bolt safety (which I like) and the sights are better than the Marlin. It does weight more than the Marlin, and both have terrible triggers.

An older JM stamped 45-70 guide gun is far more expensive than a new Guide gun.

Gorp2007

WKR
An older JM stamped 45-70 guide gun is far more expensive than a new Guide gun.

If you're patient that's not necessarily the case. My dad and I each got a JM stamped guide gun back in 2013 for around $650 each. That's the same price as a new guide gun, but I could probably turn around and sell my used JM for that same $650. I doubt I could buy a brand new Marlin, hunt with it for a couple of years, and sell it for the same price.

GKPrice

Banned
I did 20 shots, with Rem 405gr jacketed flat point, rolled in 600 grit lapping compound, and loaded up in front of a light charge of Unique.

I don't think there was any throat erosion, just a polishing effect.

I used the firelapping kit from Wheeler Engineering, from MidwayUSA.

Normally "throat erosion" is caused from powder burning, does not have much to do with the bullet - fire lapping is an arguable process that is highly thought of my a few long time well known competitive shooters, some have kits with 4 or 5 graduated levels of abrasive for a "start to finish" kitted process

I have been using a 1895 guide off and on now for about 16-17 years. I have always been able to get good velocity even from the short barrel...but it is STUPID loud. Mild loads though are not bad noise wise.

Who doesn't love loud? The vast choices you have with this caliber makes it a favorite of mine. I used some hot loads from Buffalo Bore to send this 2009lb bison cartwheeling like a rag doll. Blew the neckbone clean out on the follow-up shot and it dead before it hit the ground.

[video=youtube;EzLGcHmOcNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzLGcHmOcNY[/video]