Did Kimber switch the Montana to an aluminum trigger guard?

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an 84L that apparently has an aluminum trigger guard. I went to replace the factory trigger guard with an aluminum one I bought online. Turns out the one that came on the rifle is slightly lighter! It's definitely not steel. Did Kimber start putting aluminum trigger guards on the Montanas? Or maybe just on the 84L? Or did someone sell me a used gun as new?

That's interesting, my stock 8400 is steel, and I believe, at least the older, 84L's are steel. Maybe they changed. Regardless, it looks like you have an aluminum trigger guard for sale. What do you want for it?

Just out of curiosity, what are the weights of both? My stock steel weighs 2.5 oz. and my aluminum weighs 1.0 oz.
a89d467827f50d277dd6a4c4b9fe31f3.jpg

5cca7c30f0ab11ae3dcf7fb4275f26ec.jpg

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
The guard I bought online is 28g on my scale, or .98 oz. The guard I already had on my Kimber 84L was 25 or 26g, I forgot which. Basically a gram or two lighter, AKA less than .1 ounce difference. If you compare them side by side they are not identical. The guard I have on there is a little bit smaller so it has a little less room for fat gloves or whatever.

I paid $55 shipped for it so I suppose I'd like to get that if I can.

OP
P

pontoon

Lil-Rokslider
I have no idea. Kimber told me it's definitely steel from the factory even though it isn't magnetic. Idk what the deal is but it's light so I'm not complaining.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I find this interesting, I’ve been looking for upgrade parts for my Kimber Montana and after reading this I took a magnet to my kimber, the magnet sticks to all the metal surfaces EXCEPT the trigger guard.

I’ve seen it mentioned a few other places online that people thought the trigger guards were switched to aluminum.

I guess the only logical response is to take a drill to the trigger guard and lighten it up.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Sodbuster, sent you a PM. I have an extra trigger guard sitting on my reloading bench.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for an aluminum trigger guard to fit a 84l if anyone’s got one.

Sodbuster

WKR
WCS

Sodbuster, sent you a PM. I have an extra trigger guard sitting on my reloading bench.

PM'd you back WCS. Yes I am interested.

oenanthe

WKR
Does anybody know if the Al trigger guards are available individually from Kimber?

I have an older 84m with a steel guard; wouldn't mind losing a little weight!

oenanthe

WKR
There were other versions of the 8400 as well: .270 and .30-06; maybe others. These preceded the 84L.

I know this because one of my best friends has a .270 8400 that will shoot the dingleberries off a gnat's ass. :D