3# 2.3oz rifle

Awesome build! I'm saving up parts for something similar, I was going to shoot for under 5# but I'm thinking 3.5 after seeing yours! Definitely post up a range report.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Any chance we could talk you into giving us a parts list?! Sure would help the rest of us

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
ItemSpecificWeightCost
Lower Parts
Stock/Buffer tubeSmoke Composites Open Pull Short Stock3.32oz$189.00
LowerTegra Carbon Fiber Ar15 lower reciever3.65oz$79.99
BufferTACCOM LW AR15 Recoil System1.10oz$22.95
Buffer spring1.15oz Flatwire Spring1.15oz$25.95
LPKNew Frontier Armory Polymer LPK1.90oz
Buffer RetainerV7$7.00
GripMagpul K Grip2.25oz$18.95
Lower Parts totals13.36oz$343.84
Upper Parts
Upper RecieverBlackthorne Polymer Upper 4.1oz$69.00
Forward AssistNA
Ejection Port DoorNA
Bolt CarrierWhiskey Arms LBC-Aluminum Lightweight Bolt Carrier3.92oz$200.00
BoltMaxim 6.5G II1.75oz$75.00
Firing Pinv7 Titanium Firing Pin0.11oz$23.00
Cam PinV70.30oz$17.00
Charging HandleV71.02oz$39.00
BarrelX-Caliber 6.5G II, 1-8, 16", mid-gas, 11*crown, pencil contour front/back fluted20.50oz$415.00
Gas BlockSLR SENTRY 6 SET SCREW TITANIUM0.80oz$179.99
Gas tubePSA Mid length0.80oz$12.99
Muzzle deviceCrowned barrel
Barrel NutSmoke Composites1.02oz$27.00
HandguardCustom carbon tube1.80oz$35.00
Upper Parts totals36.12oz$1,092.98

Actual weight turned out higher than estimated, some parts must weigh more than claimed by the manufacturer.

I ordered the full length of Carbon fiber tube and had it sanded smooth, mine is cut to 10" but I have a bunch of 12" ones around if anybody is looking for a crazy light 2oz handguard that works with the Smoke Barrel nut just hammering in on. Comes off easy once upper is in the vice, just rock and twist:)

I still want to add a titanium V7 grip screw and their titanium trigger/hammer pins, and delete the bolt catch to get it to the limit. Aluminum 10 round 223 mag weighs 2.2oz and the steel 10rnd grendel mag was 3.something, sorry forget. Looks like 3 rounds should feed out of the aluminum mag, hopefully i'll find out this week.

-Tim

Last edited:
OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
Now I need to find someone who can mill off the unused pic-rails, that useless right side of the charging handle, and almost all the mag that is up in the mag well. Too much fun.

-Tim

So the free float tube is literally hammered over the barrel nut?

If so that seems awfully jenky. I'm not a hater, but that seems like a good failure point, but if it's solid then it's a neat way to save a lot of weight.

I'm going cheapass and using a gwacs lower and just slickside upper, lightest 10" rail I can find, and then debating about a faxon pencil profile or just reprofiling what I have (shoots great).

Hey what's the best way to call u guys about technical questions regarding a quilt?? I keep hitting 2 and nothing happens.

Last edited:
OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
As far as quilts I only have two customer service guys right now so they have a hard time answering all the calls. is this the number you are using? 507.474.6230

The carbon tubing I have was bought to be used with a Clark barrel nut, Tubing is 1.875" ID and Clark Nut Claims 1.88" OD but the tube fits over perfectly and requires epoxy or a set screw drilled and tapped in to keep it on. The Clark nut isn't as light as the smoke nut so when I got the smoke nut I was disappointed that the carbon tubes wouldn't fit. I never measured them but they are just a hair bigger than the clark. In a fit of rage I started hammering the two together to see if I could make it fit. It sure did, went on about 75% (you can see in my pic that some nut is showing) It was on there so damn tight I couldn't get it off. Shaking, pulling, twisting, nothing. I threw the upper in the vice and with just a little wiggling the seal broke free and the tube came right off. So basically in use it might as well be epoxied on, but is still very simple to remove in the shop. It was a surprise victory.

If your goal is lightweight be careful which slick side you get, most of them are far heavier than standard forged uppers. PSA makes a nice light one that I have on one of my 223's, which both use faxon barrels.

-Tim

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
Had it out twice now. Haven't shot any groups, been just working out the kinks. Got the gas adjusted for good feeding and function. Had a problem with some budget ammo that has me questioning headspacing but hornaday is functioning great.
image.jpg
PPU 110grain FMJ I got because it's more affordable to run for function checks. These cases are scary, I have shot 3 now and they all look this way. Hornaday cases all look normal. Could I have a headspacing problem that only causes issues with one type of ammo? That'd be crazy right? Ammo retailer is trying to claim my rifle is the problem but I can't understand how it would run good ammo fine, crap ammo like crap but have the crap ammo not be the issue but instead it be a problem with my rifle. Any thoughts or suggestions? This issue has me nervous to sit down and run rounds through which is why I haven't shot groups. I also had a bat fly out from under the shooting bench last night right into my face, that shit was a no go for me, I had to shut it down.

-Tim

howl

WKR
Cool build. I actually signed up to follow this. Had a chance to use it?

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot it a few times now. It runs much better with factory Hornaday ammo. I think I need to adjust the gas system a little more as occasionally I am getting a double feed, perhaps I need to try a different mag also. I have used ASC grendel mags and i actuall like a 10rnd PMAG with only 3 rounds loaded into it the best, cause its lighter:) Aluminum USGI mag with 3 didn't work as the rounds took a nose dive. An anti tilt follower would help this I'm sure.

I'm not a great shot so I have no real accuracy feedback, I can hit stuff:)

I need to switch a few small parts out to get the lowest possible weight. I really want to remove the gas and buffer systems, make it a side charger and run it as a bolt action. I think this would completely solve double feeding and it would be quieter to cycle by hand, no more bolt slamming home. Just not sure if the bolt will stay in lockup without the buffer spring.

I am dreaming about more builds now:) I really like to build them. If anybody is near Winona MN I'd love to have a real shooter evaluate it and I'd be happy to loan it out for a hunt or two. I'd also love helping anyone build their own.

-Tim

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
I've been playing with this rifle again. I replaced the grip screw with a titanium one, replaced the gas key with an adjustable one (rubber city) and replaced the gas block with a lighter one (Bad ti). Rifle only weight is now 3#0.7oz. With 3-9 ultralight scope mounted, 10rnd aluminum 5.56 mag and 5 rounds of ammo it is 4#3.5oz,{10rnd 5.56 mags feeds 4-5 rnds of grendel fine} might want to add a light sling but this rifle ready to go is lighter than most ultralight rifles bare.

texag10

WKR
RE: Making it a side charger, would that allow you to push the bolt home? If not, you're going to have to let the bolt slam home anyway to get the extractor to go over the rim.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've been playing with this rifle again. I replaced the grip screw with a titanium one, replaced the gas key with an adjustable one (rubber city) and replaced the gas block with a lighter one (Bad ti). Rifle only weight is now 3#0.7oz. With 3-9 ultralight scope mounted, 10rnd aluminum 5.56 mag and 5 rounds of ammo it is 4#3.5oz,{10rnd 5.56 mags feeds 4-5 rnds of grendel fine} might want to add a light sling but this rifle ready to go is lighter than most ultralight rifles bare.

Most...... ;)

Swap it out for the 2-7X28 and drop another 1.5 oz. I prefer the 2-7X28 Ultralight over my 3-9X33 anyways.

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I believe you can push it home with the side charging handle, the way I would do it anyway with the handled screwed into bolt carrier.

OP
MarshLaw303

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
also, had to switch to a better follower in the 10rnd usgi aluminum mags to run the grendel. Just switched them from some other mags and now they feed great. Last time I had it out gas was off and I manually charged each round, perfect function, just perfect.

JDZ

WKR
I really want to see somebody shoot 3-round groups at 100 yards with this thing. Or, better yet, 5-round groups at 300 yards.