Review: Vortex Razor 3-15x42 HD LH, by Jared Bloomgren.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Jared, the-man-of-all-weapon-types, Bloomgren is back with a review on this new little sweetheart of a scope from Vortex.

If you want to shoot farther but not weigh down that lightweight gun with an obese scope, then you might like this review. At 16.5 ounces, sounds like there's plenty of performance for the sub-1000 yard crowd (and I'm sure even a few of the +1,000-guys could make this scope work wonders)

Give it a read here and post up any questions or comments for Jared.
Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15X42 Review

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Review: Vortex Razor 3-15x42 HD LH, by Jared Bloomgren.

It's about time someone made a left hand scope. LOL. What's the LH stand for?

Jared, what height rings did you use for this setup? And do you need a cheek piece for that scope height? Every rifle I've tried to put a rail on, I can't seem to find the right height rings to make it work. Maybe I should get a smaller objective scope.....duh.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Jared,

Walk us through your process of testing the tracking on this scope. Are you box testing, or do you prefer another method? Also, you said that you tested it out to around 5oo yds or so. Did you dial for those, or use the reticle?

Thanks!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jared,

Walk us through your process of testing the tracking on this scope. Are you box testing, or do you prefer another method? Also, you said that you tested it out to around 5oo yds or so. Did you dial for those, or use the reticle?

Thanks!

Justin, testing the tracking of a scope is an article that Rokslide should look at publishing. There are many out there that have no idea what it is and how to do it. I didn't want to muddy the waters if you will! Box testing is fairly easy to do and it would make a great article. Hint Hint Robby! lol....Lets maybe save diving into that for another article shall we?

But yes, I did a mock up box test with this riflescope and it seemed to track fairly good. It also returned to zero multiple times during the testing and the scope remained with rounds impacting within a 1" square at all times at 100 yards. For most hunters who shoot inside of 600 yards this is pretty good.

Since I wanted to use this scope without having to dial turrets due to the lack of external turrets and that the turrets are capped I determined where each reference mark would impact a target out to a little over 500 yards. I then wrote down what each reference point would be for yardage. The G4 reticle worked well for this.

R_burg

WKR
Curious, has anyone compared this to the Nikon Monarch 5 ED 3-15?

Although the Razor is a 'higher end' scope, they seem like natural competitors.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Anyone ever get to compare this Razor against a Leupold VX-6 series ?

I hunted with both a Razor HD 3-15X42 and a VX-6 2-12X42 this year. The glass is very similar to my eyes. Overall I prefer the fit and finish of the VX-6.

McGilvra

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I know I'm reviving an older thread but Jared- you mounted this scope on the same rifle I have- Xbolt Stainless Stalker in 300WSM. I current have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 and the fat WSM shells hit the low-mounted (xlock standard/low rings) scope elevation turret causing the cases to bounce back in or stick in the chamber. Looks like this Razor HD LH has lower profile turrets- did you have any case ejection issues with your xbolt SS and this scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey I know I'm reviving an older thread but Jared- you mounted this scope on the same rifle I have- Xbolt Stainless Stalker in 300WSM. I current have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 and the fat WSM shells hit the low-mounted (xlock standard/low rings) scope elevation turret causing the cases to bounce back in or stick in the chamber. Looks like this Razor HD LH has lower profile turrets- did you have any case ejection issues with your xbolt SS and this scope?

I have no issues with the ejection with this setup. Everything works well!

McGilvra

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks- looks like I'll be moving my Viper to my backup and maybe investing in this glass. VO is 45 mins down the road and are great to deal with

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks- looks like I'll be moving my Viper to my backup and maybe investing in this glass. VO is 45 mins down the road and are great to deal with

Tell them I said HI!!!!!! Great people!

McGilvra

Lil-Rokslider
McGilvra,
I had bolt clearance issues on my 3-9 Viper on my 270 Short-mag. this is how I fixed it
Part I: Christensen Arms' Carbon Summit in 270 WSM - Rok Blog
and per your topic, I have no ejection issues. However, if you want a better scope, the LH Jared reviewed will make you happier than going with taller mounts

Thanks Robby! Appreciate you sharing that experience- great write up. BTW picked up your book to study up and prep for my first Mule Deer hunt.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, you're welcome and thank you much for giving the book a spin!