donor action or custom

MThuntr

WKR
So I'm planning to have a wildcat built on a short length action...6.5 Sherman Short mag. The goal is to create a nice lighter mountain rifle with a unique round. Like most hunters I dont "need" a new gun/cartridge but it certainly doesn't hurt. I'm not looking necessarily for a 5lb rifle but light would be nice. Obviously cutting ounces costs $ but truing a donor action and replacing parts aren't free either.

Would you choose a donor rem 700 short action that you currently own and have it blueprinted or do you sell the complete Rem 700 and put it towards a new lighter action like the Defiance Deviant Hunter/Ultralight?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is the end game for the stock and all that? If you would find use in the stock/trigger/bottom metal of the donor then you can save coin there. If you are truing and action and also changing out the trigger/bottom metal/stock then I'd probably look at some of the custom 700 clone actions because you usually get upgraded bolt release and extractor to go along with it. By the time you spend a few hundred on the truing (and factor in the donor value) you are into custom action turf.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
On the donor Tikka suggestion does the Sherman Short mag run that .540 case face? I know of the round, I forget the parent cartridge though (is it a WSM based starting point?). Anyways Euro optics has a stainless 338 win mag for $500 which wouldn't be a bad starting point. With the long action magazine you'd have plenty of magazine length to work with. Stock triggers are decent on tikka, change the stock as you see fit. Usually there isn't much truing work required on tikka rebarreling.

ST52v

WKR
Ya, the others would be better. They have several choices for around $500 + or - . I have been wanting to buy a 270wsm and turn it into a 6.5 wsm. Use 270wsm brass and neck them down with bushing die. Should be pretty easy without the fire forming.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
What is the end game for the stock and all that? If you would find use in the stock/trigger/bottom metal of the donor then you can save coin there. If you are truing and action and also changing out the trigger/bottom metal/stock then I'd probably look at some of the custom 700 clone actions because you usually get upgraded bolt release and extractor to go along with it. By the time you spend a few hundred on the truing (and factor in the donor value) you are into custom action turf.

End game for the current stock would be to sell as it is a heavy target stock. The trigger is a Timney so not the highest quality but not the junk recalled trigger. I haven't decided on the bottom metal and it would have to be fitted as the Sherman is based on the SAUM cartridge and the rifle is currently a 22-250.

Last edited:

bates

WKR
Just Depends

What Optic are you thinking of running? If 30mm tube i would lean more towards the defiance with the integral rail, the hunter is going to be a stiffer action than the ultralight. Lone peak Ti's are another option.

how far do you shoot or want to shoot?

what is your target weight?

i just finished a rem 700 build myself, went all out with gre-tan had him true it, pin recoil lug, bush the bolt and firing pin, i love it, wouldn't of changed a thing, its a sub 7lb rifle, .6ish barrel, if i had spec'd the build any heavier i would have gone integral rail and lug action 100%

if i had an action in hand i would more than likely just run with it. I feel in a lighter weight rifle loosing the stiffness of an integral rail probably isnt that big of a deal, but if it was a heavier or long range rifle i would want the integral rail for sure.

ive had surgeons, bat's, stillers etc and definatley prefer them on a match or bigger gun, but still i do like a good ole 700 in a sporter/lightweight build just hard to beat the classic 700

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
On the donor Tikka suggestion does the Sherman Short mag run that .540 case face? I know of the round, I forget the parent cartridge though (is it a WSM based starting point?). Anyways Euro optics has a stainless 338 win mag for $500 which wouldn't be a bad starting point. With the long action magazine you'd have plenty of magazine length to work with. Stock triggers are decent on tikka, change the stock as you see fit. Usually there isn't much truing work required on tikka rebarreling.

It is based on the RSAUM...so the WSM based bolt should work (I believe the WSM is like 0.0015 wider at the base). The goal of the 6.5 SS was to work in any short action (not the rem 7 action though) so the need to go to a long action isn't necessary and effectively defeats the purpose.

N2TRKYS

WKR
It is based on the RSAUM...so the WSM based bolt should work (I believe the WSM is like 0.0015 wider at the base). The goal of the 6.5 SS was to work in any short action (not the rem 7 action though) so the need to go to a long action isn't necessary and effectively defeats the purpose.

Rich's round should actually work better in the Model Seven than the SAUM.

Personally, I would buy a brand new stainless M700 action from budsgunshop.com.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR

Really...I use under the impression that since the Model 7 was slightly shorter than the Remington Short action that it wouldn't fit quite right. Maybe I misread that

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Not sure on the "in field" performance but I briefly looked and the trued actions nwactionworks sells when I was planning out my build. The do trued new SS actions and also barreled actions. I believe their truing steps aren't as throughout but they "report" good results while offering a more affordable service. Again I didn't look at them too hard so I'm not sure.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It's my opinion that Tikka actions are way better than Rem actions for builds as long as you don't need longer than 3.40" OAL. If I was in your shoes I would sell the Remington and either buy a custom action or a Tikka.

The reasons I like the Tikka actions better are; no truing needed (saves about $100-$250), trigger is good and doesn't need to be replaced, action is much stiffer, and they are much smoother. I've had two customs built on Tikkas and my brother has one and they all shoot very well.

Here's my .300 win mag Tikka with a bear Brock shot at 665 yds.

Bear%20and%20Rifle_zpsicmjw7w8.jpg

Here's my 6.5-06 AI with my brother's CO buck from this year.

f6e28154fe7e2cbc709458ed0df04f11.jpg

Shrek

WKR
Sherman SS was made to fit a factory 700 magazine and keep the bullet from sticking down into the case too much. I just run a 6.5 SAUM in an extended Wyatts magazine if I want a 700 or clone. With a 150gr matrix I'm sitting at 2.95" oal. The extra step of setting the shoulder back seemed like a PIA just to not cut the back of the magazine well and run the extra .125" of magazine. I built mine on a Winchester m70 WSM action and have room to spare. I'm probably going to switch to a 6.5 WSM for the extra capacity to push the upcoming 155 elite hunter.
Personally I'd sell the 700 and buy a 700 clone. I hear that Peirce is making a 100% titanium action including the bolt. That's what I'd do for an ultimate lightweight rifle.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's my opinion that Tikka actions are way better than Rem actions for builds as long as you don't need longer than 3.40" OAL. If I was in your shoes I would sell the Remington and either buy a custom action or a Tikka.

The reasons I like the Tikka actions better are; no truing needed (saves about $100-$250), trigger is good and doesn't need to be replaced, action is much stiffer, and they are much smoother. I've had two customs built on Tikkas and my brother has one and they all shoot very well.

Couple clarifications based on my experiences. You are speaking of the T3 linage (which is obviously most common these days in folks minds), I will point out the Tikka M695 that is the long action predecessor of the T3 accepts ~3.49". This action weights a bit more as its a bit beefier (metal magazine too).

I wouldn't say Tikka's never require truing but yes they rarely do according to the smith's I talked with. I'd just hate for someone to have a couple hundred dollar surprise if the smith finds it needs some work and does what is needed to make a good shooter.

My 280AI is build on a M695 with a 24" Obermeyer in a Remington contour, I had a recoil lug added to the gun as well. The factor stock is a bit heavier than the T3 as well. That one with a 18oz scope weighs 9.25lb so its a bit heavier than a T3 (my T3 in 7-08 with a 12oz scope is 7.25 both in Talley rings, I'd say 1lb can be attributed towards the scope and heavier barrel, the other 1lb being the heavier action/bottom metal/stock).

PS is that a proof reseach on your 300wm? What does that whole arrangement clock in at?

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
Oh yeah if I went custom action I would probably save up a lot longer and pony up the $ for a Proof research barrel...because reasons :D

The Sherman is a good round but forming is kinda a PITA! If your gonna use your current m700 SA and want a 6.5 I would build a 6.5 creedmore or 6.5x47. They don't require opening your boltface from your current 22-250. Your current mag box and follower should work also. Choose a good light weight stock and barrel contour and you will be fine.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Really...I use under the impression that since the Model 7 was slightly shorter than the Remington Short action that it wouldn't fit quite right. Maybe I misread that

I've got a 7 SAUM in a Model Seven. IIRC, he told me that the SS was a little shorter with a longer neck. It would allow you to shoot the 180 grain Bergers. Maybe I misunderstood, it's been awhile since I talked to him.

Either way, I'd gonthe M700 action route without any hesitation. All of actions are CNC'd the same way.

kpk

WKR
I'd buy a custom over getting a 700 and having it blueprinted (unless you already have the action laying around collecting dust). Best compromise would be using a Tikka action and putting a custom barrel on it if you need to buy an action.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
I was away moose hunting (the tag holder did get a good bull for the area) but while I was in the hills, the guys at Defiance Machine sent me some details about their medium (Rem short) actions. Deviant Hunter Medium is 1.93lbs and the Ultralight is 1.7lbs. If I were to choose a Defiance, they add $100 to the total for the mag bolt face.

To those that asked, yes I already own the Rem 700 donor action which current exists as a heavy barreled 22-250. It has be shot maybe 100 times and its prairie dog shooting purpose was never fulfilled.