Kimber Mountain Ascent

Brendan

WKR
I recently lost the battle to a 6.5 Creedmoor. Just received rings today...next step...to the range.
KImber%206.5%20CM-L.jpg

Not exact twins, but close...

5c6fb5503d003d91951bd1b4870378aa.jpg

8e0110872463153d93094baf10ae87c9.jpg

DEFYET

FNG
I've recently purchased a MA in 280AI. I've experienced some feeding issues during load dev which seems to be a common occurrence but seems to be an easy fix (I hope).

My main challenge is that I cannot zero the rifle. I've mounted a Swarovski z6 in the Talley rings and getting great sub-MOA groups but run out of windage (2" right). I've remounted the scope, re-checked torque, cant, etc and also tried a different scope and get the same problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Misaligned screws? User error?

Any suggestions would be great

GKPrice

Banned
one way (and certainly not the ONLY way) would be to mount a Leupold STD set on it and see if you can take up the "slack" with the windage adjustments, if you can then it is probably misaligned base holes in the action - common occurrence in Remington 700's for a long time

16Bore

WKR
Have you done anything to the lower halves on the Talleys? I've seen some QC issues in the past. Might even be worth loosening them, give them a little wiggle and retourqing. I'll get them just barely snug and lay the scope in the lowers and give it a little to and fro to make sure they're aligned, then tighten.

Stid2677

WKR
I own a couple MAs and I had to polish and work the blind box and follower to get them to feed smoothly. The 280AI needed more than the 30-06, I had to file some of the blind box to make it match the feed ramp. With the rifle empty use your fingers to press the follower down until it bottoms out, then see if it moves back up without any binding and smoothly, if not it may require some fitting. Make sure to torque the stock back to Kimber specs, The torque settings are 45 in/lbs on the front screw and 35 in/lbs on the rear screw. Slightly snug the front and rear screw down and then tighten the front followed by the rear screw.

For the scope make sure that your scope windage is centered "in the middle" when first starting. Then you may want to verify the mounts, I always use bars to check all my rifles.

IMG_3196_zpst4pclmqy.jpg

DEFYET

FNG
Kimber update...

After totally stripping the rifle, centering scope windage and elevation, put it all back together, torque and leveled everything to spec... we now have a shooter!! Went to the local range this morning and got it on paper at 100m. 1/2" 3 shot groups @ 3010fps and a SD of 6. Happy days!!

Think the problem was the internal box magazine putting unnecessary pressure on the the stock and action. I'm no gunsmith but either way I'm stoked!!

16Bore

WKR
The way I see it, Montana's (or any ultralight rifle) are the equivalent of a full carbon fiber bike, race car, Steel Challange pistols, or anything else that's pushed to the limits performance wise. They amplify everything wrong, react differently, and just can't perform with half-assed technique.

Biggest eye opener for me was shooting a 6.5# Montana side by side with a 8# M70, both 270's and with the same ammo. Totally different behavior when the trigger broke.

akspudus

FNG
Just before Christmas I picked up a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 308 win. I know...no a novel cartridge, but a proven effective cartridge.
I topped it with a Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42.
6lbs 1 7/8oz empty.
7lbs 3oz with scope covers, sling and 12 rounds of ammo. (4 rounds in the rifle, 8 rounds in a stock mounted ammo carrier)
Barnes 150gr TTSX bullets propelled by some Reloader 15 at just barely 3000fps prints 3 rounds within 1.5 inches at 200yds. Shooting those three rounds in a usual hunting cadence. Rounds 4 and 5 are usually within the group but often will vertically string a little from barrel heat if the group volley is continued in a faster cadence. The barrel on these rifles aren't very stout. I'm very confident that the rifle can empty its magazine without opening up the group too much.
If allowed to cool, the group remains tight.
I built the ammunition for this rifle to push a TTSX out to 400yds and retain bullet expansion velocities. My experience with the TTSX's in 300 win mag and 338 win mag has shown me that I can shoot a "light for caliber" bullet and rely upon the bullet's terminal performance.

Overall, I am very happy with this rifle on paper. I have yet to take any game with it, but that will change soon enough.

OK I went and did it as well. I traded in a couple of old rifles and spent some Cabela’s points and walked out without dropping a dime on a brand new Kimber MA in 300 win mag. I’m leaning towards a Leupold VX-3i CDS scope. Anyone have any experience with these between the 1 inch and 30mm tubes and the 50mm objective? I was looking at Vortex and Zeiss last weekend but keep coming back to the Leupold.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Hello - I'm reviving this topic to ask you knowledgeable owners a question about the action on the 84 Mtn Ascent (I have one on the way but it's not here yet).

Is this a true Mauser type extractor, meaning you could mess things up and maybe do damage if you direct feed a cartridge and close the bolt on it?

The manual does say specifically to load the round up from the magazine, but it doesn't say anywhere that the other way is harmful. It has warnings about everything else, including how to avoid "cosmetic" damage to the stock, but no warning about direct feeding. It would sure seem that if direct feeding is a problem, there would be a warning or at least a mention about it.

Thanks

Last edited:

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mountain ascent in 30-06. I have no problems feeding from the top a sliding the bolt home. It also feeds well from the magazine. I did have to take a couple of thousands off the bottom of the mag box but other then that it shoots the Hornady Precision hunters at an inch or less.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mountain ascent in 30-06. I have no problems feeding from the top a sliding the bolt home. It also feeds well from the magazine. I did have to take a couple of thousands off the bottom of the mag box but other then that it shoots the Hornady Precision hunters at an inch or less.
Thanks

And you don't notice that it extracts differently after the shot when you direct feed? It is hard to picture how the extractor can get past the rim if it doesn't feed upwards.

You had to remove a couple thou to make room for the last shell to fit, or to make room for the longer bullet tips?

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
The mag box it self seemed like it was binding on the action I took a little off. Now I can move it a tiny bit with my fingers when I have the bolt back.
I don’t notice it extracting any differently either way.