Kimber Mountain Ascent

I just had my new .270 Mountain Ascent at the range today and I'm instantly in love with this rifle. I had a Leupold VXIII 3.5–10X40 laying around so I went ahead and mounted it. Factory ballistic tip 130 gr. Noslers. After a couple rounds fired at 25 yds, to make sure that I was on paper, this is what I came up with at 100 yds.
ffda910c8edd088ffe6f1a337809041c.jpg

With the factory brake, this thing feels like I'm shooting a 9 lb. 223, but it is nowhere near 9 lbs.
e7b29cb299c7bd3a30babce560c21333.jpg

Now I'm left with the dilemma of taking this or my .280 AI Montana to Kodiak tomorrow. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't sighted this in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
TB,

Mine seems to shoot most of my loads quite well also. It does very well with 150 NPs over 60.5 grs of RL26 as recommended by John Barsness.
John is getting near 3100 fps with this load.

Yesterday I tried some old 160NPs over 59.5 grs of RL26 for a 3 shot .675 group seated .015 off.
I also tried my wolf/caribou load of 110gr TTSX over 59 grs of RL17 seated .040 off. Again sub MOA.

OP
AK Troutbum
Good to know, thanks Vern. I haven't bought dies for this yet, but I will in the near future. It's always good to hear recipes that are working for other folks.

oenanthe

WKR
Maybe you should just sell one of those POSs. :)

More seriously, could you tell us more about the muzzle brake? Is it noisy? Does it anger the guy standing next to you?

I'm just asking because I have a much-loved 7mm-08 Montana and am considering another somewhat bigger Kimber. But I'm not sure if I want a .300 WM or WSM that only weighs 6-7 lbs. Wondering if the muzzle brake would make the difference, and if it's practical.

Muttly

WKR
Been pondering one of those in 280 AI for quite a while. Got a few hundred rounds of .270 sittin around going stale, seeing that gets me thinking about taking the path of least resistance.....
Good to hear the brake works well!

OP
AK Troutbum

More seriously, could you tell us more about the muzzle brake? Is it noisy? Does it anger the guy standing next to you?

I'm just asking because I have a much-loved 7mm-08 Montana and am considering another somewhat bigger Kimber. But I'm not sure if I want a .300 WM or WSM that only weighs 6-7 lbs. Wondering if the muzzle brake would make the difference, and if it's practical.

I have a Montana .300 WSM that I bought back in the early 2000's, when they first started putting them out and I never did anything to it other then mount a scope and start using it for all my mountain hunts. Last year, when it was determined that my 12 yo son was going to use it for a goat hunt, I did a few modifications to lighten it up a bit and had a muzzle brake put on it. I've never been a fan of brakes and that was the first time I'd ever shot a rifle with a break. I think that I may be a fan now. The rifle shot very well from the get go but after putting the brake on, it tightened the groups up even more. Also, and more importantly for me, it made it so my 80 lb. boy could shoot it without getting beat to death. I'm sure it's a lot louder but I'm always wearing ear protection, even in the field, so I don't really notice. As far as the folks standing next to me at the range, all I can say is, I hope they're wearing their ear protection.

GKPrice

Banned

I have not shot any MA's but plenty of Montana's and unless you're shooting one of the 6lb 10oz magnums (and those don't need a brake either IMO) I can't see the "need" for a brake on any of the MA's - I'll admit I'm prejudiced toward NO brakes (they belong on vehicles) but I've shot all the other chamberings and "NOPE, don't need no stinkin' brake" , and on a 7mm-08 ?! (Harriet! It's the big one !!)
NOW, to your other question (AND the reason I don't like brakes) YES THEY'RE LOUD !!

GKPrice

Banned
I have a Montana .300 WSM that I bought back in the early 2000's, when they first started putting them out and I never did anything to it other then mount a scope and start using it for all my mountain hunts. Last year, when it was determined that my 12 yo son was going to use it for a goat hunt, I did a few modifications to lighten it up a bit and had a muzzle brake put on it. I've never been a fan of brakes and that was the first time I'd ever shot a rifle with a break. I think that I may be a fan now. The rifle shot very well from the get go but after putting the brake on, it tightened the groups up even more. Also, and more importantly for me, it made it so my 80 lb. boy could shoot it without getting beat to death. I'm sure it's a lot louder but I'm always wearing ear protection, even in the field, so I don't really notice. As far as the folks standing next to me at the range, all I can say is, I hope they're wearing their ear protection.

AK, I understand what you're saying but something else to consider is we are in another age, a huge step forward age, of bullets that do what we are not expecting bullets to be able to do - My Grandson will be shooting a 243 for his first hunt and in the meantime I'm going to test some of the new wave game bullets myself to prove TO MYSELF BEFOREHAND that my opinions are actually worthy of merit - "IF" we experience an unprotected muzzle blast from a moderate rifle as opposed to the same from a muzzle braked rifle, and I know it can easily happen, the damage will be significantly less to a young pair of ears - This is all just my opinion but I've got a great case of tinnitus and those unexpected "BANG-CRACKS" from my "buddies" brakes helped it along I have no doubts - There are a lot of shooters and hunters who are in love with muzzle brakes, there's only ONE I'd ever put on a gun of mine and that's Richard Buss's "muzzle master" baffled brake, I've tested them extensively and they honestly work but I still don't like 'em hanging on the end of my barrel

oenanthe

WKR
A .300 WSM, .280 AI, and a .270. Holy cow! Only thing wrong is that you don't seem to have an 84M. Just try one and you'll have trouble going back to those heavy 6 lb. boat paddles. :D

Thanks for the info! I usually don't wear hearing protection in the field, but I could probably learn to (earplugs, anyway). At the range I'm always well protected.

What about using the brake at the range, but not in the field? Have you tried that? Any idea if the brake changes the POI much?

oenanthe

WKR
I appreciate that perspective, GK, because I too have some tinnitus that I don't want to exacerbate. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never been around anyone who had a brake; hence my ignorance.

There's no brake on my 7mm-08 84M (2008 version) and I don't anticipate changing that. But it seems that Kimber is putting brakes on all the MAs, and even the 84M and 84L are threaded for them now according to the website.

OP
AK Troutbum
A .300 WSM, .280 AI, and a .270. Holy cow! Only thing wrong is that you don't seem to have an 84M. Just try one and you'll have trouble going back to those heavy 6 lb. boat paddles. :D

Thanks for the info! I usually don't wear hearing protection in the field, but I could probably learn to (earplugs, anyway). At the range I'm always well protected.

What about using the brake at the range, but not in the field? Have you tried that? Any idea if the brake changes the POI much?

I'll be taking the .280 for this hunt, no brake on that one. It is over 6 lbs., but not by much.
6d45540ea6418ac383ff4c59140d00da.jpg

Stid2677

WKR
I appreciate that perspective, GK, because I too have some tinnitus that I don't want to exacerbate. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never been around anyone who had a brake; hence my ignorance.

There's no brake on my 7mm-08 84M (2008 version) and I don't anticipate changing that. But it seems that Kimber is putting brakes on all the MAs, and even the 84M and 84L are threaded for them now according to the website.

I spoke to a Kimber factory rep at the SHOT show, he told me that the brakes were installed more for accuracy and to reduce muzzle flip than for reduced recoil. I know from personal experience all 3 of my Kimbers are more accurate with the brakes on.

OP
AK Troutbum
I spoke to a Kimber factory rep at the SHOT show, he told me that the brakes were installed more for accuracy and to reduce muzzle flip than for reduced recoil. I know from personal experience all 3 of my Kimbers are more accurate with the brakes on.

I don't doubt this at all but they definitely have the added side effect of recoil reduction. Like I stated earlier, when I squeeze the trigger on that .270 MA, it reminds me of my mother, kissing me on the cheek at bed time, when I was just a wee lad. I'll continue to stick with the old M70 pre 64's as my favorite rifles, but these Kimber's sure have found a place in my heart....and my safe.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boy you sure have it rough..... I'll have to go talk nice to my plain old 700 .270. I love the round so far. It's fairly new to me but I've dropped the hammer on a goat and caribou with great results. I shoot off the shelf Barnes with great accuracy considering my abilities.

oenanthe

WKR

Thanks for that info, Steve. Are all of yours MAs? I've read enough of your posts over the years that I ought to know ... but I don't.

Stid2677

WKR
Thanks for that info, Steve. Are all of yours MAs? I've read enough of your posts over the years that I ought to know ... but I don't.

2 MAs one 30-06 and the other 280AI,, and I have an Adirondack in 6.5mm Creedmore.