New Tikka T3X Superlite

I just started the paperwork on a new T3x today! Pretty stoked about it. I had been looking at getting a new rifle for a while and was looking hard at a 6.5 Creedmoor. I already have a Tikka 7mm-08 so I figured there wasnt a ton of need in the 6.5. I've also got a 7mm mag so I was looking for something with a little more authority. I wanted something I could take out of state for everything from antelope to elk, if I can talk my buddies into an elk hunt. So after going back and forth between a 300 Win Mag and a 300 WSM I decided to go with a 300 win mag. Basically my decision came down to ammo availability. I reload but figured if I ever did happen to leave my ammo at home it would be easy to find ammo anywhere.

I was hoping for some input from some of the other Tikka owners here. I am going to put a limbsaver recoil pad on it for sure. I think probably a break too. What breaks are you guys using? Seems like there's a lot of love for the micro bastard. Also what scope do you guys think would work out best for say shooting to 600? I was checking out the swarovski and zeiss scopes. Any recommendations for a place here in california to possibly get the stocked dipped? Any other mods that I should do? Thanks for any input!!

HOT ROD

WKR
Yes micro bastard. I run a leupold vx3 30mm tube wind plex 4.5x14 40mm. I have found that H 4831 is my go to powder with 180,200 grain accubonds. And 200 grain bergers. These are all ran in the clip. Berger 210s get H1000. Ran out of the clip

Beastmode

WKR
I run a defensive edge brake it does wonders. My 15 year old daughter shoots my 300 with no problem. The 215 bergers in front of h1000 is absolute magic. Not sure if the Tikka mag will hold them but the hybrids aren't as picky as the vld to seating depth. I took a bull at 756 and my daughter and I doubled up on whitetail this week at 545. If you want to shoot let me know I'm in cottonwood. I would look at the Swarovski scopes if you are trying to save weight and have a scope that constantly tracks. I have a nightforce on mine but I'm shooting past 600.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Beastmode

WKR
Beastmode are U shooting 215s out of a stock tikka barrel. What kind of velocity are u getting?
No I am shooting them out of a Remington barrel. I had a load that was shooting .6 moa at 2850. I backed it down to a more consistent load with an ES of 10 and that is shooting 2730. There is another load that showed promise around 2820 that I will play around with this spring. The 215s are faster than the 210 because of the shorter bearing surface.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
ReddingArcher
Thanks for the offer Beastmode, I'd definitely like to get together to shoot sometime! I'll work up some of those recommended loads too, I appreciate it!

HOT ROD

WKR
Beastmode thanks.. That makes since... I don't think a tikka 1:11 twist will stabilize the 215s. I am wanting to try the new 200x20x Bergers that they came out with.....

02sedona

FNG
Nice choice on a new rifle. I just got tempted by sportsmans warehouse when they had them on sale for $699. Picked up the same model as you t3x superlight 300wm. Now I'm saving up for an appropriate scope to put on it.

OP
ReddingArcher
Nice choice on a new rifle. I just got tempted by sportsmans warehouse when they had them on sale for $699. Picked up the same model as you t3x superlight 300wm. Now I'm saving up for an appropriate scope to put on it.

Congrats on the new rifle too 02sedona! I have been going back and forth on what scope to put on this thing, I have a few more days before I can pick up the gun so I have a little time to figure it out! What scopes are you looking at?

02sedona

FNG
I'm broke for now, purchased the Tikka and a Savage lightweight hunter in 6.5 creedmore with a Vortex diamondback 4-12x40 recently. I now have plenty of time to get a scope figured out on the Tikka before next season. Thinking a leupold vx-3i mounted on some talley rings might be the call though. The plan is to use the Savage as a woods gun and the Tikka as a open range/mtn rifle.

brn2hnt

WKR
I was debating between a Superlite in 300 vs 7mm, I ended up going the 7mm route mainly because I don't have one and already ad two heavier 300's. That and they would have had to transfer a 300 from Redding and the 7mm was in stock. My 10 days expires today so I can't wait to start assembly tonight. I am going to start out with a leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40mm with CDS sitting in a DNZ mount. Also picked up the Sims air cell pad to hopefully tame the recoil enough so I don't feel required to put a brake on. Local range here only goes to 550 yds so after shooting some factory loads to break in the barrel and form brass I might have to look for something to try to validate drops once I start reloading for this rifle. Can't wait to start, seems like everything I hear about the tikka's has been good aside from mag length.

OP
ReddingArcher
Congrats on the new shooter brn2hnt! Definitely post up some pictures when you get it all set up. I went back and forth on 300 vs 7mm too, I'm glad you went 7mm as the one they would have transferred from Redding was most likely the last one in stock there and is the one I got lol. I can't wait to get home this weekend and pick up my gun. I ordered a rail and recoil pad from mountain tactical and it should be waiting for me to put on when I get home.

OP
ReddingArcher
I've had my gun for a little while now and have got it broken in. My first range session I shot 1 round and cleaned, I did this for the first 10 rounds then went to 3 shot strings. During those first 10 rounds I shot a group that measured .267 inches, I wish I had a picture of that. The thing flat out shoots! I haven't totally decided on a brake yet, recoil isn't nearly as stout as I expected, but I wouldn't mind the brake just for being able to spot hits a little easier. After reading some of the posts in the tikka/Montana thread about 10 shot strings I decided to try it as I've always just stuck with 3 shot groups. Here's what my 10 shot group looked like today.

OP
ReddingArcher
I shotoff a bipod and a rear bag, from my standpoint a 10 shot group at 1.6 inches isn't bad especially for factory ammo. I'm excited to see what it'll do with handloads! I also feel like the gun is capable of much tighter 3 shot groups but was curious about the 10 shot groups that formidous talked about.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys running for mounts? I am planning to buy a super lite 300wm. I recently bought the scope for it - a vx-6 2-12, 30mm tube.

OP
ReddingArcher
I've got a Warne rail and rings on mine, I could save a couple of ounces probably by going with a DNZ mount or a Mountain Tactical rail but the MT didnt work with my Tikka and I got impatient and wanted to start shooting this gun so just went with what Sportsmans had in stock.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Warne rail and rings on mine, I could save a couple of ounces probably by going with a DNZ mount or a Mountain Tactical rail but the MT didnt work with my Tikka and I got impatient and wanted to start shooting this gun so just went with what Sportsmans had in stock.

Thanks Redding. So you are suggesting DNZ? Time isn't really an issue for me since I don't even have the gun yet. Does anyone else have a strong opinion one way or the other? I am looking for the lightest weight possible bulletproof rig.

OP
ReddingArcher
Thanks Redding. So you are suggesting DNZ? Time isn't really an issue for me since I don't even have the gun yet. Does anyone else have a strong opinion one way or the other? I am looking for the lightest weight possible bulletproof rig.

I would probably give the DNZ a shot on the next tikka I get, I am fine with the Warne rings but they are a couple ounces heavier than I had wanted to go. The mountain tactical rail is suppose to be really good too but it just didnt work with my particular rifle. I put it on an older T3 and had no issues with it on that rifle.

GKPrice

Banned
I'm broke for now, purchased the Tikka and a Savage lightweight hunter in 6.5 creedmore with a Vortex diamondback 4-12x40 recently. I now have plenty of time to get a scope figured out on the Tikka before next season. Thinking a leupold vx-3i mounted on some talley rings might be the call though. The plan is to use the Savage as a woods gun and the Tikka as a open range/mtn rifle.

I broke from my Leupold tradition and bought a SWFA 3 x 9 x 42 tactical (as suggested by Formidalosis) WOW, what a scope !
Personally I think you'll regret putting a brake on it, 300 Win Mag isn't a cartridge to put a new or small of stature shooter into anyway, and the 300 Win Mag is not a bad kicker at all - I can't say how many I've owned and shot 100's of rounds through and my Son and Son-in-Law both shoot it with no brake, NO PROBLEM - 200 grain Accubonds are easy to get to shoot well in the S.L. and H4831 is a great powder to use - 1:11 twist may or may not "stabilize?" a 215 Berger but why bother when a good bonded core will shoot that well ?? - I'd use the Mountain Tactical alloy rail (no brainer with the Tikka bridge) and whatever your choice of ring as "we" have done (Leupold PRW is a good solid ring but there are others to shop too)