Hawkins rings and bottom metal video

dotman

WKR
Currently can't watch the video but what do you think of the bottom metal? I decided to use it but haven't actually got to check it out yet.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Compared to PGT, it's a Ferrari! It has a serious lock up on the hinged floor plate. I've had lots of issues with the spring giving out and popping open on recoil.

FURMAN

WKR
I have never had an issue with my PTG but the Hawkins is in a different league. As far as rings go, I will never use Talley again. If I need lightweight I would use Hawkins rings.

dotman

WKR
I have never had an issue with my PTG but the Hawkins is in a different league. As far as rings go, I will never use Talley again. If I need lightweight I would use Hawkins rings.

Yeah but he doesn't make them in a 1" anymore.

FURMAN

WKR
I only rifles I have 1" scopes on are my varmint rigs and I would not go that route again. Either way I will never use Talley rings again.

7stw

WKR
Have you tried their detachable bottom metal ? I'm seriously considering trying it for my wife's creedmoor build. Reviews sound good. I know what I'm getting with surgeon but the Hawkins is priced right. Still undecided.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Have you tried their detachable bottom metal ? I'm seriously considering trying it for my wife's creedmoor build. Reviews sound good. I know what I'm getting with surgeon but the Hawkins is priced right. Still undecided.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

I only messed with it for a couple minutes. It looks top notch. The rings and bottom metal will be on my 28 Nosler.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ryan,

You are opening my eyes to another world out there...... my 28 Nosler build may need these.

RdRdrFan

WKR
Best (cheapest) place to buy the bottom metal and follower? Also, I can't find the Long Range Hybrid rings (34mm) in stock anywhere.

dotman

WKR
Best (cheapest) place to buy the bottom metal and follower? Also, I can't find the Long Range Hybrid rings (34mm) in stock anywhere.

Site sponsor Red Hawk Rifles carries this stuff and has good pricing, plus if asked nicely they have been known to give a 5% off code.

Also you can email Andy directly and he'll give you a good idea who has what you want instock.

wildcat33

WKR
Good info to know. I was about to purchase a PTG unit cuz its cheap, but this made me think twice. Hows the weight on that Hawkins? Steel?

RdRdrFan

WKR
Got mine in today. Looks solid. Only complaint is that the action screws in the video weren't included in my packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Good info to know. I was about to purchase a PTG unit cuz its cheap, but this made me think twice. Hows the weight on that Hawkins? Steel?

Aluminum and just as light as a ptg from what I was told, checkout his website. Also with everything it comes with the price isn't much more then the ptg.

dotman

WKR
Got mine in today. Looks solid. Only complaint is that the action screws in the video weren't included in my packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would email Andy, pretty sure they are supposed to be included.

wildcat33

WKR
My Hawkins BDL came in from OTM tactical today. The machining is great, it looks very high quality and the door locks up tight. Very pleased with the product and the service from OTM. I should also add that the machined follower by Hawkins is also super nice.

Bottom metal does not come with screws. The only place I could find the nice stainless torx screws from Hawkins was Wyatts, who were also great to deal with. The rem allen head screws probably would have been fine, but I love torx!