Be Honest!

All of my rifles are cheap, at least by most peoples standards. Savage 111FL pre accu trigger the worst groups it has ever shot is right at 1moa, and a Savage 11GL with the accu trigger that the worst group is well under 1moa. As alluded to above both do it with boring...or is that amusing regularity.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My Browning A-bolt in 7mag was just over $300 almost 30 years ago. It's still the most accurate rifle I've owned and it's all stock. I once shot a 3-shot group from 400 yards with 160gr Barnes MRX bullets with two holes, and both holes were less than 1/2" apart. But that rifle does NOT like a clean barrel. It will shoot 2.5" groups at 100 with a clean unfouled barrel.

My Ruger American Rimfire in .17 HMR shoots quarter sized groups from 100 with 20 rounds with a 3x9 scope.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My Browning A-bolt in 7mag was just over $300 almost 30 years ago. It's still the most accurate rifle I've owned and it's all stock. I once shot a 3-shot group from 400 yards with 160gr Barnes MRX bullets with two holes, and both holes were less than 1/2" apart. But that rifle does NOT like a clean barrel. It will shoot 2.5" groups at 100 with a clean unfouled barrel.

My Ruger American Rimfire in .17 HMR shoots quarter sized groups from 100 with 20 rounds with a 3x9 scope.

Haha my little RAR in 17 HMR does the same thing. Fun little gun for sure!

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
i have a ruger american ranch in 223 that easily outshoots my kimber montana. kinda makes me wanna puke.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every Ruger American rifle that I've owned and shot from the rimfires, American Predator, to the .308 have shot very well. I have the American Predator in 6.5 CM coming as well.

Is that a challenge to all the cheap rifles praised in this thread? Most have stated repeated results. I don't think it's boring if it's a $300 dollar gun with a crap trigger doing it every time. That's quite amusing
It's not a challenge.
If you can do it every time, I guess it becomes less exciting.
I take my bone-stock Tikka 7-08 out of the safe at the beginning of deer season, load one round of my hunting ammo, and punch a perfect 2" high 12 o'clock bull at 100yds, then put it back in the case and take it hunting.
I've done this for years.
It's expected, not exciting.
Satisfying, yes.
One cold bore shot is what this rifle is meant to do.

OP
aclawrence
It's not a challenge.
If you can do it every time, I guess it becomes less exciting.
I take my bone-stock Tikka 7-08 out of the safe at the beginning of deer season, load one round of my hunting ammo, and punch a perfect 2" high 12 o'clock bull at 100yds, then put it back in the case and take it hunting.
I've done this for years.
It's expected, not exciting.
Satisfying, yes.
One cold bore shot is what this rifle is meant to do.

I was just kidding but wouldn't it be funny to have an el cheapo vs the custom rifle Rokslide shoot out one day. Unfortunately or fortunately, I don't think there would be a lot of difference in the group sizes. You can't deny the far superior aesthetics and ergos of the high end rifles though. I got to look at some Christensen's and Fierce rifles the other day and I've got the fever for one pretty bad. They are so nice....and expensive. It's nice that the more affordable rifle can shoot well also.

cooperjd

WKR
My t/c dimension in both .22-250 and .243 barrels are sub moa with factory ammo. Even with my dumbarse behind the stock. Both barrels shot about 1/2" the first time I shot them. It's ugly as hell but the thing shoots great

JWW

WKR
Ruger American Predator 6.5 creedmoor. Haven't even played with the load yet, shooting factory Hornady 120gr A-max. This is at 200, flier is all me. I have $610 into rifle, scope and rings.

Attachments

• IMG_3575.jpg
    IMG_3575.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 62

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
To this day one of the most accurate in the rack is my first 700, bdl, 300 win. stainless barrel built I believe in 64, I bought 2nd. hand at the local sporting goods in 76. Think I paid 300.00 for it, It had a 3-9 Leopold, was has since been replaced. It shoots hand loaded 180 gr. Nosler ballistic tips 1/2"-5/8" groups at a 100 when I do my part on a fouled barrel.
Mike

RBRowser

FNG
I have a Howa 223 and a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor that are both legitimate 1/2 moa rifles. Over the past two years I bought those two rifles, a Cooper, a Christensen, and an HS Precision. The HS was the only one the cheap rifles didn't make look bad. I still have a taste for pricy rifles but some cheap ones flat shoot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
How do you like the ruger American predator 6.5???? I have one on order and I am pretty pumped for it!! What scope are you running on it???

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

How do you like the ruger American predator 6.5???? I have one on order and I am pretty pumped for it!! What scope are you running on it???

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
I have ended up really loving pretty much everything about it, except for the stock (which I replaced with an MDT chassis). I also replaced the trigger spring with a lighter one. I love the feel and function of the action. Smooth, bind free, and it extracts and ejects flawlessly. I also painted the action and barrel to prevent rust, as the factory finish rusted easily on the barrel. Currently I have just a cheap Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44. I bought it because I can run the reticle for drop and drift out over 1k. I don't trust the turrets to dial accurately but it does hold zero.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a ruger American predator in 22-250, it's insanely accurate for a gun that cost me 329.00.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have a Stevens 200 in 7mm08 that is one of the best shooters in the safe. It did not produce good accuracy off the shelf, however. After I bedded the stock and fixed the heavy trigger it prints sub moa all day long. It's ugly, but it works.

JWW

WKR
I have ended up really loving pretty much everything about it, except for the stock (which I replaced with an MDT chassis). I also replaced the trigger spring with a lighter one. I love the feel and function of the action. Smooth, bind free, and it extracts and ejects flawlessly. I also painted the action and barrel to prevent rust, as the factory finish rusted easily on the barrel. Currently I have just a cheap Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44. I bought it because I can run the reticle for drop and drift out over 1k. I don't trust the turrets to dial accurately but it does hold zero.

Where did you find a lighter spring? I'm running an SWFA 10x. Turrets track exceptionally with repeatable results. Shot it to 955 yesterday with first shot hits from 300-700.

Where did you find a lighter spring? I'm running an SWFA 10x. Turrets track exceptionally with repeatable results. Shot it to 955 yesterday with first shot hits from 300-700.
Out of a ballpoint pen. I've done it in five or six rifles now with zero negative results. Of course I test the gun thoroughly before I shoot it after installing the spring. I'm going to switch to an SWFA I think as well.

JWW

WKR
Out of a ballpoint pen. I've done it in five or six rifles now with zero negative results. Of course I test the gun thoroughly before I shoot it after installing the spring. I'm going to switch to an SWFA I think as well.

I want to go heavier than the pen spring. Might just order a few from Wolff. You can't go wrong with the SWFA, the turrets track so well it makes the gun incredibly easy to shoot. I don't want to sound like a broken record but it's pretty amazing.

I have a Schmidt-Rubin K-31 7.5x55mm Swiss military rifle built in 1942. It will fire Privi-Partisan, possibly the dirtiest ammo known to man, in five shot groups that can be covered with a nickel or a quarter at 100yds. That's with iron sights and I bought the gun from an importer in 2006 for $99. I've killed two bucks and several hogs with it using 180gr Norma Oryx hand-loads. The gun is a masterpiece of engineering and is easily the most accurate rifle handed to the average infantryman in WWII. The accuracy I get from mine is absolutely the norm for them. The only WWII era infantry rifle that competes with it is the Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. Look at the CMP Eastern and Western Games results in the vintage rifle class. The top scores are made with Swedish and Swiss rifles and there was a time when you could get them for $100 or less.