Be Honest!

So I went out with my brother to do some shooting with the rifles Monday and I grabbed my cheap Stevens .223 to shoot for fun.

I had shot it on paper once before a few years ago and it shot three holes you could cover with a dime. It's got a cheap Bushnell Banner scope and I was just laying in the back of the truck bed. I was impressed but thought maybe I just got lucky.

So Monday we set up a target at 100yds and I handed it to my brother to shoot in between me sighting in my new Tikka.

I wasn't lucky before. This freaking rifle is a tack driver. This is a 3 shot group of 62gr Federal Fusions.
48b8575b94d064ca2a0bfdc9718d5513.jpg

So be honest, how many of y'all have a cheapo rifle that out shoots your prized rifles?

robtattoo

WKR
Yup.
Savage 110. Ok, I'll admit I built it as a benchrest gun, but without the scope, I'm WELL south of $800. .
6.5x55, 140 Berger hybrids, IMR 7828ssc....
This is my pet load (obviously) 5 rnds at 300yds.

I have a Howa 223 and a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor that are both legitimate 1/2 moa rifles. Over the past two years I bought those two rifles, a Cooper, a Christensen, and an HS Precision. The HS was the only one the cheap rifles didn't make look bad. I still have a taste for pricy rifles but some cheap ones flat shoot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lucafu1

FNG
My Steven .223 shoots just as well as my Predator Hunter. Took a javelina at 445yds with it last year.

WyoElk

WKR
I have an old Savage 111 in 30-06 that has literally had thousands of rounds through it and its still the best most accurate rifle I own. It was probably only a $300 dollar rifle when it was new in the early 90's.

I have two, one savage 110 in 270 that I bought when I was 12 (1990ish) that isn't real picky about loads, and will put most under and inch, and a few under .5.
The other is a marlin xl7 in 30 06 that I got in a car trade (basically for free) that with lots of load development shoots a 180 partition inside of 3/4. It took lots of tinkering, and I almost gave up.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an old Remington 700adl in .270 (pre aps, blind magazine, iron sights) that has a cheap fixed power bushnell scope on it.

I got the gun over 10 years ago with a decent plastic case, sling and 30 rounds of ammo.

It will easily make groups under an inch if you do your part. I paid 150.00 for it randomly one day off a friend of mine. I'd never get rid of it.

Vids

WKR
My grandpa's old Winchester .308 lever action is rock solid every time I shoot, I haven't had to adjust the scope in years. That accuracy and the nostalgia that my grandpa hunted with it have kept me from buying my own rifle for twenty years now.

OP
aclawrence
My grandpa's old Winchester .308 lever action is rock solid every time I shoot, I haven't had to adjust the scope in years. That accuracy and the nostalgia that my grandpa hunted with it have kept me from buying my own rifle for twenty years now.

That's cool being able to hunt with your grandpas rifle. I'm sure he would be happy about that.

Tex68w

WKR
I have a 1968 JM Stamped barrel Marlin 336 RC in 30-30 that I have kept in the traditional open sights setup. That thing shoots the cheap 170gr core-lokt and power-points under 1moa. I couldn't be happier with that purchase and I got it in mint condition for less than half of what similar era models go for on GB. In most of the country I'd consider the 30-30 lever action to be the ultimate brush gun good for taking down anything you might encounter in the woods.

JFK

WKR
My savage 110 in 270 is the most accurate rifle I own. They don't win beauty contests but they shoot.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a 1916 Lee-Enfield .303 british that my dad bought for $50 back in the early 70's. It consistently puts 3 shot groups into 1 hole at 100 yards.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
before they purchased rifles for us to carry, you had to carry your own- the court gave me a rifle I had seized in a spotlighting case- an older Remington 788 in .243, topped with an old Weaver 4X scope. This thing was nothing to look at and rattled behind my seat (well before we got extended cabs) on some of the roughest roads in the country. I shot cheap factory ammo, but this beater was a tack driver! All the years it got beat around and shot, it never lost zero. I can't even guess how many deer and elk fell to this rifle (this was back in the day when kill permits were very routine).

I'll always remember that little rifle :)

TheCougar

WKR
I had a walmart special Remmy 700ADL (the ugly black one that is <$400) with a $200 Burris scope on it that is an absolute tack driver. it outshoots my Tikka, which drives me crazy!

OP
aclawrence
I had a walmart special Remmy 700ADL (the ugly black one that is <$400) with a $200 Burris scope on it that is an absolute tack driver. it outshoots my Tikka, which drives me crazy!

Lol, that's funny. I had one of those rifles I bought back in the late 90's. I never did get mine to shoot very well.

I remember the first time I took it hunting. I was just using the iron sights on the rifle. I couldn't find the turn off down to the ladder stand so I went back and switched with my dad. He went down to the stand I was trying to find and shot two deer with his old pump shotgun. I was just down the creek from him and I about jumped out of the stand when he shot. I remember how cold I was and how that shot startled me. I think it was our first hunt together that one of us killed a deer.

OP
aclawrence
Is that a challenge to all the cheap rifles praised in this thread? Most have stated repeated results. I don't think it's boring if it's a $300 dollar gun with a crap trigger doing it every time. That's quite amusing

My dad bought my mom a marlin lever action 30-30 at wal mart about 30 years ago. I think he said it was about $200. He put a $30 tasco scope on it for her. It's been driving tacks ever since. We've never made one adjustment to the scope since it was first sighted in. She's killed many deer with it, and I killed my first deer with it as well. Never jammed either.

Ill letch'all know soon when I get my Savage 6.5 creedmore out again to do some more work with it on the bench I recently got.
Only have 40 rounds through it and its getting more accurate the more I shoot it. likes 143 ELD-x the best so far.