Kimber Montana vs. Tikka T3x Superlite vs. Savage 16 LWH (308)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
agreed, with 8 shot groups and small barrels- which shots came first is a piece of info I'd be very interested in

16Bore

WKR
Same rifle, same scope, same rings, same ammo, same rest, same results.

My first move would be to throw the scope off the highest bridge I could find.

When I had the action out of the stock, the stock looked good, the mag box didn't bind, and I torqued everything back down to proper values.

I have no idea what it could be.

If your action screws are out, and your barreled action is sitting in the stock, do you have much play or wiggle room?

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
I wish! They were all over the place, unfortunately.

Curious if you noted shot order? If those 5 in the center on both the Fusions and GMM were the first five, then you've got a pretty fine shooting rifle (3/4" if I'm looking right) ...at least until it heats up. If those out hits were earlier in the string then there's definitely some randomness going on.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't pay special attention to it, but I don't remember any. And, as noted, when I torqued the action screws, the torque went to final value in an all but imperceptible amount of rotation; it got tight fast.

If your action screws are out, and your barreled action is sitting in the stock, do you have much play or wiggle room?

I didn't pay special attention to it, but I don't remember any. And, as noted, when I torqued the action screws, the torque went to final value in an all but imperceptible amount of rotation; it got tight fast.

Understood - a good bedding job will prevent slop even without screws... there can be minimal movement, even with screws.

Just a thought.

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider

16Bore

WKR
Sometimes you've got to put race fuel in a race car.

And sometimes you gotta know how to drive one.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some people know everything while everyone else knows nothing it's the awesomeness of the internet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
hunting - What load was this that you were shooting? Factory? Hand-load?

Kimbers are junk! And mine is in .308 so it won't kill anything either.

It died this year laughing at my Kimber.

Mtnboy

WKR
T3x Superlite .308 box stock.

Barrel not cleaned in I don't know how many shots.

Probably a dozen shots down the tube in 20 minutes or so.

Factory ammo, Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Bonded Tip

100yds

Good enough for me.

9ce72123efa45422d4cefc6c96c0b078.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
T3x Superlite .308 box stock.

Barrel not cleaned in I don't know how many shots.

Probably a dozen shots down the tube in 20 minutes or so.

Factory ammo, Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Bonded Tip

100yds

Good enough for me.

9ce72123efa45422d4cefc6c96c0b078.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

the kind of accuracy I've had with so many Tikkas (except that 300 wsm and the 338 AND the 2 7mmRM's with HS issues, that's out of ?? many) I tried to backtrack on this thread to count how many members suggested, recommended or mentioned he should get a Tikka superlight 308 - Apparently he wanted to get pissed at me because he didn't listen to all the others ...... I've had 3 .308 superlights, all T3 (pre "X") and they all were tack drivers and were talked out of my ownership and into buddy's hands (and I hear about it a lot) Don't really know what to say other than I "should" have kept my mouth (fingers) shut - I STILL have the Hunter in 6.5 CM that I cut down for my GS, it has one cow notch on it but hasn't shot a sub 2" group with a HUNTING bullet to this day - Kimber "might" get their act together some day, truly hope they do .......

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, once again, I am totally impressed with the tikka t3 lite......this one was actually a t3x in 300 wsm that I am developing a load for one of my hunting partners last Sunday. These were the very first rounds shot out of it. I just picked a load from the berger manual with the 185 grain and reloder 17. Both 62 and 60 grains shot the same size groups. I think it has some promise.........

Randy.

20170924_164437.jpg

Last edited: