New 300wsm - Christensen/Fierce/Tikka decision

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
I'm look at a new rifle, kinda weird to admit but my last rifle purchase was in 1994, Remington 700 30.06. I'm looking to pickup a 300wsm for future elk hunting and longer range deer hunting.

I've narrowed it down a bit but am now stuck in a 3 way choice. My main requirements are 300 wsm, muzzle brake (had neck surgery a year ago so I'd like to limit recoil), moderate weight, weather resistance, detachable mag.

So for my three choices:

Christensen Ridgeline - everything but the detachable mag. I've lived with the hinged floor plate since '94 so its not a total deal breaker.

Fierce Fury - Fits the bill all around.

Tikka T3x Lite SS - missing the muzzle brake but could be added.

Others considered and eliminated:
Kimber Montana - blind mag, not even a floor plate
Savage (several) - 2 shell capacity for 300 wsm
Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Speed - dont like the colors, yeah thats petty but with my track record ill be looking at this rifle for a long time.

So the first decision is whether to go the "boutique" route with the CA/Fury or the utilitarian Tikka. i have enough budget allocated for any of these rifles and a scope so thats not a big deal. Just trying to decide if there is enough value in the CA/Fury to justify their additional cost.

Second decision would be between the Christensen Ridgeline and the Fierce Fury. I've been googling but haven't found a ton of firsthand experience with the Fury to make me feel confident in them.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've shot a bunch of Tikkas and three Ridgelines. Only handled the Fierce but they seem to be pretty nice from what I could tell without actually shooting it. Every single Tikka I've shot has been a sub moa gun and most have been closer to .5 moa or better. Of the three Ridgelines I've shot and reloaded for, all three shoot around .5 moa but recently one of them started shooting pretty bad. I'm thinking it's a bedding issue and am going to send it back to them so they can make it right. I already contacted them and they said they would take care of it.

Hard to beat a Tikka for the price imo, but I think any one of the three you mentioned will make a great rifle for you.

You might also take a look at the Christensen Mesa rifle that was released last fall. It's about 6.7 lbs and has a great feel. I haven't shot one of them yet but should be trying one out soon.

OP
Crotalus

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately no .300WSM in the Mesa

Speeddmn

FNG
If you are looking for a 300 WSM and wanting a muzzle break for recoil issues, why not look at a different caliber? The Hells canyon can be cerekoted or hydro dipped to whatever color/camo/etc you want if that was the only deal breaker. I know of a couple gun smiths near me that will or would charge way less for a custom rifle then what CA would cost. Especially if you already have the glass. I once had a 300 WSM in an ABolt and didn't like it so I sold it and bought a 7mm 08, way less recoil and cheaper to reload for.

A couple calibers I would choose over a 300 WSM if I had to do it again.
7mm08
6.5 Creedmoor
260 Rem
280 AI
7Mag
300 WM

All of these will take any deer or elk in the 400 yard range. Food for thought is all.

OP
Crotalus

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking for a 300 WSM and wanting a muzzle break for recoil issues, why not look at a different caliber? The Hells canyon can be cerekoted or hydro dipped to whatever color/camo/etc you want if that was the only deal breaker. I know of a couple gun smiths near me that will or would charge way less for a custom rifle then what CA would cost. Especially if you already have the glass. I once had a 300 WSM in an ABolt and didn't like it so I sold it and bought a 7mm 08, way less recoil and cheaper to reload for.

Stumbled onto a Hells Canyon SMOKE in a shop last night, man that was a nice looking action and barrel, the stock was a bit funky though.

LOL there are so many good guns and calibers out there I just had to draw line in the sand and say this is what i want. My brother-in-law does all my reloading and he has good .300WSM loads already worked up so that was a big deciding factor.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Honestly I have a Tikka in 300 WSM with a Limbsaver recoil pad and I don't think the recoil is bad at all. I love that gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Yeah the wsm family is kind of in between a 30-06 and 300wm, it is that bad at all.

You can always have the canyon speed dipped to a new pattern.

I don't like 90 degree bolt lifts. That is only reason I went away from my ridgeline.

I ordered a fierce ti edge.

With the tikka and your budget, just uparade the stock and you may be set. Mcmillan edge?

elkguide

WKR
Stumbled onto a Hells Canyon SMOKE in a shop last night, man that was a nice looking action and barrel, the stock was a bit funky though.

LOL there are so many good guns and calibers out there I just had to draw line in the sand and say this is what i want. My brother-in-law does all my reloading and he has good .300WSM loads already worked up so that was a big deciding factor.

I have some great .5" MOA loads for one rifle that will not get 1.5" in another rifle.
I do like the .300 WSM caliber though.

Rucker61

WKR
I went the Tikka route. Caught a Father's Day sale at Sportsman's Warehouse and saved $100, added a Mini-mag Muscle Brake, had it cerakoted, dipped the stock and it shoots 1/2 MOA with my Barnes 168 gr handloads at 3220 FPS. Kicks less than my Tikka .308.

GKPrice

Banned
It sounds as if you've already done a fair amount of consideration and shopping already so there's no need for anyone to attempt to "sway" your choice or list of potentials - I would say (ad nausem) that a Tikka superlight in 30.06 doesn't leave much on the table in a comparison with the 300 WSM and there are some gained points as well - I was looking at the Fierce the SW sells the other day, nicely built rifle - The LAW is also a nice rifle that is enduring a lot of bad press from a FEW growing pains (what upstart company hasn't had this ?) My son in law bought a LAW in 300 Win Mag this past fall, killed his elk at a fair # of steps handily with Nosler ammo, haven't had the chance to load for it, chomping at the bit though - I've heard a lot of good and bad on the CA's, the only hands on experiences have been with their originals in 22-250, 2 of 'em, they lost accuracy way too soon to suit me, I have a PacNor barreled 22-250 with 4 times the rounds those had that still shoots 1/4" at 200 yds, has to make a guy wonder ......

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately no .300WSM in the Mesa

You're right. I forgot about that when I suggested it.

I really think this is going to come down to whichever rifle you think you will like best. Just pick one and enjoy. They will all kill stuff really dead.......

wildcat33

WKR
europtic has the T3 in 300WSM for 589 right now. Thats in the wood stock. I dont care for the tikka syn stock so that would be a + for me. That said I had the UL tikka 300wsm and if I could do it over I would just do 30-06.

The Tikkas are taking off in the aftermarket, if you get bored with it there are plenty of custom upgrades that could be done. i.e. McMillan hunter stock, LRI recoil lug, etc. At which point you basically have a custom rifle for less than 2k.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I'm mighty partial to my Sako 75 Finnlight in 300 wsm. There's nothin I can complain about. It's been a great mountain rig over the years (for a magnum, I think base weight is around 6 lbs), and it's superbly accurate with factory and handloads.

matthewmt

WKR
Tikkas barrel quality is top notch. I do wish however they would go ahead and offer threaded muzzles and barrel length options for the t3 lineup.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The sako finnlight 300 wsm I had experience with was a lemon. Company did right and refunded money. I'd give them another chance though.

GKPrice

Banned
I'm mighty partial to my Sako 75 Finnlight in 300 wsm. There's nothin I can complain about. It's been a great mountain rig over the years (for a magnum, I think base weight is around 6 lbs), and it's superbly accurate with factory and handloads.

Poor choices for better scope mounts and weird magazine release or I'd own one

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Huh. I never gave those things a second thought. I guess as they say, different strokes for different folks....

OP
Crotalus

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I'm leaning towards the Fierce or the Tikka at this point, which is kind of funny since the Ridgeline was at the top of my list for the past couple weeks.

Fierce seems to be the turn-key option while Tikka will need some tweaks (brake, possible stock)

I'm going to hold off until the Great American Sport Show next week where i can handle all three of them at pretty much the same time.