Optics for mountain rifle

Got a howa alpine mountain rifle in 6.5 creedmore, now looking at scopes. Initially was thinking about leupold vx3 2.5-8x36, but am open to other ideas, this would mainly be a mule deer hunting rig for backpack style hunts. Any other scopes that should be considered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
lightweight rifle deserves a lightweight scope :)

that's a good choice imo; others to consider Leupold FX-6- straight 6 power (x36), mine is under 10 oz; more $, but the Swaro Z3 3-9x36 is a very nice scope- right at 12 oz

Leupold makes a lightweight line w/ a 3-9x33, but I found it a little troublesome w/ eye relief, you may not???? they also make a 2-7x28 Lightweight that's only 8 oz, but again eye relief might be an issue

wyosteve

WKR
You're right on track. I use 2.5x8's on mine generally. I did put a Swaro 3x10 on last year which worked fine and was only about 1 oz. heavier than the Leupold.

Jimbob

WKR
I have used vx3 2.5-8x36 in the past but now use vx2 2-7x33, price being the main factor. The vx2 is a great scope for the money and for me I cannot justify the extra cost.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
I have used vx3 2.5-8x36 in the past but now use vx2 2-7x33, price being the main factor. The vx2 is a great scope for the money and for me I cannot justify the extra cost.

Hey Jimbob. I'm considering these 2 scopes also. How much difference did you notice between the two. Curious as to what made you decide the vx3 is not worth the extra cost.

Also, you guys that have Swaro Z3s, what made you choose them over the cheaper Vx-3s?

GKPrice

Banned
IME you'll be happier with the VX3i line-up - for the miniscule added weight I'd go with a 3.5x10x40mm but I must admit that the Z3 is a mighty nice scope too - FX2 6x36 is a good an ULTRALIGHT optic as there is also (if you are thinking of any reticle other than a WIDE DUPLEX don't stop until you get to 10x for the upper, dots are too close together otherwise IMO)

robtattoo

WKR
A cheaper option, if price is an issue, is the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35. It's a little heavier (stated weigh is 14oz, mine came in at 12½) but under $200
It's not too picky about eye relief & the BDC reticle isn't to fussy.

That's an excellent scope you chose and I think that the 6x36 would also be a fantastic scope. I really like the 6x36 and 6x42, but the 6x42 is slightly heavier and larger. For your rifle and your purposes I would stick take the smaller straight six!

Jimbob

WKR
I don't glass with my scope so I don't need awesome glass for a scope. I spend a small amount of time looking through my scope when hunting. I need it to be bright enough when I look through it to kill animals at legal light, I need it to be lightweight and of course hold zero. The VX2 does all of this for cheaper than the VX3. Why spend more?

I love good gear and buying the best I can afford but I cannot afford everything I want. That means on some pieces I need to be smart financially. Put the money savings from a scope towards a better backpack or boots or clothes or whatever you need to upgrade.

That is what works for me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I don't glass with my scope so I don't need awesome glass for a scope. I spend a small amount of time looking through my scope when hunting. I need it to be bright enough when I look through it to kill animals at legal light, I need it to be lightweight and of course hold zero. The VX2 does all of this for cheaper than the VX3. Why spend more?

I love good gear and buying the best I can afford but I cannot afford everything I want. That means on some pieces I need to be smart financially. Put the money savings from a scope towards a better backpack or boots or clothes or whatever you need to upgrade.

That is what works for me.

Hard to argue with that train of thought...

wyosteve

WKR
I wanted to try a Z3 for the higher magnification, i.e. 10x vs. 8x without going to a bigger objective lens. Can't say I've seen a huge difference and am contemplating putting my Leupold back on.

handwerk

WKR
I have several VX3's and think they are a nice scope as well as the fixed 6x36, but many of my rifles have Z3's and to my eye's there is a noticeable improvement in the view especially at dawn and dusk, well worth it to me.

hodgeman

WKR
There isn't any reasonable shot in the mountains you can't make with a 6x....why complicate your life when you don't need to?

Spend the extra money on better rain gear, better boots or better binos.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
There isn't any reasonable shot in the mountains you can't make with a 6x....why complicate your life when you don't need to?

Spend the extra money on better rain gear, better boots or better binos.

But what is the 2-7X33 is the same price or less? Then what ;)

Just kidding....either will work just fine...hard to go wrong there.