Kimber Adirondack the ultimate high country rifle?

stillar

FNG
Brightwhite, I just got word today, to get cut, crowned, and threaded with thread protector, painted, bedded, trigger lightened cost $415 Canadian, plus I bought an aluminium trigger guard and Ti bolt handle, which I think was about 150-160 US. should have the gun by next week and will post a few pictures

stillar

FNG
Luke it went alright, the flutes don't go very far down the barrel, so there was some room the chop it down a bit

Brendan

WKR
Yeah, the crappy accuracy sucks ;)

Empty:
f5756cb9c94e19b0cb30679f533d3017.jpg

Best Group with Factory Ammo:
46cc22cc0841002bae28dfc410a2ae40.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd rather have a rifle that is accurate and gives.me confidence than one that satisfies the weight requirement of the latest marketing-driven fad.

How far do you hunt? What do you consider accurate? What do you consider lightweight?

This all differs person to person of course but wondering what you find acceptable parameters for your hunting needs?

16Bore

WKR
The extra $400-$500 between the Montana and Adirondack is hardy worth any "gains" in my book. As for chambering, that discussion will never be settled. I quit handloading so 308 is tops. Factory loads in 130 TTSX, 155 Scenars, and 178 ELDX would be 3 reasons for me. Then there's the other 100+ types of ammo sitting on the shelves as well.

No brainer.

It'd be easy to take the extra dough and shave pounds outta the pack instead of ounces off the rifle.

It'd be easy to take the extra dough and shave pounds outta the pack instead of ounces off the rifle.

I agree. I was into hiking/backpacking before hunting so when I got into this, I already had a bunch of lightweight gear(my base weight for backpacking is around 9lbs, without food or water). Hunting is inherently heavier, but there is no reason why you should be lugging 50+lbs of gear into the wilderness. A lot of the folks that do this are also the ones that want the lightest weight gun.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for shedding weight wherever possible... but the rifle itself is the least efficient way to spend the money. We live in a time where you can get a 6.5 pound or less rifle for under $700. A lot of them come with accuracy guarantees. Are they a Kimber or other custom? Of course not, but can that $2,000 rifle kill something more dead than the $700 rifle that shoots just as good? Is a pound of weight difference really worth $1,300? or more?

Brendan

WKR
Targets shot from a bench do not impress me.

When your heart is racing and you are breathing heavy at the top of a ridge after humping it, what you can do at that time is all that matters.

Works fine on animals too. In my book - light or heavy doesn't matter at the ranges I shoot, and light is a benefit off hand and having to carry it... I have an 11 pound rifle, and it gets left in the safe.

e41ea61df82458426dfc9ccaaf46968d.jpg

Jimbob

WKR
Targets shot from a bench do not impress me.

When your heart is racing and you are breathing heavy at the top of a ridge after humping it, what you can do at that time is all that matters.
Can you not shoot a light gun in hunting conditions? If not then I am happy that you have found something that works for you and provides you to be successful. There are many other guys here that can shoot a light gun EXTREMELY effectively and they have the numerous animals to prove it. That appears to be something you cannot do so don't come here and put down a guy who can do what you can't.

If you are trying to make a valid point and share information then learn to do it in a constructive way with out sounding like an internet jerk.

16Bore

WKR
Shit is so overblown. Guys can spend piles of dough on gear, shave their junk, and manage a selfie, but are too phuqqin stupid to tell shit from shinola without googling it first.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Learn it, live it, love it.

Or google it

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Shit is so overblown. Guys can spend piles of dough on gear, shave their junk, and manage a selfie, but are too phuqqin stupid to tell shit from shinola without googling it first.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Learn it, live it, love it.

Or google it

A lot of guys and gals come here to gather knowledge, and decide how to spend their hard earned piles of dough.

A little bit of tongue-in-cheek can add some fun to the offseason, but condescension at every turn doesn't make that learning process any easier.

It makes it intimidating for new hunters to post.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I agree. I was into hiking/backpacking before hunting so when I got into this, I already had a bunch of lightweight gear(my base weight for backpacking is around 9lbs, without food or water). Hunting is inherently heavier, but there is no reason why you should be lugging 50+lbs of gear into the wilderness. A lot of the folks that do this are also the ones that want the lightest weight gun.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for shedding weight wherever possible... but the rifle itself is the least efficient way to spend the money. We live in a time where you can get a 6.5 pound or less rifle for under $700. A lot of them come with accuracy guarantees. Are they a Kimber or other custom? Of course not, but can that $2,000 rifle kill something more dead than the $700 rifle that shoots just as good? Is a pound of weight difference really worth $1,300? or more?

I agree the rifle is generally the last place to save weight effeiciently. That said I am one of those guys that often leaves the trailhead with 50 pounds or more to start a hunt. But by the time I at 10 days of food (12-15 pounds), a packraft and associated gear (20 pounds), spotter and tripod (5-6 pounds), binos, 2 liters of water, and a rifle I am already over 50 pounds.

The shelter, pack and sleep system are the lightweight part of the equation. But if I can leave the trailhead with a 4.5-5 pound and I can afford to buy one why not. Again it's the least efficient place to cut weight. I could certainly do just as well with a 6.75 pound scoped Ruger American for around $650 all up including a scope over a $2000 scoped 4.5 pound scoped rifle but no have no illusions I could use that $1400 to buy a cuben fiber mid rather than my sil nylon and such. Weight savings on a rifle is much more about a challenge to see what can be done to lighten it up not about actually weight savings when looking at total pack weight. ;)

Last edited:
I picked up a Kimber adirondack abit ago after picking one up at cabelas. I could not put it down! I couldnt be happier with it for a super light rifle. It was on sale and I got a great price on it. It's in 308 and I put on the Kimber brake that is available. It's so easy to shoot and my accuracy off a pack is similar to Brendan's. I have a 2-10 Nikon on it now, but have a vortex razor lh 3-15 sitting here that will go on it this weekend. You do have to really focus on your trigger pull, as the gun is so light. One you have that though, you are good. Anyhow, it's a great mountain/blown down rifle in my mind.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everyone can agree it's much more enjoyable to hike miles and miles with a lighter rifle rather than a heavy one. Plenty of people have proven these same rifles are more than capable at the moment of truth. Are the trade offs worth it to everyone nope of course not. Different hunt styles and budgets can dictate priorities. Just because you chose to do it one way doesn't mean the other options sucks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Everyone can agree it's much more enjoyable to hike miles and miles with a lighter rifle rather than a heavy one. Plenty of people have proven these same rifles are more than capable at the moment of truth. Are the trade offs worth it to everyone nope of course not. Different hunt styles and budgets can dictate priorities. Just because you chose to do it one way doesn't mean the other options sucks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agree totally.

16Bore

WKR
Everyone is special, deserves a trophy, and needs his/her hand held. Let me give you the universal answer to every thread about gear and crap on every forum.

"It depends"

The "best" is an illusion. What your best is, isn't mine. 9# rifle more accurate than a 6#? Bullshit. It depends. Sitka better than First Lite? It depends. 270 vs 6.5 CM? It depends.

Experience is everything and what ever "the best" is, won't mean diddly if it's the first rig a guy or gal picked up. Don't be fooled by group think, marketing, or hero wares. So many underlying reasons behind the why and very little applicable to every individual. People have an overwhelming need to belong. So a new hunter is scared to post on a website, yet is going to schlep a 50# pack miles into the middle of nowhere, take an animal, and haul it out solo? Please.

I'd argue that most "questions" have already been answered by the one asking, but he/she is more interested in validation for what they've already decided. The fear is not being in the "club"

Society has chicken-shitted a generation of non-thinkers and folks that believe they deserve to be at the head of the line. Lost is the art of work and self confidence. I've got more props for the fella that says "F-U, I like this one better" rather than spewing some technical mumbo jumbo that he's only seen on paper or read on the Internet.

I'll happily be the dog in a group of Alpha's in order to push myself. Hell, as gay as it is, a 50+ gal spanked my ass in an hour long spin class last week. I could calf raise her and the rack, but that wasn't applicable to the task at hand. You learn by ass whipping, not whipping ass.

Any of you that grew up with older / younger brothers know exactly what I'm saying.

16Bore

WKR
And a 308 Montana with LW's and a Leupold M8 6x42 M1 is the best rig out there.*

*depends, right?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Wow!! Somebody woke up cranky. If it's so horrible and boring and everyone asking a question is of a chicken shitted generation and everything has already been answered and such in the past why do you still even bother reading and posting on multiple forums per day?

I agree that simply saying something is "best" and leaving it at that does no one any favors. By and large most folks that answer questions usually say I like x brand and here is why and leave the OP to draw their own conclusions based on their needs and experience.

But I guess there will always be those that just like to feel superior to others and rag on others for trying to gather opinions from others experience. I will never have it dialed in nor close to it but enjoy learning how others are doing things even if it doesn't apply to me.

But thanks for your super insightful post above.

Brendan

WKR
It always depends. If it's not your thing - move on and quit bashing and trolling for no good reason. This thread has proved there's plenty of people who prefer a lightweight rifle and can be plenty accurate at the distances they hunt at, and it's the best rig out there for them.

Along the lines of cost - If you don't want to spend a ton of $$ - go back and check out some of Luke's posts. I bet with a little work you could very easily have a sub 7lb scoped rifle that'll shoot 3/4 MOA for under $1K. I went with the Adirondack because it was the easiest, I like the good glass of the Swaro when I'm trying to count legal points on a deer right at first light, and I was under the gun for time when I bought it. Don't regret it one bit either...