Kimber Adirondack the ultimate high country rifle?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Ruger American 308 compact....$350, Leupold 6x36 $300, $40 rings=$700 and 6.75 pounds.

16Bore

WKR
It always depends. If it's not your thing - move on and quit bashing and trolling for no good reason. This thread has proved there's plenty of people who prefer a lightweight rifle and can be plenty accurate at the distances they hunt at, and it's the best rig out there for them.

Along the lines of cost - If you don't want to spend a ton of $$ - go back and check out some of Luke's posts. I bet with a little work you could very easily have a sub 7lb scoped rifle that'll shoot 3/4 MOA for under $1K. I went with the Adirondack because it was the easiest, I like the good glass of the Swaro when I'm trying to count legal points on a deer right at first light, and I was under the gun for time when I bought it. Don't regret it one bit either...

Who said anything about something not being someone's "thing"? You just illustrated the point. You picked what you liked and ran. How they hell is that bashing?

And yes, it was super insightful.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Or the guy behind the curtain scared to have an opinion for fear of losing a sponsor.....

Haha have an example of this?

Obviously you haven't read anything I have reviewed. Not that I blame ya it's boring material and not nearly as fun as just making condesdending posts making it appear that you got it all figured out and any discussion is for the idiots, while still reading and posting.

You crack me up man.

OP
B
This thread was never about a budget, weight, or who's got better gear. It was about the 3 main requirements I laid out in the first post, and is the adirondack the ultimate rifle to fit the 3 requirements. Ultimate to me meant having no comprise. Is there a better choice for a rifle to meet my goals out there or not? That's what the discussion was...

Thanks to those that have provided insightful opinions. I am between buying a montana, trying it as is, then doing work to it if I want, or just going with the adirondack. Cost wise it looks to be about the same, maybe a little more to overhaul a montana, but you would have the ability to customize it as you see fit.

Stid2677

WKR
This thread was never about a budget, weight, or who's got better gear. It was about the 3 main requirements I laid out in the first post, and is the adirondack the ultimate rifle to fit the 3 requirements. Ultimate to me meant having no comprise. Is there a better choice for a rifle to meet my goals out there or not? That's what the discussion was...

Thanks to those that have provided insightful opinions. I am between buying a montana, trying it as is, then doing work to it if I want, or just going with the adirondack. Cost wise it looks to be about the same, maybe a little more to overhaul a montana, but you would have the ability to customize it as you see fit.

I'm away from my photos until Sunday night, but I will a photo of my Mountain Ascent and Adirondack side by side, the Adirondack is scaled down action, stock and of course the shorter barrel, not just a short barrel version of her big sister. That is why I like mine so much, plus makes a great rifle for a Lady or youth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Luke, I aim to please.....

OP - In my humble opinion (better, Luke?) I feel that every rifle is a concession in one way or another. It's a matter of what you're willing to give to get what you want. Cash, chambering, weight, barrel length, yadda, yadda. My very humble opinion is that the Adirondack had little reward for the added expense, which was my first post. However, you defined what your criteria is, Adirondack suits your wants, so rock on.

Humbly yours,

16 Bore

p.s. Luke, did you or did you not get (or already have) a 308 Montana? I should be rocking one here shortly. I promise that thread will be epic.

Stid2677

WKR
Here they are side by side.
1e7f2e06fa326f31418989166a65952d.jpg

16Bore

WKR
Humbly founded in personal experience and taste with a dash of salt.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke, I aim to please.....

OP - In my humble opinion (better, Luke?) I feel that every rifle is a concession in one way or another. It's a matter of what you're willing to give to get what you want. Cash, chambering, weight, barrel length, yadda, yadda. My very humble opinion is that the Adirondack had little reward for the added expense, which was my first post. However, you defined what your criteria is, Adirondack suits your wants, so rock on.

Humbly yours,

16 Bore

p.s. Luke, did you or did you not get (or already have) a 308 Montana? I should be rocking one here shortly. I promise that thread will be epic.

Haha nice!!! Yeah have had a Kimber 308 since 2010 my wife has had one since 2013 I believe. I hope you like it. They work for our needs anyways. I can just picture you gritty your teeth with a pained look on your face while you typed up that cordial reply ;)
L
So about that example of me hiding behind a curtain not saying anything scared to lose forum sponsors...if you really aim to please.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Granted they were preproduction and early production rifles, however from what I've seen the Barret Fieldcrafts are going to be the Mountain rifle to beat.

If one was to want the ultimate lightweight rifle with specific uses in mind:
- Shooting inside of 500 yards
- Chambered in a light recoil round
- Specifically used on high country backpack early season mule deer, and sheep/goat hunts
- Shorter thus making it easier to pack around

Is the Kimber Adirondack the best choice out there?

In the short action, you are 4" shorter and 5oz lighter than the Montana.

Understanding that I've sho, used and killed animals with quite a few Kimbers, and have a 6.5Creed Mountain Ascent on the way and noting what I said above-

the Barret Fieldcrafts are-

-Much more consistently accurate than the Kimbers and not near as finicky
-All of the chamberings that they offer are twisted and throated correctly for good bullets as well as mag box fitted for same
- They're 5lbs with great stocks and actions
- 21in barrels that are again, twisted and throated correctly.

For all all of those reasons, no I personally do not think the Adirondack nor any other Kimber is the best choice for your criteria.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Granted they were preproduction and early production rifles, however from what I've seen the Barret Fieldcrafts are going to be the Mountain rifle to beat.

Understanding that I've sho, used and killed animals with quite a few Kimbers, and have a 6.5Creed Mountain Ascent on the way and noting what I said above-

the Barret Fieldcrafts are-

-Much more consistently accurate than the Kimbers and not near as finicky
-All of the chamberings that they offer are twisted and throated correctly for good bullets as well as mag box fitted for same
- They're 5lbs with great stocks and actions
- 21in barrels that are again, twisted and throated correctly.

For all all of those reasons, no I personally do not think the Adirondack nor any other Kimber is the best choice for your criteria.

Well stated....a Barrett will likely be the next rifle I buy for the reasons listed.

16Bore

WKR
Haha nice!!! Yeah have had a Kimber 308 since 2010 my wife has had one since 2013 I believe. I hope you like it. They work for our needs anyways. I can just picture you gritty your teeth with a pained look on your face while you typed up that cordial reply ;)
L
So about that example of me hiding behind a curtain not saying anything scared to lose forum sponsors...if you really aim to please.

I think you chewed on me a tad and some gritty bow guy something or other crap. "Cheap gear builds character" can't quite recall it all.

Anyhoo....you fellas might be reading more into it than is being said. As in I've been way down the road of spending to the n'th degree, buy, buy, buy, reload, work up, tweak, skullphuck, over analyze, spend some more, buy some more, sell some more, build this, build that, oooh..here's a new blah blah, the holy grail is somewhere. Two things matter at the end of the day, not much and very little.

Perhaps my "angst" is when I see a newbie heading down the road I took to nowhere. Or when a young'un is more wrapped in image than the real. And I take that from my two work protégés who, without doubt, believe their generation is completely superficial and weak-minded.

It is what it is, "jerk" posts and all....

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Huh well don't remember that at all...apparently it stuck with you though and for that i apologize.

Also apologize for being s youngin wrapped up in the image than the real. ;)

Brendan

WKR
I'm away from my photos until Sunday night, but I will a photo of my Mountain Ascent and Adirondack side by side, the Adirondack is scaled down action, stock and of course the shorter barrel, not just a short barrel version of her big sister. That is why I like mine so much, plus makes a great rifle for a Lady or youth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just want to respond this. 84M Adirondack and 84M Mountain Ascent are identical stock and action sizes as far as I can tell. Pretty sure you're talking about a long action Mountain Ascent and short action Adirondack?

6e8a5d982238daeeee255f24bd68f116.jpg