Kimber Adirondack the ultimate high country rifle?

There is always talk about the Kimber Montana on here, but the Adirondack doesn't get brought up much. I used to lust over he mountain ascent, but it doesn't differentiate itself as much from the Montana.

If one was to want the ultimate lightweight rifle with specific uses in mind:
- Shooting inside of 500 yards
- Chambered in a light recoil round
- Specifically used on high country backpack early season mule deer, and sheep/goat hunts
- Shorter thus making it easier to pack around

Is the Kimber Adirondack the best choice out there?

In the short action, you are 4" shorter and 5oz lighter than the Montana.

Then I have the great caliber debate...7-08 or 6.5? I did consider the 308, but I already have a 7.5lb (scoped) .300WSM that I would carry if I needed the bigger caliber.

Stid2677

WKR
Adirondack in 6.5 CM, is what I used last year, great setup for all the reasons you mentioned.

P8220383_zpsbsomfiuz.jpg

P8150147_zpsj5r02q0u.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
OP
B
Are you sure about that?
Here is my Kimber Montana with steel warne bases on it already in fact:

4 pounds 6 oz ;)

That said I think the Adirondack is a great little rifle and much more appealing to me than the mountain ascent as I prefer short easy to handle rifles to 22-24" barrels.

If I were to start all over I'd pick up this one:
Kimber Adirondack 7mm-08 Rem. Rifle 3000767 for sale! - EuroOptic.com

I was just going off of the spec on the Kimber website...the Adirondack is listed at 4lb 13oz, the Montana in the same caliber is listed at 5lb 2oz.

Thanks for the link to that Adirondack, I am assuming its on sale since it the old forest pattern. I am not sure I will pull the trigger soon enough to buy that one, but appreciate it.

OP
B
8e3c641592b40894ede9f0057d32b811.jpg

Adirondack
Talley 20moa base
Nightforce ultralight rings
Vortex viper pst 6-24x50 FFP
Bedded
Muzzle brake

Mine is chambered in 308. I think it's the best round in terms of ammunition availability and ease of building good loads because of the wealth of information out in the world on it. Plus with the Adirondack 308 being a 1/10 twist you can lug 180+ grain pills at animals. Really puts some killing power in your pocket.

The .308 certainly has my attention, but truthfully, I just want to have either the 7-08 or the 6.5. All three of my hunting rifles right now are in 30 cal; a 30-06, a 300 win mag, and a 300WSM...so I just want something new.

OP
B
Thanks to all of the guys chiming in on the caliber suggestion. 7-08 seems like the way to go. I think if it were in a longer barrel rifle and I was setting it up for longer precision shots, the 6.5 would make sense, but 500 and in in the 18" barrel, I think the 7-08 will eventually get the nod.

Back to my original question as well. Is there any other production rifle that rivals the Adirondack for what I am looking for?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If you can stand the extra 1 pound the Ruger American stainless compact will save you quite a bit of money. 18" barrel.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Savage 11 or 16 LWH. Similar weight, 1/2 the price.....

Haha all depends on how far you wanna go with the weight savings. Same could be said about the savage LWH and the Ruger American compact
all weather similar weight but the savage lightweight hunter costs 35% more....Just depends on your priorities.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Don't let Luke fool you. That Montana of his has had more work done to it than Cher.

So true if I had to do it all over again I would just get a used Montana and drop it in a aftermarket stock and swap out the bolt handle and trigger guard and end up with a 4.25 pound rifle for the cost of a Kimber Mountain Ascent.

oldlogger

FNG
Just wondering why you guys see the need to put huge scopes on ultralight rifles seems to defeat the purpose to me, just my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk