talk me out of a savage LWH in .308 for my son...

Tod osier

WKR
My son is 9, going on 10. I want to get him a rifle that will handle a diversity of game from deer to moose. He is small for his age, and does not like recoil. He is a plenty good shot and shoots a fair bit. You can get a savage LWH for $500 in stainless. Stainless is important for me (maybe because I'm lazy). I would have him shoot reduced recoil loads unless he needed more (like drew a moose tag). I would cut the stock and add a great recoil pad. I'd think about 7mm-08, but I can not get one for that price. I'd buy a Tikka superlite otherwise, but price, weight, and short barrel is winning. I would add a brake, if needed.

Thoughts????

efnm

WKR
I say go for it. I am doing the same with *MY* LWH in 7mm-08. I called up Savage and had them send me the compact stock and a magazine frame part of some sort to move my rifle and magazine into the smaller stock. That way I can move it back as he grows or when I need to use it. The stock is a 12.5" LOP.

I plan to load up some H4895 loads if he draws.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
The 7-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor would be my only recommendation but I know you said you said you could only find a 308 for that price. Otherwise, I say go for it. They're nice rifles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Plus if you end up adding a brake you could've come out cheaper just buying a Creedmoor or 7-08

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
Whittaker guns has a tikka T3x compact in 308 for 489$ I just got one. 20" bbl, 12.5" lop and spacer to add additional 1" to stock for standard lop.
May have a 7-08 in that model as well?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Thanks guys, you pointed out a couple angles I hadn't thought of. The 6.5 creedmoor is available, but I'm not a reloader. I know that even the 7mm-08 can be pretty snappy in a light rifle without a good pad. The need for light weight is really driving this move and getting a rifle that he can tote around is a priority.

I'm going to call savage to see what the issues of swapping stocks out is. Savage SA stocks are pretty abundant for short money on ebay. Again, thanks, sale runs a bit longer, so I have some time.

I would say get him a Remington 700 ADL youth model in .243 from Walmart, or better yet, a 7mm-08. When he gets bigger you will be able to get him, an adult size stock. Also, plenty of Remington 700 stuff out there for customization.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
I would say get him a Remington 700 ADL youth model in .243 from Walmart, or better yet, a 7mm-08. When he gets bigger you will be able to get him, an adult size stock. Also, plenty of Remington 700 stuff out there for customization.

Just to update.... I have the LWH in .308 and am starting accumulating stuff to start reloading to be able to load up reduced loads. I bought a bunch of Hornady Custom Lite in the meantime. I have not had it to the range yet - B-day present in May for him, so I have some time there. Want to make sure it shoots before I cut the stock.