Going light on the cheap: Savage 16 LWH Review

I don't post much, if at all, this may even be my first post but I've been following this thread as I just bought the 116 in 300 WM for elk. Does this Savage LWH of yours have the Accustock? Maybe bed the recoil lug, see if your scope rings completely wrap the scope in a tight circular fashion (use a Dowl and sand)? Do you reload? If so, why not reload the blue box to find what grains the combo likes? I can feel your frustration from behind my phone lol. Keep shooting, barrel and throat may still need to break in. I read all the light weight rifle shooting articles. Good stuff. Keep us posted and good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't post much, if at all, this may even be my first post but I've been following this thread as I just bought the 116 in 300 WM for elk. Does this Savage LWH of yours have the Accustock? Maybe bed the recoil lug, see if your scope rings completely wrap the scope in a tight circular fashion (use a Dowl and sand)? Do you reload? If so, why not reload the blue box to find what grains the combo likes? I can feel your frustration from behind my phone lol. Keep shooting, barrel and throat may still need to break in. I read all the light weight rifle shooting articles. Good stuff. Keep us posted and good luck!!

I have a lwh, and they do not have the accustock.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JDZ

WKR
Does this Savage LWH of yours have the Accustock? Maybe bed the recoil lug, see if your scope rings completely wrap the scope in a tight circular fashion (use a Dowl and sand)? Do you reload?

LWH does not have the Accustock. The stock it does have leaves a lot to be desired. Can the synthetic stock even be bedded?

I'm using Burris signature rings for now, so they should self align.

I don't reload, and I don't think SEtoNW does either. I was hoping to find a bonded bullet that shoots well.

LWH does not have the Accustock. The stock it does have leaves a lot to be desired. Can the synthetic stock even be bedded?

I'm using Burris signature rings for now, so they should self align.

I don't reload, and I don't think SEtoNW does either. I was hoping to find a bonded bullet that shoots well.

I'm not sure what the stock looks like for where the pillars sit but it might be worthwhile to see if the forearm touches any part of the barrel by running a piece of paper down? Could be possible to pillar bed by Dremel tool and then filling. Maybe the forearm of the stock is flexing and throwing the shot off a little depending on your grip and pressure points. Could fill it with epoxy after you dremel away pressure points but that defeats the lightweight purpose.

Should be able to research a bullet that flies out of that .308, it's an extremely popular caliber.

JDZ

WKR
I'm not sure what the stock looks like for where the pillars sit but it might be worthwhile to see if the forearm touches any part of the barrel by running a piece of paper down? Could be possible to pillar bed by Dremel tool and then filling. Maybe the forearm of the stock is flexing and throwing the shot off a little depending on your grip and pressure points. Could fill it with epoxy after you dremel away pressure points but that defeats the lightweight purpose.

Should be able to research a bullet that flies out of that .308, it's an extremely popular caliber.

Barrel is free floated with a bunch of clearance. One could flex the stock enough to make it touch, but it would take a lot of force.

I also would think a good flying bullet would be common knowledge by now.

I've gotta post my findings on here as I'm flabbergasted.

Picked up a Savage LWH 116 in .270 while Cabelas was having a sale thinking "ah, it'll be a great backup". Threw a cheap Nikon Buckmaster II i had laying around on it and Game Reaper mount. Picked up a box of Swift's "High Grade" in 130gr... it was on sale at the Sportsmans Warehouse and I figured it would be a good break in. This was shot 6,7 and 8 out of the gun.
EZy0W8j.jpg

Blown away.

I normally load my own, I'm hoping Swift will share their recipe!

JDZ

WKR
Without turning this into a barrel-seasoning debate, I'm curious how others are breaking in their stainless barrels. I used powder solvent, brush, 2 dry patches, copper remover, brush, 2 dry patches, oil. Did that after every round for the first 10, then after every 3 for the next 15, then after every 5 for the next 25.

Sounds like some of you just took it out and started banging away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
Without turning this into a barrel-seasoning debate, I'm curious how others are breaking in their stainless barrels. I used powder solvent, brush, 2 dry patches, copper remover, brush, 2 dry patches, oil. Did that after every round for the first 10, then after every 3 for the next 15, then after every 5 for the next 25.

I shot 10 slow rounds with a Hoppes #9 patch followed by a dry after each shot, then just started 'banging away'
Averages around 1½" 5 shot groups & that's more than good enough for me! I'll never take a shot beyond 300 anyway.

I haven't had a single gun need a break in yet. In fact, one of my best shooters, a Tikka T3 hunter in .260, printed a sub 1/4 moa group today and never had a break in done. It just shoots. I guess if I hit a wall with a rifle and couldn't get it to shoot I'd give it a shot, but that has yet to happen!

brushape

WKR
Looks like I made the right move by getting the 6.5 creedmore.... now if it would ever come in stock and ship out!

I've gotta post my findings on here as I'm flabbergasted.

Picked up a Savage LWH 116 in .270 while Cabelas was having a sale thinking "ah, it'll be a great backup". Threw a cheap Nikon Buckmaster II i had laying around on it and Game Reaper mount. Picked up a box of Swift's "High Grade" in 130gr... it was on sale at the Sportsmans Warehouse and I figured it would be a good break in. This was shot 6,7 and 8 out of the gun.
EZy0W8j.jpg

Blown away.

I normally load my own, I'm hoping Swift will share their recipe!
Almost identical grouping
abe56564f1cadd759ded53b7f518c8a4.jpg
with my LWH in 6.5cm...

JDZ

WKR
Might have found ammo.

b76809202d3225e680937e9f2815dcff.jpg

Federal Gold Medal Sierra Match King 175 gr BTHP.

Would you hunt with that bullet? Non bonded?

Might have found ammo.

b76809202d3225e680937e9f2815dcff.jpg

Federal Gold Medal Sierra Match King 175 gr BTHP.

Would you hunt with that bullet? Non bonded?
Is this the first 175 you have tried? You could play with the gameking... similar bullet more purpose built for hunting.

Dont have any matching experience hunting, but i imagine deer would be ok?

JDZ

WKR
First round I've tried heavier than 165. Will look into the Game King. Also looking at solid copper bullets maybe.

First round I've tried heavier than 165. Will look into the Game King. Also looking at solid copper bullets maybe.

Betting it may just like the heavy for caliber bullets better... ide play with a couple brands/bullets. Some Accubonds ttsxs etc

I picked one up in 6.5. Not my first choice, but the sale and all. Ended up being $400...so I can't complain. I had a huge list of to-dos for it. Then I found out my wife is pregnant again.....so......no more rifle project. Been sitting on my bench In pieces for a few weeks now. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. It was part of a larger gear revamp......which has come to an abrupt halt...lol.

Hit the range today... 6.5 with the 130 vld hunters still is impressing me... interesting seeing the next 3 shot group with 127 lrx... the lwh seems to be pretty picky on the load.
1cadbd08d0dcc563496e7c6aed4ffb03.jpg
730d37da5eab7bbd7c306293ce2a849c.jpg