Going light on the cheap: Savage 16 LWH Review

JDZ

WKR
What rings are those, SEtoNW? DNZ? What height? I like how low they look with the 40 mm glass.

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
JDZ,

Yep, those are the DNZ Gamereaper low mounts. Seems just about right for that rifle and scope combo.

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Also an update on progress (or lack thereof):
I took the LWH out again this past weekend and shot it quite a bit. I'm still struggling to get the little bugger to shoot how I'm hoping it would/will. I tried a bunch of different loads and got a lot of inconsistency. I got a few groups right around 2", but still nothing much below that. However there were several much larger groups mixed in including some that were 4"+.

Most of the groups were extremely variable even with the same ammo. Very frustrating... and humbling. I'm pretty confident that the variability was more me than the equipment. I've been shooting and hunting for a long time (25+ years) and I'm usually confident that I can get a rifle to shoot close to its potential... but this rifle doesn't feel like I've gotten it to that point yet.

To reduce possible sources of error, I rechecked stock action screws, and scope mounts and they were all tight and to spec. Before I ever shot the thing, I marked the scope with a pencil to watch for any movement and it hasn't moved a millimeter. I cleaned the bore before this shooting session, and twice during.

My shooting conditions were pretty crappy again, and that played a role for sure. Gusty winds were occasionally strong enough to physically move me and the rifle slightly while shooting. Plus it was COLD and I struggled to keep my hands from going/staying numb.

As it sits now, I'm going to look at this rifle as a challenge, and a tool to hopefully improve my shooting in general. If I can get it to the point where I can get consistent sub-2 moa groups then I will hunt with it. If not, I want to at least see it shoot consistently badly...if that makes sense. Then I can at least write it off, without reservations.

I have a feeling the rifle is capable of 1.5 moa, and I need to up my game with a lightweight rifle. I’ve been doing research on different techniques to shoot light rifles well and I added a good article I found at the end of this post, if anyone else is interested. I am hopeful that if I practice, I’ll get it dialed. But it may turn out to be more trouble than it is worth. If I am inconsistent with it then I won’t be comfortable with it in the field, and definitely will not take a shot at an animal with it.

Then again, maybe this rifle is a lemon... I can get my Tikka to shoot consistently <1 moa and it only outweighs the LWH by a little over a pound.

Still some more experimenting to do. I am not ready to totally write it off...yet.

American Rifleman | How to Shoot Light Rifles

Also an update on progress (or lack thereof):
I took the LWH out again this past weekend and shot it quite a bit. I'm still struggling to get the little bugger to shoot how I'm hoping it would/will. I tried a bunch of different loads and got a lot of inconsistency. I got a few groups right around 2", but still nothing much below that. However there were several much larger groups mixed in including some that were 4"+.

Most of the groups were extremely variable even with the same ammo. Very frustrating... and humbling. I'm pretty confident that the variability was more me than the equipment. I've been shooting and hunting for a long time (25+ years) and I'm usually confident that I can get a rifle to shoot close to its potential... but this rifle doesn't feel like I've gotten it to that point yet.

To reduce possible sources of error, I rechecked stock action screws, and scope mounts and they were all tight and to spec. Before I ever shot the thing, I marked the scope with a pencil to watch for any movement and it hasn't moved a millimeter. I cleaned the bore before this shooting session, and twice during.

My shooting conditions were pretty crappy again, and that played a role for sure. Gusty winds were occasionally strong enough to physically move me and the rifle slightly while shooting. Plus it was COLD and I struggled to keep my hands from going/staying numb.

As it sits now, I'm going to look at this rifle as a challenge, and a tool to hopefully improve my shooting in general. If I can get it to the point where I can get consistent sub-2 moa groups then I will hunt with it. If not, I want to at least see it shoot consistently badly...if that makes sense. Then I can at least write it off, without reservations.

I have a feeling the rifle is capable of 1.5 moa, and I need to up my game with a lightweight rifle. I’ve been doing research on different techniques to shoot light rifles well and I added a good article I found at the end of this post, if anyone else is interested. I am hopeful that if I practice, I’ll get it dialed. But it may turn out to be more trouble than it is worth. If I am inconsistent with it then I won’t be comfortable with it in the field, and definitely will not take a shot at an animal with it.

Then again, maybe this rifle is a lemon... I can get my Tikka to shoot consistently <1 moa and it only outweighs the LWH by a little over a pound.

Still some more experimenting to do. I am not ready to totally write it off...yet.

American Rifleman | How to Shoot Light Rifles
Are you using a proven scope? I don't feel like im all that as a shooter, but i feel like i would have to try pretty hard to shoot much larger then 1.5 with my LWH... i did notice it was pretty load dependant... try shooting some heavy for caliber (130-140s for 6.5) bullets. I noticed a small cheek pad, and very light cheek pressure helped. Sorry to hear its wrestling with you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

efnm

WKR
And with a barrel that thin, I had to let mine cool a lot (10 minutes) between shots to make sure my 3 shot groups gave me decent statistics for each load.

mcseal2

WKR
Might give one of the Simms barrel de-resonators or whatever they call them a shot. The black rubber looking things that slide over the barrel made of the same stuff as the Limbsaver pads. I've heard they can help light rifles to shoot to their potential, and I had one on a lightweight 20" 223 for a while that seemed to help just a bit. It's a small investment if it works. I think the further toward the muzzle you put it the better it works, but I put mine close to the stock just so it didn't get in the way.

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

JDZ

WKR
I just got done seasoning the barrel of my 16 Lightweight Hunter in .308. So far, I've shot the federal blue box 150 gr around 1 inch with one group as small as 1/2 inch. Everything else has been 2-inch or worse.
Federal Fusion 150
Hornady Custom 150 SST
Hornady Superformance 150
Nosler Trophy Grade 165 Accubond

Savage says they use Federal 168 Sierra Match King HPBT. Might try them, but I'm not sure about hunting with that bullet.

Ran across this and I'm trying it: http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

husky390

WKR
I just got done seasoning the barrel of my 16 Lightweight Hunter in .308. So far, I've shot the federal blue box 150 gr around 1 inch with one group as small as 1/2 inch. Everything else has been 2-inch or worse.
Federal Fusion 150
Hornady Custom 150 SST

Savage says they use Federal 168 Sierra Match King HPBT. Might try them, but I'm not sure about hunting with that bullet.

Ran across this and I'm trying it: http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Shameless plug for Barnes Vortex .308 in 150 or 168gr. They shoot great in my .308's.

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
How many rounds per group?

Federal Fusion 150
Hornady Custom 150 SST

JDZ

WKR
How many rounds per group?

Some 3, some 5.

Basically, if I shot 3 and they were just sprayed all over, I quit. If I shot 3 and two were near each other, I shot 2 more to see if I could make a group of 3. I'm not ready to claim it still isn't me, because I'm no bench rest competitor. But the blue boxes keep landing closer than any of the others.

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent, thanks for the info, JDZ.

That's what I've done in the past, too; no point in shooting 10 if the first 3 are absolute garbage.

Some 3, some 5.

Basically, if I shot 3 and they were just sprayed all over, I quit. If I shot 3 and two were near each other, I shot 2 more to see if I could make a group of 3. I'm not ready to claim it still isn't me, because I'm no bench rest competitor. But the blue boxes keep landing closer than any of the others.

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone, thanks again for ideas and experiences.

JDZ, your experience is almost identical to mine. The little bugger (as I've started calling it) really does shoot the cheapo federal blue box well. I shot quite a bit again this weekend and my experience was better than last time. Things are starting to come together and show consistency. Plus, I tried some different techniques that seemed to improve things a little bit. I was able to get a 4 shot group with the 150 gr. fed blue box that was one ragged hole. Pretty cool, but not my 1st choice in a hunting bullet and load. I'm going to keep working with it... And I'll update here as I do.

Husky, I've been shooting the Barnes TTSX 150 gr. and they shoot pretty well, consistently at or just under 2". Probably in tie for 2nd place ( for loads my rifle likes best).

Here is the federal 150 group. Sorry for the messy target but the group at the upper L of the bull is 4 consecutive shots.

View attachment 48435

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having trouble seeing your attachment. Is this an issue on my end of things? It just says something like "invalid attachment."

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Rorschach,

When I click the link it works for me... but that doesn't mean much since I posted it. I'm new here so, I may be posting pictures wrong. Can anyone else see the picture attached to my last posts? Any advice for how to post pictures correctly?

JDZ

WKR
I can't see it. Is it on your computer or is it on a site like photo bucket?

JDZ

WKR
Spent another good while at the range in good weather conditions with my .308, yesterday. I really was working on my breathing and trigger squeeze. I had the Nosler Trophy Grade 165 gr Accubond shooting 1.5 MOA, but with one flier in any 5-shot group. Federal Fusion 150 gr were about the same. A guy at the range gave me three Federal Gold Medal 168 gr Sierra Match King HPBT, which is what the book says Savage uses. I proceeded to shoot them in a 2.25 MOA triangle. Crap. Hornady Custom and Superformance, both in 150 gr SST, each shot over 3 MOA. I thought Savage said the twist on this is 1:11, but I cannot verify that on Savage's website. Why they wouldn't have the spec on there is beyond me. But, I thought I might be able to try some heavier bullets, so I bought some Gold Medal 175 gr HPBT, that i will try next.

Last edited:

JDZ

WKR
And, just to be sure, I swapped out to a scope I know is good, that also goes up to 16x. Hopefully, I can aim a little smaller and eliminate a variable.