Going light on the cheap: Savage 16 LWH Review

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All, I’m brand new as a contributor Rokslide forums but I’ve been using RS as a resource for quite a while, so I guess you could say I have left the realm of the lurkers.

I have been researching the world of lightweight big game rifles for the last year or so. My goal was to get an accurate, inexpensive, and light set up. I recently dove in and made a few purchases… A savage 16 lightweight hunter in .308, Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40, and a DNZ Gamereaper mount. I haven’t found a huge amount of info on the Savage 16 LWH so I figured I’d share my experience. I thought it might interest some folks and hopefully be a good resource for others in the future.

In my search for a light, compact rifle, I looked at a bunch of options… including Tikka (I have a T3 lite and I love it, but you/I can never have too many rifles), Rem 700 SS Mountain rifle, Kimber Hunter, Montana and others, Winchester 70 featherweight, Howa Alpine, and some others. I was very seriously considering a “semi-custom” option of buying a cheap 700 SS ADL, dropping it into light stock, and having the barrel cut down to 20”. I abandoned that idea after I did the math, and I’d be into it for more than $1k, or much more depending on the stock, and I would probably end up with a rifle that weighed well over 6lbs. Also, I have seen some pretty poor manufacturing and quality control in the newer Remington products, and heard some real horror stories.

The savage 16 LWH offered a nice balance of everything I was looking for. Light, inexpensive, and savage has a good reputation for accuracy. I live and hunt primarily in Oregon so stainless and synthetic were a must also. It just met all my criteria so well that when I found one on sale recently at one of the big outdoor stores I couldn’t pass it up. With the sale, and some other promo deals they had going, I got the rifle, scope, and mounts for under $700.

So now that I have the rifle, I must say overall I’m impressed. First though, the things that aren’t perfect. The stock is questionable. With fairly light pressure the fore end visibly moves around the barrel. However, the barrel channel is wide and I don’t anticipate it creating problems, but it sure is flimsy. The detachable magazine is difficult to get to lock into place and unlock. Plus the locking mechanism is all molded plastic, so durability may be an issue. Once the mag is fitted though, it is snug and stable. When you shake the rifle, even with the mag in, it is silent, and fit appears good all around. There are visible gaps between the barreled action, and the stock. These loose tolerances probably allow savage to get away with some things in manufacturing and still bolt together a good functioning rifle, but it does not look fancy or refined. Or expensive, which it isn’t. In my opinion though, it is a good looking rifle in a “function over form” kind of way.

The trigger out of the box was not great. In fact, I was worried. It was heavy and had a bit of creep beyond disengaging the accutrigger lever. I took a chance knowing it was easily adjustable. I was actually really surprised how much it improved when I removed the stock and turned the accutrigger spring down to its lowest setting. I would now call the trigger very good. Crisp and light enough to make me very happy. Give Savage credit for having a product (the accutrigger) that works as advertised. The bolt, on the other hand, is rougher than I would like. It is fluted for “weight reduction” and more probably to look cool. I’m sure it does shed an ounce or maybe 2. However, you can feel the flutes as the bolt cycles through the receiver. All the savages I have shot have had somewhat rough cycling, but this one is the worst. It is light years behind a tikka's buttery smooth action. With all that complaining though, I don’t think it will affect function at all. I can throw the rifle up to my shoulder and cycle the bolt hard and fast without a problem.

On to the good stuff. It is very light. 5lbs 9.25oz. This is actually lighter than savages advertised weight of 5.65 lbs. By my calculation, 5.58 lbs. Perhaps because I got the largest available caliber there is less metal left in the barrel? Anyway I'm not complaining. Scope is a hair under 14oz, and mount is 3oz. Total weight 6lbs 10oz.

As I said earlier, trigger is very good, but it required adjustment. Overall, the rifle just feels good to me. Points naturally and balances well. Also, has a nice soft recoil pad from the factory (take note Tikka!)

With the scope mounted, I took it out to shoot. Unfortunately, conditions were tough. Snow and wind, but temps were comfortable in the mid 30s.

The rifle is was very comfortable to shoot. Recoil was actually less than I anticipated. It gives you a sharp thump, but with the soft pad and good positioning it was really a pleasure to shoot. I plan to shoot this rifle quite a bit.

It chambered rounds from the magazine easily and ejected well even though the bolt is rough, like I mentioned. There were no hiccups at all with feeding and ejection, although it does like being run forcefully, rather than being babied.

Today I shot it with 3 types of ammo: federal 150 gr power shock soft points, 150 gr barnes ttsx, and 165 gr federal trophy bonded tip.

I have to give credit to the dnz mounts, which made mounting and sighting in very easy. I was on paper immediately with no scope adjustment (all I did was bolt on the scope, look down the bore, see it was aligned with the scope, and start shooting).

Groups were ok but not awesome. My best came from the cheap federal soft points. A little less than 2" at 120 yards (where I was shooting it isn't really possible to set up at exactly 100yds). The Barnes ammo grouped almost identically, just a hair larger, right at 2". The federal TBT was pretty awful at about 3.5-4". In general, I know this rifle is capable of better, mostly because I know I could improve my shooting and conditions were a little rough. I'll be doing more shooting with the Barnes and some other types of ammo. Plus, I'm optimistic the rifle will improve as the barrel gets broken in.

I will likely be taking this rifle out for elk and deer this fall. I'm sure it will do the job well for me, considering I will be on foot, in fairly steep country, and hunting areas where shots are generally short (>300 yards would be very rare).

Here are a few photos of the experience so far. I will post updates as I continue to shoot and experiment.
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0006.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0008.jpgIMG_0010.jpg

efnm

WKR
Great review. I got mine dialed in with handloads (7mm08 though) and I strongly suggest you order a replacement trigger guard now as I broke mine when reassembling early on due to a bolt tightening it down in a way that stressed the plastic. I ordered both a replacement metal and plastic trigger guard. I also bought a compact stock and magazine holder from savage to use when my boy needs to hunt. This platform makes a nice lightweight 20" youth rifle with a 12.5" LOP.

husky390

WKR
Nice write up. If you're still unhappy with the trigger, give a Timney a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 6.5 LWH....actually had a great experience with the trigger. I had similar mag stiffness, but a couple swipes with a file fixed that.

Handloads and it's sub MOA all day - usually more around .5 MOA. There is a learning curve that you have to get on with to shoot lightweight rifles well... less cheek pressure, different shoulder pressure etc.

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback and info everyone. I definitely do need to improve my shooting skills, especially with a rifle this light. I am currently happy with the trigger, but it wasn't great until it was adjusted. I'm sure a Timney would improve things quite a bit, but for now I'll work with it as is. Mods may come in the future...

Unfortunately, I am not a handloader (yet), which is one of the big reasons I chose the .308. There are just so many commercially loaded options. Otherwise, I would have very likely picked up the 7mm/08 or 6.5c.

Anyone have any factory .308 ammo suggestions that have shot well in a savage? Especially a LWH?

husky390

WKR
The el cheapo Federal Blue Box has shot lights out in all of my .30 cal Savage rifles.

I shoot the Barnes Vortex out of my lightweight Ruger .308 Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of my savages have shot Barnes factory great... don't have a .308, but in my family, 2 06, 1 6.5 CM and a 7-08

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bear Hunter and was amazed when I took the bolt apart to put on a different handle how much smoother it was and with the oversized bolt handle is was very easy to work the action especially with that monster of a NSX scope I have on it. It took maybe 5 minutes to swap out and the bolt handle I bought was like $55.00. There are videos on youtube showing you how and I would strongly recommend that upgrade.

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Bolt handle swap sounds interesting... brushape do you have a link or specific product info for the carbon fiber bolt knob? 4oz for $60 sounds pretty appealing.

JWP, I was a little hesitant on the diamondback but time will tell. So far the diamondback seems like a good scope, for the money. I got it on sale for $140. I like vortex's bdc reticle. It is clean and simple. I compared it side to side with a diamondback hp, and and leupold vx1. HP is "crisper" but significantly heavier and more expensive. Vx1 is MAYBE a little brighter and sharper but I really struggled to notice a difference, and it might be my imagination. Vx1 is slightly lighter (~2oz) and about $100 more.

My biggest issue with the DB I bought is eye relief. You need to be pretty close, and initially I was worried that it would be a problem in the light rifle. It was not an issue shooting though. The edges of the FOV look a slightly less sharp than the center. Also, no parallax adjustment, which I don't care about in a rifle like this one. The scope performed well shooting, and conditions weren't great... lots of wet snow and fading/varying light. Adjustments were consistent and seemed accurate (1/4 moa per click). Adjustment knobs were a little "mushy". Not a really defined "click" but good enough for me.

I think it will perform its intended job well. It definitely is not a high end, top quality glass, optic. But it is also anywhere from 1/4 to 1/10 of the price, or less. Seems like what it is, an inexpensive scope from a quality manufacturer. If it is consistent and durable I'll be really happy.