Factory loads ?

Bwana

WKR
Any solid recommendations in factory loads for 6mm variants ?...I know 140's are the favorites of the 1000 yd guys, I was hoping to stay 120-130 grain.

Any solid recommendations in factory loads for 6mm variants ?...I know 140's are the favorites of the 1000 yd guys, I was hoping to stay 120-130 grain.

I'm going to have to go out on a limb and guess that you meant 6.5mm variants, correct? I did not know there are 140 grain 6mm bullets available. In fact, the heaviest grain 6mm bullet I could find was 115 grain.

With that being said, I would model the 6.5 Creedmor loads (at 140 grains) that you can pick up with Prime Ammunition or even Hornady. Matching the Hornady 6.5 Creedmor load is pretty easy, its about 41.5 grains of H4350. As for anything around the 120 grain level, I would switch to Varget. Just try to stick to the double based powders.

Hope this helps.

OP
Bwana

Bwana

WKR
I'm going to have to go out on a limb and guess that you meant 6.5mm variants, correct? I did not know there are 140 grain 6mm bullets available. In fact, the heaviest grain 6mm bullet I could find was 115 grain.

With that being said, I would model the 6.5 Creedmor loads (at 140 grains) that you can pick up with Prime Ammunition or even Hornady. Matching the Hornady 6.5 Creedmor load is pretty easy, its about 41.5 grains of H4350. As for anything around the 120 grain level, I would switch to Varget. Just try to stick to the double based powders.

Hope this helps.

Yes NevadaZ, 6.5 variants...fingers were faster than my brain. Reviews are good on the Prime & Copper Creek, but still deciding on bullet.

OP
Bwana

Bwana

WKR
Hunting deer, varmints, light bench work, and any zombies that might cross my path inside the wall :)

400-500yds max

FURMAN

WKR
This probably won't help you much due to timing but I just bought a Christensen Mesa to review. I will be running some factory ammo through it before I start reloading. Most of it is 140 but I may order some Copper Creek lighter stuff to review it as well.

GKPrice

Banned
I still haven't had a chance to do any more load work with the Hunter 6.5 CM but my initial trial was the Hornady factory 143 ELD x, didn't shoot worth beans, tried some handloads with 130 accubonds that were promising - went home to load some more 130's and seated 4 - 143 factories deeper, I didn't get technical but just "deeper" and they shot noticeably better, not MOA but better - In the Hunter my intuition says the 120 - 130 class will shoot better

You know, with the ranges that the OP is talking about, I would recommend the heavier bullet. As compromise, I would recommend the Berger Classic Hunter at 135grains. Then run H4350 powder and probably get some really good accuracy. The bullet ogive is not super VLD like and thus you would not need any special seating collets like you would with the VLD's. Then you get good reliable feeding and easier to load to the lands. With secant ogives, getting the jump right can be a bitch with a LOT of load development.

Good luck!!

OP
Bwana

Bwana

WKR
GKP: I agree the reviews/reports on the Hornady ammo is bad, they say the pressures vary a lot, along with muzzle velocities. I compared the Hornady to the Federal Nosler in my 700 30-06, and the Federals were much better groups at 200 yds. But the Federal reviews I've been reading aren't good either, but as NevadaZ said the Primes are rated very good along with Copper Creek and Barnes Vortex...I'll have to buy a crap lot of ammo up and see. I'm hoping the 120/130 grain work for me, if I was hunting something larger I'd go with 140's.

NevadaZ: I certainly have a bunch more options if reloading, I just don't have the time...it's impossible this year. I have a full reload room, but the load development is a killer for me right now. I just got a new semi-custom rifle and will never shoot it if I wait till I "have time" to go thru a load work up for it :) It will serve me better in the end to load my own, and own the cartridge with pride and confidence...but that isn't happening with 8 months to hunting season.

Sometimes life takes over, and we have no choice but to follow along like cattle to the slaughter...count your blessings if it's not your turn yet.

FURMAN

WKR
I would argue that it will take no longer to develop a load than to prove a factory load is good to 1000 yds. Unless you get lucky on the first factory ammo you try. It wouldn't take long to run a ladder at 1000yds. It will show you real quick what will work. I have seen the Precision Hunter ammo shoot pretty well in some guns. I am not impressed with the extreme spreads of the cartridges. I have a box of Atomic ammo that has very low extreme spreads in cartridge weight. Only time will tell if that translates to good groups. I will be trying the Copper Creek. I should be able to shoot the weekend. I will give an initial report.

elkguide

WKR
I just love the thrill of finding that perfect load and yes, it takes time. I split my time up and prime brass one night, charge and add bullets another night and then go to the range another day. I spend less time that way than I do buying a gazillion boxes of different ammo and then testing it.

4ester

WKR
I have been using the OCW Method to find my loads now. Has reduced the number of rounds needed significantly. Two trips to the range on my last gun, but still need to prove it at distance.

If you find some factory loads that shoot the heavier Bergers, that's what I would try first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

140's are favorites due to terminal ballistics as well. Buy one box of Hornady 140gr AMAX/ELD-M Match, one box of 143gr ELD-X Precision Hunter and one box of 147gr ELD-M Match, and shoot them and pick whichever makes you happy. If your gun doesn't shoot one of them (all of them) well, get a new gun.

OP
Bwana

Bwana

WKR
Looks like I'll have to take a solid look at 140 options, that keep coming up as the choice...I'm going to order 6-8 boxes and run them thru the paces, something will have to come to the top.