Eld-x bullets... not impressed

Gr8bawana

WKR
The info gathered from the OP in post #12 is that the animal that ran the farthest was a Tahr that ran 75 yards. I guess if the animals don't flop over dead instantly the results are unacceptable.

Wyatt G

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 200 gr eld-x in a 300 wm, they were very accurate but poor performance. I shot a 230lb whitetail at about 200 yards behind the shoulder , bullet was found caught in the hide in the neck. He went about five yeards and was down in 10 seconds. Entrance wound was about 6x2 inches and i lost the whole shoulder even though i hit behind it, due to bloodshot. didn't get a chance to weigh the bullet but it shed quite a bit of weight (as to be expected).
IMG_4010.jpgIMG_4009.jpg

16Bore

WKR
That sucks, can't believe it actually died. What "should" performance look like?

JWP58

WKR
I used a 200 gr eld-x in a 300 wm, they were very accurate but poor performance. I shot a 230lb whitetail at about 200 yards behind the shoulder , bullet was found caught in the hide in the neck. He went about five yeards and was down in 10 seconds. Entrance wound was about 6x2 inches and i lost the whole shoulder even though i hit behind it, due to bloodshot. didn't get a chance to weigh the bullet but it shed quite a bit of weight (as to be expected).
View attachment 47466View attachment 47465

I thought that was expected when a whitetail is shot with a belted magnum. No? Per hornady that load is carrying over 2900lb ft of energy at 200yds.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I'd predict that the "frangible vs. bonded core/monolithic" will be debated over fires and stoves for decades to come

Ya, except if you read most of the replies........nobody is debating that at all. It appears people are in a short-sighted "killed it" or "didn't kill it" mindset as their debate.......regardless of what the bullet actually did. They might as well be debating using a field point (which will eventually kill with a hit through the vitals) versus a broadhead. The bullet could have tumbled to the animal and killed it and they'd be saying "great bullet performance".

16Bore

WKR
If it's not DRT and there's no selfie over a vast landscape in matching camo and shaved balls, it didn't happen.

JWP58

WKR
Ya, except if you read most of the replies........nobody is debating that at all. It appears people are in a short-sighted "killed it" or "didn't kill it" mindset as their debate.......regardless of what the bullet actually did.

Short sighted? I guess being short sighted wouldn't be a problem for me if terrible bullet performance resulted in a 30 for 30 dead animal to shot ratio, with all of them dying within 100yds.

I guess if drt results are essential, hit the cns.

Hell, thank God all mighty this poor fella wasn't shooting one of those 30 page "inaccurate t3' or Montana's" while utilizing such shitty bullets....he might have still killed 30 animals.

Sorry op, I appreciate the information you provided, and feel that your real world experience is good info. Even for the short sighted.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Short sighted? I guess being short sighted wouldn't be a problem for me if terrible bullet performance resulted in a 30 for 30 dead animal to shot ratio, with all of them dying within 100yds.

The debate never was about whether the animals died. Maybe I missed that somewhere?????

I liken this to the debate over a BH that killed the animal but the blades sheared off on entrance. Great performance right? I mean the animal died so it performed as designed.....correct? See what I'm saying?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The debate never was about whether the animals died. Maybe I missed that somewhere?????

I liken this to the debate over a BH that killed the animal but the blades sheared off on entrance. Great performance right? I mean the animal died so it performed as designed.....correct? See what I'm saying?

That is a false equivalent.

Some are just saying, me included, that the OP's described bullet performance sounds pretty good to them.

IMO, shot placement is still the number one factor in terminal performance of any bullet, and the OP seems to have a positive opinion of the ELD-X's accuracy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That is a false equivalent.

Some are just saying, me included, that the OP's described bullet performance sounds pretty good to them.

IMO it is an exact equivalent to what's being argued here. One says the bullet had great performance because it killed the animal and another says the bullet coming apart isn't acceptable to them. Same for the BH example. Different strokes for different folks I guess. This is the exact reason why we have so many bullet choices to choose from, because everybody has different expectations......even though they all kill animals.

Rorschach

Lil-Rokslider
Haha lots of chips on shoulders in this forum. Lulz!

The thing I pick up on from OP's posts are that the lack of pass through is part of what was concerning. I get that - don't most/all of you? Bullet pass-through and a decent-sized exit wound make for a better blood trail, generally, correct? Where I hunt, sometimes if the animal runs 15yrds and there's no blood trail...good luck finding them.

With current technology (and any foreseeable/conceivable technology that wouldn't ruin an undue amount of meat in the process), a shot in the thoracic just isn't going to guarantee that the animal goes down within X yards. So as far as being disappointed in how far the animal runs after shot, within a 'reasonable' degree (<150yds? <100yds?), I can't agree that the bullet performed poorly. However, from the perspective pass-through; totally understandable.

I'd think that if DRT performance was absolutely critical (e.g., when animal is 25yds from a 50ft drop, etc.), then maybe one should forego losing a little meat and go for the neck, perhaps (?).

Are the .30 caliber bullets in the 300wm most likely meant for optimal terminal performance at 308 velocities?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
IMO it is an exact equivalent to what's being argued here.

A better equivalent would have been if the broad head had been used around 30 times at varying ranges, resulting in 100 percent one-arrow recoveries, and it occasionally lost its blades, but the hunter still found the game.

In that case I would say some would find the broad head's performance satisfactory, and some wouldn't.

R_burg

WKR
On a side note I fell nearly 10 feet onto my swfa 3-15 in talley lightweight rings and rolled about 5 more times over another 50 feet before stopping.. dented the objective lens, tore me up but rifle held perfect zero and made more kills. Glass on the 3-15 kinda sucks but damn it only knocked the elevation turret -.2 mils and those are big ass knobs.

Thinking strongly about buying one of these. What would you say the glass compares to? What are its downfalls? Its very hard to get a straight answer on the internet.

Thanks.

16Bore

WKR
This is some seriously funny shit. Is this what happens when everyone gets a trophy?

I