Eld-x bullets... not impressed

I shot 3 animals this year with same bullet and case. All were drt from about 40 ft head on with a bear to 450 on a big mature bull elk. I like them and they seem to work well

Unoboats

WKR
Just shot about 30 animals the last 2 weeks.

200gr eld-x factory 300 win mag tikka superlite

2 Tahr, 42 yards and 175.. 3 chamois.. 140 yards (just a guess) 275 and 328.. 25 goats or so yesterday. 8 yards to 860..Not impressed at all.

Shoots great groups. Not stoked on terminal performance. Won't upload pics because of expensive data but yeah under 200 yards the results were not impressive.

Back to Sierra soft tipped bullets for me.

Will update on medium sized deer but thinking of using my box of 165gr ppu lead bullets on a meat hunt and save the eld-x for A wallaby hunt.

On a side note I fell nearly 10 feet onto my swfa 3-15 in talley lightweight rings and rolled about 5 more times over another 50 feet before stopping.. dented the objective lens, tore me up but rifle held perfect zero and made more kills. Glass on the 3-15 kinda sucks but damn it only knocked the elevation turret -.2 mils and those are big ass knobs.

I feel the same about Berger as well. Switched over to Swift Sirocco in my 260 and 280. Working up load for 300. The 130 grain Scirocco in the260 took a huge body bull elk this past fall at 231 and broke both shoulders and exited. Terminal damage was awesome. Never took a Step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
I had great experience with the 178gr eld-x. I imagine there are "fail to perform" stories for most bullets.

Partitions, Sciroccos, Accubonds... all have served me well.

Too bad the OP didn't have the experience desired/expected. I will be trusting the eld-x again in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I agree I watched atleast 20 critters fall for the gimmicky eldx marketing from hornady last year alone, including one old wise 71” bull moose whichbyou think would be smarter than that.....silly critters ;)

mtmuley

WKR
Only 20? Between me and friends probably over 150 kills with Accubonds in various cartridges. At least 40 by myself. I'm stayin. mtmuley

Jon Boy

WKR
Only 20? Between me and friends probably over 150 kills with Accubonds in various cartridges. At least 40 by myself. I'm stayin. mtmuley

I dont think you wanna play the "I have more kills" game with moffat bud. Both are fine bullets and each have their place. Everyones experience is a little different, as we can see by this thread.

mtmuley

WKR
I dont think you wanna play the "I have more kills" game with moffat bud. Both are fine bullets and each have their place. Everyones experience is a little different, as we can see by this thread.
With the Accubond specifically, I probably have more. Hell, I have over 20 with Core-Lokts I bet. Overall kills, who knows? Been hunting and killing for 40 years. Didn't count. It's not a contest, I just have a ton of experience with a certain bullet. 20 kills is a small sample. All I meant. mtmuley

Jon Boy

WKR
With the Accubond specifically, I probably have more. Hell, I have over 20 with Core-Lokts I bet. Overall kills, who knows? Been hunting and killing for 40 years. Didn't count. It's not a contest, I just have a ton of experience with a certain bullet. 20 kills is a small sample. All I meant. mtmuley

You're sounding petty. Sure you might have more kills with the accubond but the title of the thread has ELD in it.. 20 kills being a small sample, but 40 bringing infinite wisdom? Common man. Ill take advice to heart from any one with 10+ kills with a round. Whether that be you, Moffat, or any one else. They are both great rounds, comparing the 2 is silly though.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR

And if this was an Accubond or Core Lokt thread that would be awesome information. This bullet (Eld x) has only been out for a hunting season, so 20 is not bad. :cool: my experience with this bullet mirrors Luke. Great performance resulting in dead stuff...

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Yeah only 20 man...I know small sample size....but only been using them for a year as they are a new bullet. I didn’t realize you got 150 with accubonds in that same time frame. I have seen atleast one kill with an accubond and it works too. But I am not seeing them working twice as well as the price tag indicates. Sorry was just trying to give some experience on the ELD as that was what this thread was titled is all. I am sure you have more with this bullet or any bullet type and that’s great but let’s try to keep it on topic for this thread.

I think most reading this thread would be very interested in the on game performance of the ELDX that led you to find them to be simply good marketing by hornady and perhaps over hyped and where you found the accubond to excel compared to the performance of the ELDX you used.

Last edited:

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, you guys are KILLERS!! - im not being facetious either, I am lucky to see 4-5 things die through my scope in a season. Anyway, I have taken game with the interlock ring style bullets hornady makes and they have been pretty good- I know the ELDX uses the same locking style.

I have a couple boxes of 178 ELDX and some ELDM's im messing around with in preparation for this bear season. Hopefully ill be able to report back with some pics.

Thus far, the ELDM's seem to shoot better across the board- in my junk guns that is.

Just out of curiosity, How are you guys taking so much game each season? to say im jealous is an understatement.

Mike.

duchntr

WKR

Oh lord this is funny....I killed one..thats right 1 caribou with the eldx, high lung 150 yrd pass through, golf ball sized exit. Friend had the same result same range.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Wow, you guys are KILLERS!! - im not being facetious either, I am lucky to see 4-5 things die through my scope in a season. Anyway, I have taken game with the interlock ring style bullets hornady makes and they have been pretty good- I know the ELDX uses the same locking style.

I have a couple boxes of 178 ELDX and some ELDM's im messing around with in preparation for this bear season. Hopefully ill be able to report back with some pics.

Thus far, the ELDM's seem to shoot better across the board- in my junk guns that is.

Just out of curiosity, How are you guys taking so much game each season? to say im jealous is an understatement.

Mike.

Sorry I didn’t personally pull the trigger on 24 critters last year. Usually I see 20-25 big game animals shot annually and shoot 3-4 myself. Last year was no different. But all but 4 of the 24 we shot last year folks were using my rifles. I am not some super slayer either as I personally only punched 4 tags. Just enjoy the challenge of getting others on game rather than myself the past several years.

Last edited:

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I didn’t personally pull the trigger on 24 critters last year. Usually I see 20-25 big game animals shot annually and shoot 3-4 myself. Last year was no different. But all but 4 of the 24 we shot last year folks were using my rifles. I am not some super slayer either as I personally only punched 4 tags. Just enjoy the challenge of getting others on game rather than myself the past several years.

Ohh right on man! Good on you for getting guys out, as a total newb myself I appreciate guys like you haha.

PS. your kimber build inspired me a pick up a microlight for my 85 finnlight- its at the smith right now. Ill inbox you some pics when I get it
home!

Sorry for derailing.