Eld-x bullets... not impressed

Just shot about 30 animals the last 2 weeks.

200gr eld-x factory 300 win mag tikka superlite

2 Tahr, 42 yards and 175.. 3 chamois.. 140 yards (just a guess) 275 and 328.. 25 goats or so yesterday. 8 yards to 860..Not impressed at all.

Shoots great groups. Not stoked on terminal performance. Won't upload pics because of expensive data but yeah under 200 yards the results were not impressive.

Back to Sierra soft tipped bullets for me.

Will update on medium sized deer but thinking of using my box of 165gr ppu lead bullets on a meat hunt and save the eld-x for A wallaby hunt.

On a side note I fell nearly 10 feet onto my swfa 3-15 in talley lightweight rings and rolled about 5 more times over another 50 feet before stopping.. dented the objective lens, tore me up but rifle held perfect zero and made more kills. Glass on the 3-15 kinda sucks but damn it only knocked the elevation turret -.2 mils and those are big ass knobs.

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
Just shot about 30 animals the last 2 weeks.

200gr eld-x factory 300 win mag tikka superlite

2 Tahr, 42 yards and 175.. 3 chamois.. 140 yards (just a guess) 275 and 328.. 25 goats or so yesterday. 8 yards to 860..Not impressed at all.

Shoots great groups. Not stoked on terminal performance. Won't upload pics because of expensive data but yeah under 200 yards the results were not impressive.

Back to Sierra soft tipped bullets for me.

Will update on medium sized deer but thinking of using my box of 165gr ppu lead bullets on a meat hunt and save the eld-x for A wallaby hunt.

On a side note I fell nearly 10 feet onto my swfa 3-15 in talley lightweight rings and rolled about 5 more times over another 50 feet before stopping.. dented the objective lens, tore me up but rifle held perfect zero and made more kills. Glass on the 3-15 kinda sucks but damn it only knocked the elevation turret -.2 mils and those are big ass knobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My daughter shot a doe with the 143gr ELD-X 6.5mm bullet this year (our only experience on an animal) and we found the lead core and copper jacket just under the offside hide separated and about 2" from each other. That didn't impress me much either. I prefer a bullet that stays together.

bhylton

WKR
does not sound like there were any failures.. just not impressed with performance.

GKPrice

Banned
"to me' they sound like tipped Bergers in the terminal performance dept, I'll stick with Accubonds and Etips for ammimmals I plan to eat

You've given us nothing scientific to go off of here. What were the actual terminal results? That's a lot of good data you have to go off, it would be awesome if you could share exactly what the results were.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
N
First.. bull Tahr 40 yards.. clipped front shoulder bone on the way in. Fairly small exit almost exactly the width of my knife so about 1.25 inches or so. Entrance lung was fairly hit but nothing major on exit side. Animal got up and ran from bed about 25 yards or so.

2nd Tahr at 175.. quartering away bullet grenades. Behind shoulder entrance.. No exit.. animal runs 75 yards and dies in the worse spot possible. Starting to feel frustrated

Chamois at 140.. bit of a bad shot, back way far. Bullet pencils through. No blood. Easy find but still baffled at bullet doesn't expand. Strange all the way around for sure.

328 chamois, finally we have a drt. Perfect shot, 2.5 inch exit. Animals boiler room is jelly.

Can't remember chamois 3, hunting partner shot it and went and got it. I do know it was a decent shot and it ran a bit.

Feral goats. They run together a bit but I'll try to recollect what happens. 8 yards in the face. Bullet grenades. At the angle shot it should have in my mind penetrated into chest cavity.

Most of the medium range goats 300-500 get solid hits and run a wee bit before piling up. Now I've had them bang flop most always with the 300 before.

860 yard hit. Animals hit perfect. Just stands there for about 1 minute before tipping over.

Nothing super scientific, just my experience. this is the internet so anyone can write anything but my experience culling deer and doing professional deer and bear hunts in Alaska, 200gr 300 win mag should be nearly bang flip on anything less then 500lbs.

I'm not disparaging the bullets accuracy, it's probably too much to ask of a bullet to hold together close and still open long range, but I wouldn't have imagined penciling both at 140 yards and at 860 or so.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I imagine that it is a matter of perspective, but that sounds like pretty good performance under a pretty wide range of impact velocity.

I appreciate you posting your experiences.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
ELD-X's are an A-MAX with an Interlock ring. They do not grenade as much as a Berger. They do not hold together like a Barnes.

There's nothing that about the results that you got that is surprising.

16Bore

WKR
Easy to predict what a bullet will do when shot into a wad of wet newspaper. Little more difficult when it's a living creature with the will to live. Point being that if you had shot 40 animals in the same spot at the same distance, you'd likely still have 40 different results. "You" not being you,but anything for that matter.

DRT and bang-flop is pretty much a load of shit. Why guys jizz their pants over it is beyond me. My guess is that it's the only way some can tell if they "hit" something.

Anyway, if someone told me I could have a ticket to NZ but only shoot Corloks, I'd still be packing my bags.

GKPrice

Banned
Easy to predict what a bullet will do when shot into a wad of wet newspaper. Little more difficult when it's a living creature with the will to live. Point being that if you had shot 40 animals in the same spot at the same distance, you'd likely still have 40 different results. "You" not being you,but anything for that matter.

DRT and bang-flop is pretty much a load of shit. Why guys jizz their pants over it is beyond me. My guess is that it's the only way some can tell if they "hit" something.

Anyway, if someone told me I could have a ticket to NZ but only shoot Corloks, I'd still be packing my bags.

Ya, I'd predict that the "frangible vs. bonded core/monolithic" will be debated over fires and stoves for decades to come

I'd have to agree with you on the "ticket to NZ" part .....

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I imagine that it is a matter of perspective, but that sounds like pretty good performance under a pretty wide range of impact velocity.

I appreciate you posting your experiences.

That's what I was thinking, sounded all good to me. Had my 6.5 Creedmoor with a 143 eldx go through a muley shoulder and have 2ish inch hole when it came out through the ribs on the other side. I am good with that.

16Bore

WKR
Ya, I'd predict that the "frangible vs. bonded core/monolithic" will be debated over fires and stoves for decades to come

I'd have to agree with you on the "ticket to NZ" part .....

Nothing new. I've got a copy of "Still Hunting" written in 1909. Opening chapter mentions guys talking about "fast twist" "gain twist" and "strong ball"(that's bullet, for the kids). Author states he's doesn't want to get into the technical type gun stuff, but more about hunting. Same/same.

Hunting is as old as f***ing, just not as fun.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement and oh yeah, shot placement. If it is hit in the vitals, it is going to die.

Randy