dipping my toe into the world of .22 rimfire AGAIN.

boom

WKR
i got away from the .22. for the life of me, i dont know why. i just ordered a new handgun, and i hope to hunt CA grouse with it in the Sierras. i'm a decent shot with my "big" handguns, and i plan on honing my skills with the handgun. i want to get really good. and despite the ammo cost, it is still kinda cheap by comparison. i'll shoot a lot.

i went to a gun show and my head was spinning from the ammo options. sub-sonics, subsonic bullets that come apart, heavy bullet subsonic..hyper speed..

i'm getting a Browning Buckmark Contour. should be here in a few weeks in my hot little hands. i was told the buckmark likes higher velocities. ??

as a kid i killed rabbits with a fistful of remington GOLD ammo. never gave it a thought.but i was 12. now i tend to over think things..:)

what is your .22 hunting ammo?

JWP58

WKR
Standard velocity or subsonic will usually provide the best accuracy in 22lr. Eley and wolf mt are a good place to start.

My gun shoots Eley subsonic hp's pretty well, and Eley target extremely well.

Muttly

WKR
Couple years ago, got tired of wondering when I,d see .22 ammo again, got rid of all the .22s.
Now I catch myself thinking about gettin a 1911 top end..

elkguide

WKR
Have several of the Ruger MK's and they do just fine with most anything. I like the CCI's for general shooting and when I get serious it's Eley all the way.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Just buy 1 box of everything and see what your gun likes then pick from that. Rabbits & grouse can be killed with a pellet gun so it's not like your pushing the .22's limitations

To answer your question I use federal bulk or cci out of my mk iii hunter depending on what I'm hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
Best accuracy is generally regular old standard speed 40gr lead...but unless you're a crack marksman with a pistol you'll never seen much difference.

I've done a lot of small game hunting with CCI Velocitors with great results, but I've shot a lot of critters with all of it. For grouse you don't need anything more than a good shot- I'v taken a number with CBs and cool shooting.

Standard velocity or subsonic will usually provide the best accuracy in 22lr. Eley and wolf mt are a good place to start.

My gun shoots Eley subsonic hp's pretty well, and Eley target extremely well.
I agree with this and SK Standard is a pretty close cousin to Wolf Match.
With a new Buckmark(good choice, BTW), you might need to run some higher velocity ammo to break it in.
If it runs fine with standard velocity, you're GTG.
Grouse are not hard to kill, accuracy is all you need.

Flazer

FNG
Boom, check the regulations before you head out. I think you have to use lead free now for small game? Which means your .22 lr options are slim. I was looking into rimfire and grouse for CA (not legal here in NV), and ran into an interesting issue. CA allows pellet guns for upland birds, even pistols and revolvers for grouse only, but makes it seem like a 22lr or other rimfire rifle can't be used for grouse. Why is this? I've emailed CDFW to see what they say.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk