Scope options

Bwana

WKR
I've narrowed my scope choices down to 2 models, any others worth looking at in the same price range ?

1)Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 Firedot Duplex LR
2)Vortex Razor 3-15x42 HD LH

The Leupy's are being clearanced as HD's have hit the market, so good deals to be had...I'd prefer to skip the tactical turret models, since shots will be in the 300-400yd max range.

Thoughts on "better" scopes(same price), not cheaper deals ?

If you shop around you can find the Swaro Z3 for $700-$800 used for the 4-12x model. I would throw that option into the mix. I have shot 2 rifles with the VX-6 (don't own one, just have used at the range), and I thought my Z3 swaro scopes were superior in image clarity and super easy on the eyes.

The VX6 does have a 30MM tube, so you will get more elevation out of your dial, but with the 1" tube on swaro, you should still get 500-700 yards depending on the gun and cartridge you are using.

Both have bullet drop reticles as well if you don't want any sort of turret.

OP
Bwana

Bwana

WKR
If you shop around you can find the Swaro Z3 for $700-$800 used for the 4-12x model. I would throw that option into the mix. I have shot 2 rifles with the VX-6 (don't own one, just have used at the range), and I thought my Z3 swaro scopes were superior in image clarity and super easy on the eyes. The VX6 does have a 30MM tube, so you will get more elevation out of your dial, but with the 1" tube on swaro, you should still get 500-700 yards depending on the gun and cartridge you are using.

I'll take a look at the Z3 deals, the 1" tube isn't a problem...I'll never realistically have 500-700 opportunities anyway.

Thanks

N2TRKYS

WKR
Everybody I know that has a VX6 loves it and says that it's better glass than the VX3. I've always used VX3s, so it's hard for me to make the change.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
I know it is not as publicized or used but meopta has great glass and I wouldn't hesitate in the least to put one on my rifle in that price range.

Meopta MeoPro Rifle Scope 4.5-14x 44mm
Meopta Meostar LR Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-16x 44mm

OP
Bwana

Bwana

WKR
They do have pretty decent glass, but the turrets on that LR model are the junkiest turrets I've ever used on any scope.

I helped a buddy get his rifle sighted in 1 day with a Meostar LR, and the turrets were pretty cheap and junky feeling...it has held zero last I heard tho.

The VX6 reviews look pretty good in the 2-7 & 2-12 models, and the pricing is about as good as it gets for the quality....I like hearing the eye relief doesn't vary from power to power settings like the vx3 models were known for.

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
I've looked at the Vortex HD LH at sportsmans warehouse and I thought it was really good, made in Japan and has Razor glass but I didn't want to spend $1k on a Vortex. Found this deal today and got the 3-15 w/ HSR-4 reticle for $694 shipped...

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/gear...hd-lh-sale-optics-planet-additional-11-a.html

Its going to replace my Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9, I found myself wanting more magnification last season.

OP
Bwana

Bwana

WKR
I pulled the trigger on a VX-6 2-12x42 with a CDS Firedot LR Duplex being delivered this morning, now have to see if my scope rings will fit.There are some very nice deals on the VX-6 series, now that the new generation has been released...they're going fast tho. I have some VX2 & VX3 models on other guns that I've always been happy with, so the new 1 coming today should be a keeper.

The rifle scope market is just about as confusing as any other bino/spotter choices, and depending on your needs and budget the options are endless. Between MOA/Mil, turret construction, and eye relief specs,,, it was a learning experience for me. It's nice to know Leupold will change the retical style anytime I might decide for a nominal fee, and a lifetime warranty...tho reviews say their service & communication is lacking, with a 4-6 week turn around time. Either get it strapped on the new rifle this week, and give it a run at the range.