Time for a project...recommend a caliber for coyote/deer/longer range target

I do most of my hunting with my bow or my muzzy...I have a tikka t3 superlite in 06 topped with a vx3 3.5-10x cds for the times i either draw a multi season tag, or go out of state.
Now comes my question. In the back of the safe I have an older savage 110 .270 that I no longer shoot that I figured would make a good action donor for a fun project.
I know the .270 would work for all of these things, but since it is so close to the 06 i figured why not do a cheap build on it.
Looking for a lower recoiling round that would be good for coyote hunting, a decent backup for deer, and fun for plinking longer range targets.
I don't reload so would prefer more available calibers, but I also don't shoot every single weekend, so I don't need something that I can buy at walmart or anything like that either.

243 throated long so that will take the heavier bullets. Short action rounds will feed just fine from that long action Savage mag, I've done it.

243 = cheap brass, doesnt burn a bunch of powder, arguably the best selection of low cost high BC bullets- 105 A-max or BTHP - and very low recoil.

243 is plenty for deer and smashes yotes like Thor's hammer.

OP
blackpowderhunter
to be honest the two that were high on my list out of the gate were a 6.5 creedmor or a .243
Like I said I don't reload, but I feel like if I did, reloading a .243 and 30-06 would have tons of data, cheap brass, etc to play with.

Just curious.. how old is your 110? I've got an old 111 30-06 with the side release magazine and it's been tough to find good info for replacing the stock, mag assembly, etc.

I agree with the others and say .243 or the 6.5Creed are two excellent choices. The 6Creed is interesting but ammo will be more difficult to source unless it takes off and you never know what the future holds. I think the 6mm Creedmoor would be the best for what you are looking for but is a good bet only if you reload. You might get stranded with it if ammo stops.

Jimbob

WKR
If you want a project then get into reloading for sure. It was something I always wanted to do and not that I have I wish I did it sooner. It has made me a better shooter. I shoot more now plus I spent more time study the in and outs of accuracy/ballistics etc. This way you can pretty much choose what ever caliber you want for your new build as well.

Last edited:

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 Creedmoor, does everything and now everyone is making brass for it. It is the do all cartridge.

ST52v

WKR
The new 6.5 that Ruger is coming out with. May need to change the bolt head. It will take off and be well supported by Hornaday and Ruger. I will try to find you a link.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
I'd sell that Savage and get a 6.5 Creed. Rebarrel is 2/3 the price. Since you don't reload LR stuff will be limited. Creed probably has the edge there. POS Ruger with a SWFA 10x would knock the stank off lotsa things.

OP
blackpowderhunter
I'd sell that Savage and get a 6.5 Creed. Rebarrel is 2/3 the price. Since you don't reload LR stuff will be limited. Creed probably has the edge there. POS Ruger with a SWFA 10x would knock the stank off lotsa things.
Funny you say that.
It's currently for sale on my local forum. I had been looking at a Ruger american predator.

From a few friends that have Ruger Americans they sound like good rifles for the price. Accurate, light, and with some cool options (threaded)

16Bore

WKR
RAR and SWFA are so cheap you won't feel bad about beating the shit out of them.

JigStick

WKR
6 Dasher no question. Probably the 2nd most accurate round after the 6PPC. A 6 Dasher is stupid accurate at close and long range, has minimal recoil, tunes easily, and has fantastic bullet selection for anything from varmint, to deer, to target. And now with Norma making factory 6 Dasher brass you don't have to worry about fire forming. Just make sure you tell the gunsmith you want to go with the 6 Dasher Norma, and not a standard 6 Dasher