Tikka t3x superlite in 6.5 creedmoor??

Turning this into a first impressions thread. Mounted a v3xi in a dnz base ring combo. Got a 100 yard zero on it. 2 inches above poa ought to be good to 200yards until I can find a load and do some math. Didn’t have a proper rest but used logs and a towel. Shot a box of 130 federal gold medal burgers and had a few single hole pairs. Shot 10 hornady lead free super performance gmx 120 and the groups opened up a bit. In fairness, I was short on time and not letting it cool down.

Feels much better to shoot than my Remington 308 and it is 2 pound lighter. Rifle season here is just around the corner and I am tempted to take her for a stroll.

texag10

WKR
Random question, but the 24" barrel of the superlite has me wondering: Is there enough meat on the barrel that this could potentially be re-chambered in 6.5x284?

Like other guys here.. I picked up my T3X Lite S/S from Whittakers earlier this week. Mounted a SWFA 3-9 in Warne Mountain Tech rings (medium.. might have been able to use lows) on a Tikka Performance 20MOA base. So far I've only tried 3 types of ammo, shot a total of 46 rounds during a quick range trip Here's what I found so far (not very scientific).

Hornady American Whitetail 129gr Interlock - Used these just to get close to where I wanted and get the barrel dirtied. Overall, shot pretty well
HSM Trophy Gold 140gr Berger VLD - These shot decent also (only shot 6 of them). My 7mag T3X loves the Bergers so I'm hoping these shoot well also. Going to give them another try when I can devote more time to shooting right.
Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-x - Everyone says their Tikka 6.5s loves this round, and mine was no exception. I got 7 rounds all well inside an inch and was feeling pretty good about myself. My 7mag didnt shoot the 162gr version of this round as well, but in the 6.5 it's rocking!

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
HSM Trophy Gold 140gr Berger VLD - These shot decent also (only shot 6 of them). My 7mag T3X loves the Bergers so I'm hoping these shoot well also. Going to give them another try when I can devote more time to shooting right.
!

My CTR shoots Federal 130 Berger Hybrids in to one single hole - literally. Shot a 3 shot group at 100 that was 0.16 MOA. I would definitely try those out if you don't mind shooting a 130gr bullet.

My CTR shoots Federal 130 Berger Hybrids in to one single hole - literally. Shot a 3 shot group at 100 that was 0.16 MOA. I would definitely try those out if you don't mind shooting a 130gr bullet.

Good to know, thanks Rusty. I'll give those a try.

Looks like the 6.5CM is only available in 24" in the superlite... would like a 22" for hunting purposes so wondering how much could be chopped off it?

Basically, curious how far the flutes stop before the muzzle and is there a certain gap that should be maintained if chopping the barrel down.

Last edited:
Looks like the 6.5CM is only available in 24" in the superlite... would like a 22" for hunting purposes so wondering how much could be chopped off it?

Basically, curious how far the flutes stop before the muzzle and is there a certain gap that should be maintained if chopping the barrel down.

Don’t know the answer but somewhere a few pages back someone said a 22 inch lite Barr led action weighs the same as a 24 inch super lite.

texag10

WKR
Ironically the same reason I would never own a Tikka 300 WM makes it a better short action option. The magazine will allow loading short cartridges such as the Creemoor long.

What COAL are you getting in the factory mag? I keep going back and forth between a tikka in 6.5cm with stockys CF stock and a kimber montana in 280AI.

How is the load development with the 147 ELD-Ms and RL-26 going? What primers are you using? Reason I am so interested is I would be loading the exact same combo.

Picked up my lite (not superlite) today.

Stock feels sorta cheap but not hollow but kind of like a toy. Trigger is crisp. Bare gun weighs 6lbs 6.5 oz. I like the length of pull.

I am going to try to get it scoped and zeroed before deer season but not sure it will happen for this year.

Anyone know the part number on the magazine? Is it the 308 magazine?

Also, anyone find a factory nonlead round these things like?

Is your Lite a 24" barrel?

FURMAN

WKR
What COAL are you getting in the factory mag? I keep going back and forth between a tikka in 6.5cm with stockys CF stock and a kimber montana in 280AI.

How is the load development with the 147 ELD-Ms and RL-26 going? What primers are you using? Reason I am so interested is I would be loading the exact same combo.

My COAL is 2.970 with the 147s touching the lands which is where the accuracy is. I will be using a long(270, 30-06, etc) magazine and a Mountain Tactical long bolt stop to feed. I am pretty close, if not done, with load development with the 147s. I am using BR2s and Hornady brass. I will be experimenting with a few other brass companies. This setup is 8lbs scoped. I replaced the factory stock with a Stocky's Carbon. It looks like it is going to hold .5 moa out to at least 875 yards. I will need to do some thorough temp testing with the RL26 as I do not trust Alliant powders. So far it looks good.

texag10

WKR
Awesome, thanks for replying! Still getting around 2800 fps like you were with the 150 SMKs?

FURMAN

WKR
Awesome, thanks for replying! Still getting around 2800 fps like you were with the 150 SMKs?

2825fps single digit sd in 35 degrees. Will monitor temperature changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro