Yes... Another which Caliber question

starsky

FNG
Guy asks about PRS cartridges and target rifles and some of you start responding about what works for you whilst hunting? Odd...

dkynoch

FNG
I agree with choosing a caliber you don't have to form brass for. There are to many options these days to mess with wildcats. You are better off spending your time shooting more.

When I first started shooting competitively my initial motivation was to just use it to practice for hunting. You may find this opens Pandora's box and you will start chasing every match you can get to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
I would most likely go with a long action on the 6.5 x 284 to accept the longer bullets. My objections to the 6.5/06 is mainly the lack of factory brass, one more step during reloading and no options for factory ammo. The factory ammo thing is not a real big deal, but i like having that option, should something arise last minute and i need ammo in a pinch. I have a 30-06 as well. It has taken a few animals in it's day, but has taken a back seat to my 300 WSM lately.

I respect your choice but that doesn't make the 30.06 less effective - I'd hate to be forced to recall the exact number of prairie dogs that have fallen to my 223 AI shooting fire forming loads, it's in the 1000's - I killed 2 white tail does and 2 antelope does with '06 AI fire form loads and they never put up a fuss about it

dkynoch

FNG
Guy asks about PRS cartridges and target rifles and some of you start responding about what works for you whilst hunting? Odd...
This is a great point. When I started shooting matches I looked only at the ballistics on paper between cartridges and I wondered why everyone was shooting a certain caliber when such and such cartridge was so much better.

Match cartridges have to meet different requirements than hunting ones do. The big thing you want in a match cartridge is consistency. You want low velocity extreme spreads and standard deviation. A hunting cartridge can have more variation because you are trying to hit a relatively big target.

You can get good consistency with many hunting cartridges but it is harder. Cartridges like the Creedmoor are a lot easier to load for and less finicky. That is a big reason a lot of shooters are using it in PRS matches.

GKPrice

Banned
This is a great point. When I started shooting matches I looked only at the ballistics on paper between cartridges and I wondered why everyone was shooting a certain caliber when such and such cartridge was so much better.

Match cartridges have to meet different requirements than hunting ones do. The big thing you want in a match cartridge is consistency. You want low velocity extreme spreads and standard deviation. A hunting cartridge can have more variation because you are trying to hit a relatively big target.

You can get good consistency with many hunting cartridges but it is harder. Cartridges like the Creedmoor are a lot easier to load for and less finicky. That is a big reason a lot of shooters are using it in PRS matches.

also the reason why cartridges like the 6.5 CM are such a "hit" with hunters ....

OP
H

Thanks for your replies. This is along the lines I was thinking. I am sure there is a reason most PRS shooters shoot certain calibers over better ballistically performing calibers. Ease of loading and recoil were my initial thoughts. I agree that this is probably going to open up pandora's box. I have only been to a couple of matches ever in my life, and the one this last weekend has me already building a new rifle. I really think I might do a chassis 700 or Tikka.

GKPrice

Banned
Thanks for your replies. This is along the lines I was thinking. I am sure there is a reason most PRS shooters shoot certain calibers over better ballistically performing calibers. Ease of loading and recoil were my initial thoughts. I agree that this is probably going to open up pandora's box. I have only been to a couple of matches ever in my life, and the one this last weekend has me already building a new rifle. I really think I might do a chassis 700 or Tikka.

IMO a Tikka would make more sense in the long run but either would be a good choice

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Why not buy a Cooper 6.5-284? Half inch accuracy guarantee & relatively cheap barrel replacement. I can't imagine you could build a rifle for much less and no accuracy guarantee.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

OP
H
I really want to add a chassis gun to my lineup. It does not appear that Cooper offers anything like this. I think I can get into a chassis gun for under 2k.

rotorwash

FNG
I don't compete in matches , I just like to shoot small groups as far as I can for fun so I might be ignorant.
I shoot 260 and 65cm but when I wanted to get good bcs with higher velocities I just went with a 7mm rm. Is there a reason more people don't go that way?

I did toy with the idea of 6.5-06 rebarrel or a 270 win with the 145 eldx but eventually decided on the 7mm

Also why does Noone make some higher bc .257s . I think a 25-06 would really be great if there were some better bc bullets

GKPrice

Banned
I don't compete in matches , I just like to shoot small groups as far as I can for fun so I might be ignorant.
I shoot 260 and 65cm but when I wanted to get good bcs with higher velocities I just went with a 7mm rm. Is there a reason more people don't go that way?

I did toy with the idea of 6.5-06 rebarrel or a 270 win with the 145 eldx but eventually decided on the 7mm

Also why does Noone make some higher bc .257s . I think a 25-06 would really be great if there were some better bc bullets

each given bore diameter has it's sweet spot for bullets/BC's - 7mm is and has always been in that "sweet spot" territory, I think a better BC in .257 would prove to be quite long, which in ANY caliber presents it's own set of problems with action length and twist rate - In my perspective the 6.5 isn't a world better than 7mm but bring recoil into the equation and the 6.5 gains points (unless it's a Nosler or Weatherby that is)

I've worked with 6.5/284 a bit and it's a fine cartridge (6mm-284 is too), a 6.5 CM "might" be made into a 6.5/284, just thinking .....

I agree with choosing a caliber you don't have to form brass for.

I'll take it a step further - choose a caliber that offers the chance to buy Lapua brass.

I hate brass prep. With Lapua brass, I chamfer/deburr and load. No messing with primer pockets, flash holes, neck turning, etc.

If you don't intend to compete it's probably not necessary, but if you want to remove several variables from the accuracy equation it's an easy step all things considered.

FURMAN

WKR
I have had two 6.5x284s and two 6.5x55s(still have a swede). I also just started reloading for the Creedmoor. With 22-24" barrels and 140gr bullets in their accuracy node they all shoot within 50fps of each other. I love the 6.5x284 but you need a long barrel to realize it's potential. If you are staying in the 22-24" range save some money on barrels and components and go with the Creedmoor.

16Bore

WKR
I never used Norma, but you could calibrate your calipers with Lapua.