Yes... Another which Caliber question

6.5-300 weatherby. Nuff said

e2a56fcfb2f08de05ed58610b3eeae96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dkynoch

FNG
49.2 of IMR7828ssc under a 140 Berger Hybrid.

The Hodgdon manual shows 48.2 grains of 7828 with a 140 at 2678 fps. One more gain of powder is giving you 400 more fps. The extra barrel should get you 250 fps on average.

robtattoo

WKR
Do you want me to post pictures of the crono screen too? Remember, altitude, air density & humidity play a role too. I'm in Tennessee at 1220ft ASL & my chrono loads were shot at 72% humidity.
It is what it is, on that day, in those conditions.
It WILL be different for you.

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

GKPrice

Banned
Is there any benefit to going with the creedmoor over the 6.5 X 284 other than barrel life? Is it wrong to shoot the 6.5 X 284 and shoot lighter loads in it. They would still be superior to any creedmoor round. The .260 and Creedmoor are pretty much the same round, so I would consider a .260 as well. I guess I am just trying to understand why the 6.5 creedmoor is so popular? Is it inherently very accurate compared to other 6.5 calibers? I mean the creedmoor is considerably more popular the the .260 and ballistically they are almost identical.

on the most recent thread prior to this one Formidilosis gives a really clear explanation on the "why and what" of the Creedmor - I "think" a main thing is IF you handload go with your choice but if you're a factory ammo guy the Creedmor is likely to have more choices of better quality ammo available (anyone should step in and correct me if I'm mistaken on this)

Nobody's voting for the 26 Nosler? I'd love to have one of those with a carbon barrel and Ti action.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
Nobody's voting for the 26 Nosler? I'd love to have one of those with a carbon barrel and Ti action.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

IF I still had the "need for speed" THAT is the one I would go with definitely I see Wthby's entry as too much, too late

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for everyone's input, I do reload. It is doubtful that I will shoot 2000-3000 rounds a year. I am not necessarily trying to compete in PRS matches, more of shoot them to further my skills for hunting. They are a lot of fun, and I only shoot them to have a good time. I just can not get behind the 6.5 creedmoor. I am really leaning toward 6.5x 284.

Robtatoo- those speeds are pretty impressive with your swede. I have a buddy that shoots one of those, but he is only about to get 2700 fps out of his shooting the 140's.

starsky

FNG
If I was getting into PRS type stuff, I'd probably use what most of those guys were using i.e. "smaller" 6mms and 6.5s....

dkynoch

FNG
HuntHarder, the 6.5x284 is a great cartridge. For what you want to do it will work great, it may even help you get a few more hits because it will be more forgiving with a bad wind call. Also you don't have to have a super long barrel to get good performance.

As a side note I was discussing cartridges with someone the other day and it was brought up how we have seen a lot in cartridge development over the past few years. The guy I was talking to writes for one of the big gun magazines and has toured a lot of ammo plants. I brought up that it is great that we are seeing such great cartridges lately that are much more efficient, a big reason for this efficiency is that we are seeing straighter case walls and 30 to 35 degree shoulder angles, which the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x284 have. This allows for more velocity in a shorter case or in the case of the 6.5x284 less powder.

A big reason that we are seeing these new cartridges is because of the advancements in brass manufacturing, which is an interesting thing to think about. The 30-06, 308, 6.5 Sweede and other cartridges we hold so dear are really the product of 100 year old manufacturing processes. Back when these cartridges where designed they couldn't form cases with straight walls and steep shoulder angles because the reject rate was to high. Cases would buckle during forming to often and it would cost to much to manufacture them.

The 284 Winchester was one of the first cases I think you could say was a modern design and it was introduced before it's time and in a lever action rifle. Gun companies have known for a long time that straighter cases with steeper shoulder angles are better but they weren't cost effective to manufacture till recently.

GKPrice

Banned
Thanks for everyone's input, I do reload. It is doubtful that I will shoot 2000-3000 rounds a year. I am not necessarily trying to compete in PRS matches, more of shoot them to further my skills for hunting. They are a lot of fun, and I only shoot them to have a good time. I just can not get behind the 6.5 creedmoor. I am really leaning toward 6.5x 284.

Robtatoo- those speeds are pretty impressive with your swede. I have a buddy that shoots one of those, but he is only about to get 2700 fps out of his shooting the 140's.

If anyone can define a lick of difference between the 6.5/'06 and the 6.5/284, aside from short action vs. long action, please step forward - food for thought is the 6.5/'06 can be AI'd as well

elkguide

WKR
If anyone can define a lick of difference between the 6.5/'06 and the 6.5/284, aside from short action vs. long action, please step forward - food for thought is the 6.5/'06 can be AI'd as well

Is it because the 6.5/06 only has 4 numbers and the 6.5/284 has 5 numbers?

Aren't both those cartridges built off of a long action?

GKPrice

Banned
HuntHarder, the 6.5x284 is a great cartridge. For what you want to do it will work great, it may even help you get a few more hits because it will be more forgiving with a bad wind call. Also you don't have to have a super long barrel to get good performance.

As a side note I was discussing cartridges with someone the other day and it was brought up how we have seen a lot in cartridge development over the past few years. The guy I was talking to writes for one of the big gun magazines and has toured a lot of ammo plants. I brought up that it is great that we are seeing such great cartridges lately that are much more efficient, a big reason for this efficiency is that we are seeing straighter case walls and 30 to 35 degree shoulder angles, which the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x284 have. This allows for more velocity in a shorter case or in the case of the 6.5x284 less powder.

A big reason that we are seeing these new cartridges is because of the advancements in brass manufacturing, which is an interesting thing to think about. The 30-06, 308, 6.5 Sweede and other cartridges we hold so dear are really the product of 100 year old manufacturing processes. Back when these cartridges where designed they couldn't form cases with straight walls and steep shoulder angles because the reject rate was to high. Cases would buckle during forming to often and it would cost to much to manufacture them.

The 284 Winchester was one of the first cases I think you could say was a modern design and it was introduced before it's time and in a lever action rifle. Gun companies have known for a long time that straighter cases with steeper shoulder angles are better but they weren't cost effective to manufacture till recently.

You are exactly right on the new technology of case design and there can be no argument concerning case efficiency, that said, powder quantity makes velocity and case efficiency splits the hairs - Yes, the 300 WSM is a much more efficient case than the 300 Win Mag but it will never catch up, the 300 WM will always win the race for speed - My meaning is that there will always be races between the "next big thing" and the tried and true performers - Some of what you say about the ammo industry is true and illustrated in the 6.5 Creedmor due to the attention that's being paid to it in the match world ie: GOOD factory ammo - As much as "some" would love to see the OLD DECREPID 30-06 just roll over and die it will still be efficiently killing stuff 100 years from now, as will many other "OLD" cartridge choices

dkynoch

FNG
I would like to add that I have killed all but one of the big game animals I have shot with a 30-06. It is my favorite caliber, mostly because of the ping my M1 makes on the last round😊

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
H

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I would most likely go with a long action on the 6.5 x 284 to accept the longer bullets. My objections to the 6.5/06 is mainly the lack of factory brass, one more step during reloading and no options for factory ammo. The factory ammo thing is not a real big deal, but i like having that option, should something arise last minute and i need ammo in a pinch. I have a 30-06 as well. It has taken a few animals in it's day, but has taken a back seat to my 300 WSM lately.