GA Precision

WestNE

WKR
Looking at GA's website it seems that their rifles and services are really fairly reasonable when compared to the high end, long range hunting rifle manufacturers in vogue, Gunwerks, MOA, etc...

They certainly have a tactical focus but what are your thoughts of GA in the hunting market?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
I don't think quality is a question, more a matter of your willing to hunt with a heavier precision gun.
If I could have swung it I would have grabbed a tikka t3x CTR for a do all precision/hunting rifle (7.5lbs). IMO 10 round box mags, medium contour threaded barrel is something I would be comfortable carrying in the high country.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
WestNE

WestNE

WKR
I guess that is part of my question. They seem to be able to build a 6lb mountain rifle or heavier precision rifle with sub half MOA guarantee but just don't market as well to the hunting crowd, is there something I'm missing?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

matthewmt

WKR
I think tactical is their bread and butter but I wouldn't let that deter you,

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
GAP is one of the best. Buy anything from them with confidence. I know a couple guys with GAPS and they are considered top notch if not the best. As much as Rokslide is to Kifaru, Snipers Hide is to GAP.

FURMAN

WKR
GAP put my last 300 Win together and their prices were relatively cheap. I would recommend them for sure.

They are the best of the best.

Randy

Nailed it.

Mirror the sentiments above, but can give a view point from the tactical competition side.

They are looked at as the best in that realm as well. I know George Gardner and he is a good guy. I also know a couple of their smiths there and they are all people that you can trust. The accuracy of my Hospitaller in 6.5 Creedmoor is just stupid. With some serious reloading, I can hit a 6 inch plate at 900 yards, no joke.

They can build whatever you want.

wildcat33

WKR
Looking at GA's website it seems that their rifles and services are really fairly reasonable when compared to the high end, long range hunting rifle manufacturers in vogue, Gunwerks, MOA, etc...

Any gun built by a good smith is "high end"!

Having just gone through this process I would offer up some of my experience: I went with a well known midsize shop for my work, if i had to do it over I would go with a lesser known one man shop. I think there is value in developing a personal relationship with a smith and them really getting to know you and what you want out of your rifle. There are some hardworking smiths on this forum and others (24hr) that are doing amazing work for fair prices, my recommendation would be to look there first for a truly custom experience.

Brado16

WKR
Also consider resale value when you decide to part with it, your well known name companies like GAP are going to retain a higher selling price than the same rifle from a less known or smaller shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WestNE

WestNE

WKR
I appreciate everything said here. It just seemed to me that they are offering an apparent awesome product at a very competitive price for what you get. I know they make hunting rifles and advertise a couple but they seem to have big opportunity in the hunting market with many guys offering "custom" guns at much higher prices that really can't get much better from a quality standpoint.

I suppose marketing costs money...

Brado16

WKR
I appreciate everything said here. It just seemed to me that they are offering an apparent awesome product at a very competitive price for what you get. I know they make hunting rifles and advertise a couple but they seem to have big opportunity in the hunting market with many guys offering "custom" guns at much higher prices that really can't get much better from a quality standpoint.

I suppose marketing costs money...

It's been a while since I have had GAP build a rifle for me but last one took about 9 months- they have quite the back log and probably feel they don't need to advertise too much. The GAP Non Typical and the Extreme Hunters are two I would look at. I had them build me an Extreme Hunter with a few modified requests in 6.5 SAUM and it hammers. Lots of others to look at too though. LRI, SAC and Beanland to add a few more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JigStick

WKR
If you think their prices are good then you haven't shopped around. GAP, LRI, Beanland, Gradous are some of the highest prices in the market.

Fire_9

WKR
GAP seems reasonable because gunweks and MOA prices are through the roof. I can't figure out how they charge so much. If you buy a custom rifle in the $4000+ range you are literally throwing money away. Even GAP, LRI, Beanland, and all the other big names are priced a little high but you get to do that when you're one of the biggest names in the game. If it were me I would figure out what you want for componets and contact a gunsmith in your area. The truth of the matter is the guy working by himself in his garage will build you the same rifle as one of the big name rifle builders.

KurtR

WKR
My next one will be built by LRI as i can drive the parts to Chad. I dont like mailing stuff. I am also impressed with the machining he does and the technology he has in his shop.

dotman

WKR
GAP seems reasonable because gunweks and MOA prices are through the roof. I can't figure out how they charge so much. If you buy a custom rifle in the $4000+ range you are literally throwing money away. Even GAP, LRI, Beanland, and all the other big names are priced a little high but you get to do that when you're one of the biggest names in the game. If it were me I would figure out what you want for componets and contact a gunsmith in your area. The truth of the matter is the guy working by himself in his garage will build you the same rifle as one of the big name rifle builders.

Hmm... please explain? So I can assume from this you don't think anyone should us Ti actions, carbon barrels or stocks like manners and Mcmillian. Just these 3 components gets you close to $3k without labor and the remaining parts needed.