Swaro Z5 tracking issues??

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Z5 and wondering if anyone has had reliability/tracking issues with theirs? Plan on this one being a dialer and wanted some feedback.

Scottyboy

WKR
How much do you plan on dialing? I believe the Z5 is limited in how much it can dial. I was in the same boat a few months ago and saved my pennies for the X5 which in my opinion is swaro's solution to a dialing scope. Not that the Z5 can't/won't, but if you need to reach out any bit I would double check how much travel you get and see if it fits your needs

Good luck!

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
z5 with BT will only give you one revolution of the turret. Caliber will determine what distance that will get you to. As far as tracking goes, I've had zero issues with mine. Its my favorite scope by far.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Z5 and wondering if anyone has had reliability/tracking issues with theirs? Plan on this one being a dialer and wanted some feedback.

That scope is not meant, nor built to dial. Will it work and will it be reliable? It depends I guess on how you define "work" and "reliable". I have used and seen used numerous Z5's and Z6's and I don't remember one that made it last 1,000 rounds without a problem when dialing. Swarovski' down testing showed that the Z series were not reliable enough for dialing, which is why there is the X5.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Following on this, looking at the z5 as well, with the 4w reticle, be nice to see more input.
Mike

OP
White Wizard
I like the x5 but at almost 30 oz I could have just used the NF and it's to heavy. Would I be better with a Z5 and ballistic turret? I'm open to other lightweight options.

Axlrod

WKR
I have a couple Z5 bt 4w and haven't had any issues dialing, others have. I have over 500 rounds through a 28 nosler and have dialed it from 300 to 800 and back on targets and game many times. It is a very clear scope and it is light. You can send it to swaro and they will put one of their hold over reticles in it for $170. I can get 825 yards out of the bt in a 28 Nosler sighted in for 300 yds.
I have a CA Ridgeline on order and i am looking at the Z6 and the X5 as well.

Axlrod

WKR
That scope is not meant, nor built to dial. Will it work and will it be reliable? It depends I guess on how you define "work" and "reliable". I have used and seen used numerous Z5's and Z6's and I don't remember one that made it last 1,000 rounds without a problem when dialing. Swarovski' down testing showed that the Z series were not reliable enough for dialing, which is why there is the X5.
Do you have a link to this testing by Swarovski? I am interested in the z6 vs the x5

OP
White Wizard
So they make the Z5 avalible with a BT and a custom BT, but have done their own testing that has shown the Z5 isn't good enought for dialing??? I'd like to get a source on said testing. If this is the case then maybe I'll steer clear.

Sodbuster

WKR
White Wizard
So they make the Z5 avalible with a BT and a custom BT, but have done their own testing that has shown the Z5 isn't good enought for dialing??? I'd like to get a source on said testing. If this is the case then maybe I'll steer clear.

Looking at the same scope for a WSM and have read about the issues with the Z5,so following along in the shadows.
I read Ryan Avery's X5 review several times and it sounds about bullet proof. Heavier and costlier but a very important part of the package.

WKR
I made this easy on myself a while back. Currently SWFA 6x, 10x, 1-4 and 3-9 on most rifles. And a new Nightforce SHV F1 on a favorite long range only rig. Formidilosus and some other knowledgeable guys' writing led me that way and I happily followed. And haven't had a scope issue with any of these so I don't experiment much with optics or stocks(mcmillan).

Sodbuster

WKR
I have read several posts from Formidilosus also and have a SWFA 3x15 waiting on its rifle to get here.
I have three older Swaro's on other rifles and have had good luck with them. I do not dial with them.
I am looking for one, great, all range rifle scope and just trying to figure it out.

OP
White Wizard
Well I was going to order a 2.5-10 42 NF but there are non out there in the reticle I want so I went and bought the swaro. I'll test the crap out of the dials when it gets here and let you know how it goes.

Sodbuster

WKR
White Wizard

Well I was going to order a 2.5-10 42 NF but there are non out there in the reticle I want so I went and bought the swaro. I'll test the crap out of the dials when it gets here and let you know how it goes.

Great.
In for that review.

Axlrod

WKR

If Swarovski were selling defective scopes at the price point they are and they had direct knowledge that they were defective all owners would have been notified of their option to be in the class action law suit.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If Swarovski were selling defective scopes at the price point they are and they had direct knowledge that they were defective all owners would have been notified of their option to be in the class action law suit.

With discussions like these, you really want some kind of data. As a point of reference- how many rounds have you shot with Swarovski scopes in the last year? How many of those were dialed? Did you/how did you test the tracking, return to zero, and zero retention on them?

I have absolutely no emotional investment in this but can say between my self and 2-3 teammates/friends who I watch shoot and whose skill are known quantities, we have put somewhere north of 50k rounds through quite a few Swaro's in the last couple of years. They were all tested for tracking, RTZ, and zero retention on tracking boards hard mounted, live fire testing with 10 round groups for zero confirmations, and general hunting and shooting use. With that use I can say that they generally hold zero through normal use, they are not meant for repeated dialing and if used for dialing extensively will generally show issues before 500 rounds.

As to your post- how many Swarovski owners are actually using the scope enough and/or in situations that will show problems? A deer or elk at 100-200 yards gives quite a margin of error. It's not that some won't work for most things. It's that despite what people are led to believe a scope who's internals are actually built for consistent and repeatable dialing are different than normal hunting scopes.

People think that the weight of the good Tactical/long range scopes like Nightforce, SWFA SS, Bushnell LRHS and HDMR, Swaro X5, etc are for "durability" or "abuse". And some of it is. However, A LOT of it is designing a system who's erector works completely and flawlessly.

Axlrod

WKR
I understand the difference in the tactical vs. hunting scopes. I will put 50,000 miles on hunting before I will put 5000 rounds through a hunting rifle. In addition to The Swaros I also have a NF, Zeiss, Trijicon SWFA and a pile of Leup & Burris. For the hunting I do the Swaros are the best I have used.
So is the issue that you see "before 500 rounds" because of constant dialing or because of the cumulative effect of recoil? And what part(s) fail on these scopes?
I have 2-Z5's 1 with a little over 500 rds., 1 with about 125 rds. and a Z3 on a 8lb. 416 Rigby with 180rds (90% shot in a lead sled with 52lb of lead). They all dial right now to my satisfaction but if I need to send them in to have parts replaced periodically I will.

Thank You for your input