seating depth during load development?

In the past I have always set the bullet .010 off of the lands during initial load development, and after a powder charge worked out, would play with the seating depth. I have tried several bullets in this 300wm (700lr) that I have had to play with seating depth before playing with the powder to get any readable result.

Have I been doing it backwards and just been lucky all these years?

the bullets that have given me trouble in this rifle are the 210 ablr...ended up at stock coal for best accuracy
180 partition, also loaded pretty short, and I am trying a 178 eldx right now that is not working out very good.

I have tried several other bullets, and have made a 210 berger shoot real good <3/4 with a slight jam.

Maybe I need to try some different powders, I have been using h4831 and h1000 with the best results from h1000

4ester

WKR
That's the way I do it too, unless limited by the magazine length. Lately a buddy of mine has turned me onto the OCW method and that has worked great. But you still try changing seating depth after you find the node. H1000 or Retumbo would be my first choices.

The Berger VLD's are sensitive to seating depth but can work great if you find that sweet spot.

Have you tried the Berger Hybrids? They are less sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
The bullet that gave me the least trouble was the berger 210, but my starting point was also very close to where it worked good. I have been wanting to try the 215 hybrid, but they are never in stock around here.

Have I been doing it backwards and just been lucky all these years?

No, you are doing it right. Powder charge is most important that bullet seating depth. With reloading, you simply work the largest factors first and then work to the smallest factors. And THAT rabbit hole just keeps going and going. Don't worry, just shoot.

elkguide

WKR
I start my load development quite similarly to that.

I use H-4831 SC, and H-1000 but mostly have had best luck with R-22 in my .300 Win Mags.

16Bore

WKR
Kiss the lands, find pressure, decrease OAL if accuracy suffers. Barnes: seat to the front of the first driving band.

ABLR liked a jump, for whatever reason.

So did SMK's

And 108 Scenars

Powder didn't seem to matter much

N2TRKYS

WKR
I shoot Accubonds and Partitons. I load to Nosler's test best COAL. It has done me well in many rifles.

16Bore

WKR
Noslers 150 NPT 270 WSM book load was waaay long IIRC. The phone number is the only number I trust from Nosler. Litz has the BC's dialed last I checked.