Leupold LR duplex vs. CDS

JWP58

WKR
So I did a searched and found a few occasions people advised would-be-buyers to purchase a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 scope instead of the VX-2 ultra light since they are almost the same weight.

Now I began looking and sure enough they are both about 9oz. The main difference I can find (besides price) is that you can purchase a VX-2 with the CDS turret, and only get the VX-1 with the LR Duplex (bdc type reticle). I am interested in getting feedback from people that have experience with one, or both of these systems.

This will be going on a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun. Due to ballistics I will not be taking shots further than 4-500yds (not considered long range by some, but considered a heck of a long distance to me).

Will I gain anything with the CDS (I've heard vague complaint claims concerning the CDS dials, i'd like to hear more about those)? Or would I be better off with the LR duplex (how do you like the reticle, did the bdc points correlate to useable holdovers)?

That's a lot of questions I know.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I think the CDS concept is good. I don't like bdc reticles because they only work at one magnification setting, with one specific load, on one caliber. So basically its just a rough guess at longer ranges.

Clark33

WKR
The good news is all CDS scopes come with a 1/4 moa dial right off the bat so you can get a custom one and still retain the 1/4 click moa one as well.

I also heard of a guy who requested the new zero stop 1/4 moa cds dial instead of one tailored to his specific load. Not sure if they'll actually do that though

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
I think the CDS concept is good. I don't like bdc reticles because they only work at one magnification setting, with one specific load, on one caliber. So basically its just a rough guess at longer ranges.

I believe the cds dials are for one specific load with info like fps, elevation, etc needed by leupold to make them

Fireguy

WKR
Beware of CDS. I have four of them go bad. They just aren't meant for dialing and they WILL fail on you. Leupold hasn't figured out the turret game yet. Besides my four failures I have been witness to close to 15 other CDS scopes having issues. If you want to dial for elevation I would start at a SWFA scope and then head higher from there.

I actually like the LR duplex for it's simplicity. I have a 6x36 with the LRD on my dad's rifle and it works great for him. It is fairly simple and gets him comfortably to 400-500 yards.

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
SWFA is a no go, way too heavy and bulky. I would get one though for a target rifle though (seem like huge bang for buck)

LR Duplex it is! Which saves me some coin.

efnm

WKR
"Beware of CDS - They just aren't meant for dialing..."

Come on, it is simply a custom cap that is coupled to the elevation adjustment. Your comment might as well say Leupold scopes aren't made to adjust for elevation repeatedly and fail if you do it a lot.

efnm

WKR
OK, then JUST say it that Leupold scopes are crap, not just the CDS! Spread the good word if that's your story.

Back to the OP's main question. I think CDS is not worth it if you are shooting <200 or 250 yards, like on a muzzleloader. Then a BDC is what you need since you're likely not getting super-tight groups to begin with.

300+ is great for CDS if you think you have some variance in distance hunting. Now if you shoot so much, like the guys above, and are changing ranges on your dial constantly then you apparently need to watch out for the Leupold failing. I only shoot 1-200 rounds a year on my hunting rifle and I've never heard a statistically large enough number of comments about Leupold dials to worry. Instead I pay attention to the many people who use them quietly as they go about their business.

Last edited:
OK, then JUST say it that Leupold scopes are crap, not just the CDS! Spread the good word.

Come on bud he's NOT saying that.... He said " actually like the LR duplex for it's simplicity. I have a 6x36 with the LRD on my dad's rifle and it works great for him"

efnm

WKR
Yeah, I should take my fanboy hat off even though only half of my scopes are Leupold. No need to turn this into a flame thread.

Fireguy

WKR
I very much like Leupold and that was all I used for 20 years. But over the last two years I've seen way too many of their variable scopes fail, and the vast majority have been scopes using the CDS dial.

"Your comment might as well say Leupold scopes aren't made to adjust for elevation repeatedly and fail if you do it a lot. " Couldn't have said it better myself:eek:

That being said, I still like, actually love, their fixed 6 power scopes - both the 6x36 and 6x42. They have been great for me, fairly bombproof and reliable. IMO for 90% of the hunters out there a fixed 6 Leupold with either the standard duplex or LR duplex will be all the scope they ever need. There are some very successful hunters who has shot HUNDREDS of head of big game and did it all with a fixed 6 power scope.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
This is the first I have heard of the scopes failing from turret adjustment. I'm not saying it doesn't happen...just that I haven't heard that before. I think this is how rumors get started.

On the other hand, a buddy of mine owns a gun shop and pushes Vortex scopes pretty hard. His biggest selling point is of course the warranty. I asked him which brand needs to be warrantied the least and he said Leupold. He sells to a lot of LE guys, and the equipment gets abused...so I trust that he would know if Leupy scopes had some sort of inherent flaw that caused a failure when adjusting a turret. Lol.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the leupold custom shop add the ballistic dots to my vx2 about 10 yrs ago. They used my round info and distance wanted to calibrate. I kept it similar to my range targets. Zero at 220, 330,440 and 550. This setup has worked well for me and is right on to those distances. Keeps it very simplistic for someone who wants to be proficient at a lessor long range with minimal practice. Been using leupold for coming on four decades with never an issue on scopes that have taken a beating in very bad conditions.

Fireguy

WKR
This is the first I have heard of the scopes failing from turret adjustment. I'm not saying it doesn't happen...just that I haven't heard that before. I think this is how rumors get started.

Not even close to being a rumor. Five minutes with google and you will start to find all sorts of failures. One or two failures I would overlook, 15+ that I have witnessed and its real. If all you do is shoot your five sight in rounds each year and twist the CDS twice a year on a hunt, rock on, you are probably safe.

16Bore

WKR
Is it the dial that fails or the scope? I've got one on a M8 that's ticking along fine. It sure as hell isnt a M1 and is sure the hell is the last CDS I'll ever have. MOA knob is pretty much crap and loves to butt dial while schlepping around.

mtmuley

WKR
Got a couple CDS Leupolds I've twisted around a bit. One has lived on a RUM it's whole life. No issues. Better scopes? Yeah there is, but, it is the internet, so take the info with a grain of salt. mtmuley

efnm

WKR
Agreed, five minutes of googling and you can find whatever you want to find. I'm just as guilty of that when trying to confirm my own opinions.

GKPrice

Banned
OK, then JUST say it that Leupold scopes are crap, not just the CDS! Spread the good word if that's your story.

Back to the OP's main question. I think CDS is not worth it if you are shooting <200 or 250 yards, like on a muzzleloader. Then a BDC is what you need since you're likely not getting super-tight groups to begin with.

300+ is great for CDS if you think you have some variance in distance hunting. Now if you shoot so much, like the guys above, and are changing ranges on your dial constantly then you apparently need to watch out for the Leupold failing. I only shoot 1-200 rounds a year on my hunting rifle and I've never heard a statistically large enough number of comments about Leupold dials to worry. Instead I pay attention to the many people who use them quietly as they go about their business.

you made me raff and raff with that last statement .... "where ignorance is bliss"