take my Browning BAR or purchase a Tikka T3x for Newfoundland Moose

Afhunter1

WKR
I've shot a grand total of 1 Moose so I am an expert now according to the internet. A 40"er close to Caribou, Maine in September of 2015. I used my sporter barreled 300 Rum with no brake on it. The moose was 85 yds away standing in some very thick grass and brush. I could only see his neck so I settled the crosshairs just below his ears and squeezed. Moose dropped but I didn't see it due to the recoil of the gun. I then stumbled around the thick grass until I stepped on the moose because the recoil was enough to disorient me slightly. Didn't take but a few minutes to find him but I wasn't exactly sure where he was. I am glad I had my 300 but I'd of rather had my 7mm-08 in this situation to be able to see the animals reaction. I've seen 6 moose shot with rifles and only 1 took a total of 3 steps after being hit with a 243 (girl shooting a cow). Most get very sick very fast, Elk and Deer are much much hardier animals IMO.

My bull was #845 field dressed.

KClark

WKR
You have several good choices but since you have no confidence in the 7-08 it's not an option. The BAR is a fine rifle, I hunted with one for 5 years but gave up on it because the trigger was awful (compared to a bolt rifle) and if the charge handle gets a light bump it will open the bolt slightly so when you pull the trigger all you get is a loud "click".

Since you have future use of a Tikka in 300WM I'd pony up for it, who doesn't need a new rifle once in awhile, but it will probably become your favorite and 'go to' rifle. Good luck with the moose!

KClark

WKR
Most get very sick very fast, Elk and Deer are much much hardier animals IMO.

My Alaskan brother says the same thing. When hit correctly or poorly moose don't have the flight tenacity like an elk that can take a fatal hit and still change zip codes.

Trial153

WKR
I bought my father a T3x in 7mmRM for our Newfoundland hunt this past fall, he shot his mature bull at 35 yards.... I guess I could have given him my .308 or 7x57 but alas I wanted to buy a new gun. I arrowed my bull at 41 yards, all that said the area we hunted you'd have a chance to reach out a bit as well.
I would leave the BAR at home at take the Tx3 in whatever reasonable caliber you want....

Between the 7-08 and the BAR .300, I would choose the one you shoot more precisely from field positions, like over a pack, or sitting.

Take both out, and 2 3-shot groups standing, 2 groups kneeling, and 2 groups prone, with each rifle.

Whichever you perform best with, roll with it.

GKPrice

Banned
If you want a new rifle by all means get a new one. If not the BAR or the 7-08 will work fine. Of course last time I suggested that cartridges in lesser power than a 300WM also work on moose I was told I was a bad guy and they wouldn't wanna share a campfire with me. ;)

Ha Ha Ha .... good one !

stevevan

WKR
I've taken 3 sub species of moose thus far all with a 7mm Remmy and partition bullets. Heading to Newfoundland this fall for the eastern Canadian moose. My choice this time is a lightweight 300 WSM. Weight of a rifle is foremost to me as you carry it a lot. I would not advise anything less than 30-06. In fact my outfitter recommends and wants all his clients use nothing smaller than a .308 Win. with a good bullet.

hodgeman

WKR
Hard to go wrong with a .300WM on a moose. I just don't like BARs. I dislike walking around with one in the chamber and they are noisy to load with a critter in sight. Other than that...moose are hard to impress and rarely drop to the shot but they aren't furtive like whitetails either. They tend to stand there and tip over after a bit.

It would depend on how much walking around I was going to do- if it was a spot and stalk hunt, I'd take the 7-08, you'll be more handicapped lugging a 10 pound rifle all day than by a 7-08.... If it were relatively static hunt calling for bulls, I'd take the .300...just my $.02

OP
awaldro7

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the information. Definitely has added insight to my question.