Howa mini action 6.5 grendel (SLBMR build)

JWP58

WKR
SLBMR = Super low budget mountain rifle.

So after lugging around my awesomely effective but heavy TC Venture 308win around on my aoudad hunt, I started looking for a lightweight rifle. I started looking and discovered that super lightweight rifles are super expensive (just like packs, bags, tents, whatever). I then put the idea away, until I looked at a Howa Alpine rifle in 6.5creedmoor. I really liked it, but not the price tag. Then I remembered Howa came out with a mini action in 6.5 Grendel (with a #1 contour barrel). I've been interested in the Grendel ever since Mark Larue reported his experience using the cartridge on a 5x5 bull elk at 405yds (one shot kill, through and through with a 120 barnes tsx..or ttsx I cant remember). It should do what I need at ranges I shoot for the critters I hunt.

I bought a barreled action from brownells for $407. It came in at 3.10lbs. I then figured out that I put the cart before the horse. The only stock options I had for stocks was an MDT LSS chassis (not going to happen) and a Boyds laminate stock (super pig at 3lbs...but cheap). I contacted a few custom stock makers, Pendleton, MPI, Mcmillan, and Manners. I quickly discovered this would be uncharted territory and expensive as no high end company makes a stock for the mini. I would be fine being a guinea pig, but not for 600+ bucks (especially if the weight comes in way over). I found a take off Hogue knockoff that Howa sells with the mini action on ebay and won it for 28 bucks. I decided to just try and mod it and turn it into what I want.

32756978553_6c267b404c_b.jpg

^^ Barreled action with magwell/mag
32756973423_738e0c892c_b.jpg

^^Ebay stock, which I have already chopped over two inches (2oz) off the forend (I epoxyed the end cap back on so it wouldn't have an open end)
33442372491_1df2e3a9f8_b.jpg

Cut off chunk of forend

I plan to rasp and sand (already started rasping before cutting down the forend) the stock to reshape it to my liking. The stock as it comes does the petite mini action a disservice because it feels like a 2x4...or 2x6 even.

I had considered having the barreled action cerakoted, but unfortunately at this point in my life Ive discovered usually if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. I don't have a paint gun, booth, or oven. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do for a finish. The stock will be OD green with black webbing. The barreled action might be titanium grey, or I might just say F' it and use FDE Krylon.

Right now weight is at 4.94lbs. The stock is 29.45oz and I hope to get it to 26oz before paint. The scope mounts will be Talley lightweights and the scope will be a Leupold VX1 2-7x33 (lr duplex).

Sorry for the long post. Follow ups to come.

Last edited:
Yes!

Ever since seeing the mini-actions I've had the thought of using one and building up an ultralight bolt action Grendel. Really impressed with the cartridge in an AR.

Can't wait to see the completed rifle.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in for this one too. Lately I am having a strange, possibly unhealthy, obsession with super light rifles. I want to do something like this, but I will try to do it with a Wildcat stock.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider

I think that you will love the 6.5 Grendel. I built one in AR-15 and I have been extremely pleased with its performance. I took this western NC buck with my grendel with a 123gr hornady sst. If you handload try out 123gr sst with 28gr of IMR 8208 XBR. It is an excellent all around game load. I am currently experimenting with Nosler 129gr accubond Long Range with CFE 223 powders. I havnt nailed down my favorite load with the accubonds yet though. I have thought about building a super light gun like yours so I will be taking notes!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Very cool build!! I like the idea a lot. Def keep us posted how it turns out!

Wojo14

WKR
I too have been thinking about getting the Howa 6.5 Grendel as well. I had the ar 6.5 and loved it. Should have never sold it!
I like the idea of a light weight powerful rifle with low recoil.
Plus it would be a good SHTF rifle considering you can get wolf ammo real cheap!
You think this caliber is good on elk, bear, hogs along with whit tail?
From what I read, it is.
Hell, I'd use it on coyotes too
~Wojo

• Banned
OP
J

JWP58

WKR
What would be a good milldot scope for this rifle?
~Wojo

No idea, I couldn't find one light enough without spending crazy money. If weight wasn't an issue I'd either run a SWFA or try out the new Vortex diamond tactical but they are heavy.

First coat of primer just went on after a ton of sanding. Lot more sanding to follow.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I too have been thinking about getting the Howa 6.5 Grendel as well. I had the ar 6.5 and loved it. Should have never sold it!
I like the idea of a light weight powerful rifle with low recoil.
Plus it would be a good SHTF rifle considering you can get wolf ammo real cheap!
From what I read, it is.
Hell, I'd use it on coyotes too
~Wojo

Here are some threads about elk killed with a grendel. I personally don't believe I would carry mine for elk, however, that's just my personal preference. It has done the job many times before for other people. I have seen threads about bear and caribou kills also.

Elk ! ! Pics pg. 2 & 8 !!! LaRue's Great American Safari - Page 1 - AR15.COM

First Elk taken with my 6.5 Grendel

6.5 Grendel AR-15 vs ELK - YouTube

OP
J

JWP58

WKR

~Wojo

Pigs without a doubt, a .223 is fine to use. Elk? I think it is within reason. I will be using this rifle in the 2017-18 season. I'll be hunting pronghorn, deer, and elk. With elk I think choosing your shot is paramount. Broadside, stationary, and within 300yds would be a good starting point. We shall see (if im unsuccessful during archery season...which I will be).

McGilvra

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if that barrel could be threaded to 1/2x28 - with a lightweight can like an Omega a guy could have a scoped, suppressed mountain rifle around 6.75 lbs I reckon. Cool project, I've been thinking about one of these since I heard of the mini action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
33475441482_a9d14ef97e_b.jpg

No mag or ammo
33632001435_2de10f8a55_b.jpg

with mag and 5 rounds of Hornady 123sst
33502948931_9d832761cc_h.jpg

All together

I still need to cut a flip flop for a butt pad. But other than that the stock is done. I'll wait until I see how it shoots and decide whether I want to tackle bedding it, but the fit is really tight as is and it has aluminum pillars.

I'm kinda bummed the weight is so high with mag and ammo, but rumor has it some more companies are going to start making stocks for the mini so I might end up buying a super light stock down the road. But I am kinda surprised how well it came out looking, because in the beginning it looked like a hot mess.

Scope and rings to follow in a couple of weeks and then its off to the range, where I'll follow a "break in procedure" (per Howa) for the first time in my life.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Still not bad for what you are into it for.

What does the current stock weigh?

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Just a hair over 27oz. It was 27 before paint. I'm hoping Howa comes out with a 3rd mag too.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thats not that much more than a Kimber Montana OEM stock. Pretty good overall I'd say. Should be a fun little setup no doubt.

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
Well got my leupold vx1 2-7x33 lr duplex scope mounted in Talley low mounts. With 4rds of ammo it's 6lbs 8oz. Without ammo it's 6lbs 4oz. A little heavier than I wanted, but for under 600 bucks, it's hard to beat.

Interesting. I have been waiting to see what folks would be doing with the mini actions....pretty sweet for $600.

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
I just added up everything and it's actual cost is 642. That's with shipping.

I was suprised by the thump the grendel has (especially at 200yds on steel). I see this being a fantastic antelope/deer gun. I'll be using it for elk this year also.

Last edited: